LPJ Style Black limba build

What's Hot
Been meaning to share this for a while. This build has been going over a year as I just pick up a few hours on it every so often when I have the time and energy. First attempt at doing the whole build myself with very mixed results. Lots of flaws but won't dwell on them (or include pictures to point them out :) ). Will try not to make the post too picture heavy.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    So this is pretty much where I'm at right now:

Pick up will be an @OilCityPickups Blackbird that I got at the Guitar show in Birmingham. Bridge however I'm undecided on. Perhaps the one in the picture below:

Or I am tempted to go for a Tune-o-matic or LPJ style wraparound. Not sure yet

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MattNovakMattNovak Frets: 907
    edited May 2020
    Looks great! The world needs more LP Junior style guitars. How is limba to work with?

The string height / break angle at the bridge may help you decide between bridges - pop a straight edge on the fretboard and see how much clearance you have at the briidge end.

www.theflyingacesband.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    Great.   Loving that black limba - it looks amazing. I also like the unique Pickguard shape.  
  • JGTayJGTay Frets: 210
    Looking very nice. IMO the tune-o-matic or wraparound will look better, but I have always preferred them over the hardtail style bridge :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks for the comments all. Appreciate the advice and encouragement.

@MattNovak - Thanks, I have used a straight edge and the hardtail bridge works for how the neck heel is now however I don't mind getting a blockplane out and making it work for tune-o-matic or wraparound as @JGTay suggested. It would be less effort to go for the hardtail but I am tempted by the wraparound. Black limba is lovely to work with. Finished in about 12 coats of tru-oil above. First few coats using the Tru-oil slurry approach. Even doing it a few times there's still a little grain showing but I like it, works for the build imo.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skippy76skippy76 Frets: 615
    Looking good @eSully ;

Well, At last I got this put together and finished this weekend. Fully set up and delighted to say, by some fluke, it plays and sounds great so absolutely delighted with that. Here is how it ended up:

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27345
    Lovely looking piece of timber .... and looks like you’ve made a pretty good looking guitar out of it too.  

Congratulations.  Nice work.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    Looks proper cool man!
    Cheers both :)
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1756
    Nice work looks cool
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    That’s a nice piece of work. I like the simplicity and choice of hardware which state that it’s built for a purpose
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    agreed - look like it has "attitude".    bet it sounds great. 
    PeteC said:
    agreed - look like it has "attitude".    bet it sounds great. 
    Cheers, I'm happy with it, think it does sound great. Those Oil City Blackbirds are awesome pickups :)