Piano is hard

What's Hot
Don't get me wrong, I didn't expect it to be easy. I completely expected it to be bloody difficult.

But after sailing through the bits about where to put my fingers and where the notes are on the keyboard, I've hit the part about getting my hands to play together. And it's all coming horribly unstuck.

Doing two different things with my hands accurately at the same time in this way is really hard. I've been stuck on the same lesson for several days now, but I'm getting there. I'm now just not very good at it, instead of completely unable to do it.

I'm also finding reading the music accurately (ie translating the notes on a stave to keys under my fingers) really hard, too. Putting it all together in a way that sounds like something approaching music is a bugger.

I now understand why kids struggle so much, and it's easier for them.
If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• rolls1392rolls1392 Frets: 235
    I'm also dabbling with learning piano.
    I think doing different things with both hands is the hardest bit.
    Just gotta keep bashing away I think.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9713
    There are other drills you can do away from the piano to help. Try stirring liquid with one hand whilst tapping the worktop with the other. 
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3654
    edited April 2020
    Although I've dabbled with keyboards for decades I got myself a digital piano for the first time towards the end of last year and decided to give it a serious go (although I've lapsed).  I found the two hands thing a bit difficult at first but stick with it, it will come.  I've even got the sustain pedal working (in the beginning I was almost using it like a kick drum pedal).
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3654
    There are other drills you can do away from the piano to help. Try stirring liquid with one hand whilst tapping the worktop with the other. 
    And if it doesn't help your piano playing it should enable you to fly a helicopter ;)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WhistlerWhistler Frets: 322
    Doing two different things with my hands accurately at the same time in this way is really hard.
    Are you a guitar player? Yea, I thought so. Two hand coordination can be learned, with lots of practice, and you have proved that you are capable on one instrument so a second one only requires time. Don't rush it; it will come.
    It's a bit like driving with the pedals in your car, it will become second nature. Bear in mind unless you're starting off with really difficult pieces, the right hand will almost always be playing the most intricate and interesting parts, so plenty of separate practice to get that part down by itself will help I think
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5467
    This is exactly where I became stuck with piano. Guitar is fine, playing independently with each hand, but as soon as I turn my left hand upside down to play piano...
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    edited April 2020
    I found the same thing when I had some time out of a band and started learning proper fingerpicking guitar with some Country Blues lessons by Stefan Grossman. Getting the right-hand thumb and fingers moving independantly rather than just bashing away with a pick felt impossible at first but there are repeatable exercises that help get muscle memory formed.

Good pianists amaze me, even more than good drummers who get both hands and feed moving in an independant yet co-ordinated way.
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1577
    edited April 2020
    When I was first learning I found playing scales two handed helped.

Try playing the scale of C (major) with the left and right hands - an octave apart obviously - at the same time.

Once you've got that cracked then play the scale with the left hand starting at Middle C only descending, and the right hand starting on the same Middle C note,  but ascending. (Easier to do than it is to describe I suspect). Get those two working together in parallel and you've started making inroads into getting both hands working together - and independently
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeah, I know, I just need to practise more. I bought the piano fully expecting to be locked down for weeks on end, but I've not had any extra time off at all. So I've not had the time I expected.

Yes, I am a guitarist, and playing fingerstyle is something I was able to do. I've forgotten most of the pieces I used to learn, but I was able to learn them. Yet piano has been a much bigger struggle for me.

And the Rocket Piano course I have has lots of scale exercises of that sort, I just need to force myself to find the time to get doing them.

Which I think is my biggest problem, really, as it was with the guitar - finding the time to practise properly.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 557
    edited April 2020
    Interesting, learning to play the organ introduces other challenges, such as playing the bass line with your left foot and modulating the swell pedal with your right foot.

For me, the right foot swell thing was unexpectedly difficult, it was like it got stage fright and froze. I just didn't have enough coordination skills left. I got there of a fashion in the end, but you could hardly call me a virtuoso. 

Another odd thing for me was sitting, but with all of your limbs flayling about!  :0)

btw: I find guitar harder.

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10404
    Here's the way I teach how to co ordinate and it's the way I was taught to do it. 

With you left hand play this Am arp in this order

A - C - E - A - E - C - A   so going from A through to the octave and back using these notes 

Now with your right hand start by playing a Higher A note every time you left hand starts the sequence. Just one simple A to begin with. Then add the C when your ready, then the E etc.  

It won't sound much but it will keep your hand coordinated which is all you need to be able to do in order to play complete bits of music ... your left hand outlining the chords .... the right hand playing the melody. Then in time comes tricks to make is sound more interesting.  I like to transpose guitar solo's from guitar onto the piano and then play the outline chords with my left hand ..... something like this where I have played the first solo from Comfortably Numb. Although the left hand part looks complicated it's really the simple trick I mentioned above with some extra notes added .... sometimes adding with the right hand while stepping on the sustain footswitch to keep the melody note ringing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MB55zq3PGg8

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Very nicely played, @Danny1969.

