100 Pushup Challenge Anyone?

What's Hot

Comments

• FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2386
    I'm superb at fitness - fitness entire pizza in my belly.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
    I can onnly do maybe 2--25 at a time. I do maybe 2-3 sets every 3-4 days, nothing major. Well done getting over 50 on one go - wow!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    62 in one go today.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17589
    tFB Trader
    I'm doing about 40 a day in total at the moment.

No advance on the continuous yet still 13
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1233
    Anything involving arm strength destroys me.
    I can lift two 25kg bags of feeding/tatties and walk 50 metres with them. I can shift a tonne of said bags 20 metres in to a shed in 10 minutes. I can cycle for hours. I can dig for hours. Situps not an issue. Leg lifts not an issue

Ask me to do press-ups/pullups/chin-ups, and I'm f**ked.

So for the past week, I have been making an effort to do pushups every day.
    I can manage 12 in one go, but have plateaued at that level, so have been mixing it up with 6 full, then 6 knee for the past couple days. I'll stick with that for a few more days, and then see if I can break the 12 barrier.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3320
    I’m doing 100 squat challenge and lunges. So far I can do the 100 squats but I’m having to stop at 50 lunges I’m 7 days in. 
    grungebob said:
    I’m doing 100 squat challenge and lunges. So far I can do the 100 squats but I’m having to stop at 50 lunges I’m 7 days in. 
    I've done 100 squats everyday for years now, ever since I broke my Patella and the physio told me that I needed to do squats daily in order to get my joint flexibility back. Lunges on the other hand.....just can't do them, they really "shred" my hamstrings which then hurt for days after.
    exocet said:
    grungebob said:
    I've done 100 squats everyday for years now, ever since I broke my Patella and the physio told me that I needed to do squats daily in order to get my joint flexibility back. Lunges on the other hand.....just can't do them, they really "shred" my hamstrings which then hurt for days after.
    I have pain in the area where my hamstring meets the back of my left knee after lunges or running, but I find icing it immediately for a few days means I can continue without any issues. 
    Tell me the squats get easier!?
    tFB Trader
    60 pushups over the course of the day yesterday. 

Pleased with that. 
    grungebob said:
    exocet said:
    grungebob said:
    I have pain in the area where my hamstring meets the back of my left knee after lunges or running, but I find icing it immediately for a few days means I can continue without any issues. 
    Tell me the squats get easier!?
    Squats are a simple power / weight exercise where your quads power you upwards....easier if you are not carrying too much excess. Lunges focus more on hamstrings, that’s where I struggle.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    At my peak, I could do maybe 50, whereas other people around me were doing loads more.

I finally figured it out when I started instructing: my push-ups were back straight, elbows touching side of body, down = chin to the floor, up = arms straight, whereas others were doing chin-dips.

So, the "number" of push-ups, on its own, can be a bit meaningless.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    prowla said:
    At my peak, I could do maybe 50, whereas other people around me were doing loads more.

I finally figured it out when I started instructing: my push-ups were back straight, elbows touching side of body, down = chin to the floor, up = arms straight, whereas others were doing chin-dips.

So, the "number" of push-ups, on its own, can be a bit meaningless.

Yep I do my pushups in a plank with my arms tucked and until my chest brushes the floor.

Managed 75 over the course of today in a session of 30 and another of 45.

Still finding it really hard to do much more than 10 in a row, but I figure once I get to the point where I'm doing 100 a day the number sustained will start going up on it's own.
    100 Today - 2 x 50 (First set in morning, 2nd set just now).

Can't do more than 60 in one go though.

tFB Trader
    Managed to do five sets of ten this morning without too much bother.

It's getting easier and I'm feeling stronger 

Slight twinge in a tendon in my right pec so I need to make sure I'm being careful.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4996
    Currently working on doing press ups twice a week. Saturday  i managed 4x15  and then 4x15 resistance band bench presses, 100 tricep pull downs with mini bands, 4x15 tricep extensions with resistance bands and 4x8 diamond cheat press ups. Bear in mind  110kg. Should I  be aiming to do more often? Currently trying to hit different areas each day. Will doing the same muscle group everyday have an impact on recovery?
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7104
    Reverend said:
    Will doing the same muscle group everyday have an impact on recovery?
    Yes and not a good one. Muscle growth occurs during recovery. If you don't let them recover they won't get big and strong like Popeye or Arnie.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    In addition to my squats and lunges I’ve taken to doing bench press at around 70% body weight. Only five reps each time but ten times a day. 
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7104
    grungebob said:
    In addition to my squats and lunges I’ve taken to doing bench press at around 70% body weight. Only five reps each time but ten times a day. 
    You could bang out the push ups easy if you're doing big bench press.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    edited May 2020
    Managed to do five sets of ten this morning without too much bother.

It's getting easier and I'm feeling stronger 

Slight twinge in a tendon in my right pec so I need to make sure I'm being careful.
    Bring your right hand so it’s almost in line with your armpit and take the left out wider. The right arm elbow wants to be pressed against you whilst the left one want to be out in line with your shoulder,your elbow on the left should be in line with your shoulder in the down position. That’ll relieve the right pec for a few days whilst strengthening the left. 
  • roundthebendroundthebend Frets: 1137
    My wife and I have been building up an exercise regime over the last few weeks, partly to get her a bit more motivated while she's not working. We started with doing 3x10 sets of push ups, adding one to each set every day. The following week we stayed at 15 and added a new exercise - lunges, using the same progression, then added crunches the following week.

We're now doing 3x15 push ups every day and it's getting easier. My arms and chest are noticeably building too. I'm making sure I do full range of motion. My wife has progressed from knee push ups to "proper" ones and, although she doesn't manage the full dip to the floor, she is doing 3x15 which is an immense success for her.

I tested myself though, and can only do 25 max in one set. It's good, I guess, but I'd hoped for more.