Thanks for the tip, I'll try that.

Btw, I especially like the handbag on the door handle in the background, bet it goes beautifully with your eyes ;) :D
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2020
    Scales and arpeggios, especially in contrary motion or in thirds, are so important on piano. A lot of really nice sounding piano music is made up largely of them, particularly arpeggios. Learning them will also help you learn to play  hands together, as that's a strength you'll need to build up to avoid sounding plinky plonky.

I always neglected learning them (especially the scales they make you do in parallel thirds, single handed. Even the chromatics!!! painful) and I think it held back my progress really when it came to the harder stuff. On the flipside I've never learnt scales or arpeggios on guitar, having never had a teacher, and I'm not sure if it would make the blindest difference whatsoever
  • @thecolourbox I agree about the arpeggios on the piano, because the course I have is big on those, and it's easy to hear in so many piano pieces, but I'm not so sure about it not mattering on the guitar - if you mean it's possible to play, say rhythm guitar without needing to learn arpeggios, then yes, that's true, but I personally believe they'd really help with playing lead and improvising, or using the guitar to create fingerstyle arrangements, or even the sort of little fiddly bits that really fill tunes out when it's just the guitarist singing solo, like Neil Finn or James Taylor do so much of.
    @thecolourbox I agree about the arpeggios on the piano, because the course I have is big on those, and it's easy to hear in so many piano pieces, but I'm not so sure about it not mattering on the guitar - if you mean it's possible to play, say rhythm guitar without needing to learn arpeggios, then yes, that's true, but I personally believe they'd really help with playing lead and improvising, or using the guitar to create fingerstyle arrangements, or even the sort of little fiddly bits that really fill tunes out when it's just the guitarist singing solo, like Neil Finn or James Taylor do so much of.
    I know what you mean, I'm sure scales and arpeggios on guitar helps some people on guitar but I don't think it would for me for what I play. 

The other thing they are good for on piano (and I presume other instruments) is they give people a ground knowledge of keys, notes of chords, harmony etc etc
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2325
    Danny1969 said:
    Here's the way I teach how to co ordinate and it's the way I was taught to do it. 

With you left hand play this Am arp in this order

A - C - E - A - E - C - A   so going from A through to the octave and back using these notes 

Now with your right hand start by playing a Higher A note every time you left hand starts the sequence. Just one simple A to begin with. Then add the C when your ready, then the E etc.  

It won't sound much but it will keep your hand coordinated which is all you need to be able to do in order to play complete bits of music ... your left hand outlining the chords .... the right hand playing the melody. Then in time comes tricks to make is sound more interesting.  I like to transpose guitar solo's from guitar onto the piano and then play the outline chords with my left hand ..... something like this where I have played the first solo from Comfortably Numb. Although the left hand part looks complicated it's really the simple trick I mentioned above with some extra notes added .... sometimes adding with the right hand while stepping on the sustain footswitch to keep the melody note ringing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MB55zq3PGg8

Hold your wrists up a bit old bean..Pretend there’s a mouse under each hand..
    liked the music tho.

ive been playing piano for a few years now.  I find it really interesting and have been doing my grades on it. Would heartily recommend getting lessons ( I get a lesson every two or three weeks).  I’d say do the trinity grades rather than ABRSM as the pieces tend to be more interesting and you can do things such as improvisation and compositions part of your grades.   
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28335
    I have greatly revitalised my piano playing under lockdown and I am loving it, especially as I have developed a way of playing that is great fun - I read the chord symbols and use them to create a backing whereby I can sing along (badly!) or just play along to recordings. No practice required, I just find chords and go, it's great fun!

I feel your pain though, as I experienced great trouble trying to learn the Chapman stick years ago. I learned some pieces and could play them OK (video evidence!) but  could never get proper hand interdependence going. I gave up in the end, but I still have the stick so I will pick up again one day.
  • Two hands working independently is difficult (let alone 10 digits).  i still struggling at times 2.5 years down the line.  It does get easier though.

Surprisingly playing guitar doesnt help - in fact the opposite is true, it actually hinders.  You may "Think" your two hands are independent playing guitar - but in fact there not.,  There used in tandem but together - that is they do different things to produce one outcome (is your plucking or strumming the strings you fretting) - so as far as you mind is concerned they work together.   With Piano thats not the case - there playing different patterns, in different keys, at different rhythms in many cases - truly independent.

• greejngreejn Frets: 127
    Try a Carole King approach, chords in the right hand and simple bass notes in the left, it's very solid. I've got articles on hubpages.com which may help.