THE FRETBOARD LOCKDOWN COVER CHALLENGE

What's Hot
Welcome to the first Fretboard Lockdown Cover Challenge (aka the 10th fretboard cover challenge)

The rules are simple - there are no rules*

We all start with the same song suggestion and record our own cover version. It's up to your imagination as to what you do with it. It could be faithful to the original or as out there as you wish. 

The idea is to share creativity and see how we end up with differing results from the exact same start point. Feel free to change key if needed for vocals. Feel free to go instrumental/spoken word/rap if singing isn't your thing. Feel free to share ideas in this thread or keep your hand close to your chest. Just have fun with it. 

The track to be covered has been chosen by the winner of the last challenge is....

Drum roll...

Ain't No Sunshine by Bill Withers  or  Genie In A Bottle by Christina Aguilera

Yes. That's right. There was a tie so @IMC1980 and @flying_pie both get to choose a song. That means you can cover whichever song you prefer. There's also nothing to stop you covering both if you want - it might split your votes and limit your chance of winning but it's not really about the win.

RULES:

Entries to be sent in mp3 format to the following Email address:

covers@thefretboard.co.uk

You may wish to submit artwork to go with your entry. It brightens up the playlist and might subliminally get you more votes but it's not mandatory. 

Entries close at 11.30pm on Friday 31st July

A playlist of all the entries will be posted in the Voting Thread and you will have approximately one week to vote. Vote for your top 3 with 5 points awarded  for first place, 3 points for second place and 1 point for third place. Entrants obviously aren't allowed to vote for their own entry. 

Unlike other challenges in the Cover Challenge the winner wins a prize - they get to choose the track to be covered for the next challenge. Please have ideas ready in advance as you will only have approximately 48hrs to PM your suggestion or The Management will decide for you. 

Good luck
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    Oooo! Saucy choices!....

having seen the excellent stuff posted recently by locked down fretboarders... I’m going to call out a few to enter... 

@welshboyo @Snags @fastonebaz @Barney @spark240 @fretfinder @timmypix @Vaiai @jamesoliver1234 to name but a few have all posted excellent videos and soundclouds during lockdown...

how about it fellas? And anyone else that fancies it!!!!!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    I'm hoping to have a go this time, I have a big with assessment interview on Tuesday but after that I shall need something to focus on to stop stressing about the result. Both excellent songs as well
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5327
    I'll have a ponder. I'm time poor, believe it or not, but I do need to know how drums work, so I may have a crack
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1808
    I’ll have a go!! Can we just use a generic backing track off them there interwebz or do we have to build from scratch?
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1806
    welshboyo said:
    I’ll have a go!! Can we just use a generic backing track off them there interwebz or do we have to build from scratch?
    Excellent.

And that's a very good question. So far we've all make our own tracks from scratch but the tendency is for people to do radically different covers (e.g. For the last challenge I covered Everyone's A Winner Baby in the style of System Of A Down) 

There's nothing in the rules to say that you couldn't use a backing track though
    Snags said:
    I'll have a ponder. I'm time poor, believe it or not, but I do need to know how drums work, so I may have a crack
    Good man
    edited May 2020
    welshboyo said:
    What ever you want:

Have a listen to some of the past challenges, should give you an idea of whats been done.

last one:
    https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sets/cover-challenge-no9-everyones

number 8:
    https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sets/cover-challenge-no8-crazy

number 7:
    https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sets/cover-challenge-no7-nine-to

• markvmarkv Frets: 459
    I'll throw my hat in the ring and try and have a bash. I did actually make a start on the previous one but ran out of steam and time (I was attempting to do Hot Chocolate in the style of The Verve ... ). Hopefully 3 months is enough time!
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4065
    Cheers @poopot ; but I've not got enough time to make a whole song.  Takes me 1000 takes just to record a solo lol

Cheers @poopot ; but I've not got enough time to make a whole song.  Takes me 1000 takes just to record a solo lol

I'm not surprised with the solos you play.

But there are 3 months to play with. That's surely enough time to record a Yngwie Malmsteem version of Ain't No Sunshine ;) 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 614
    I'll see iff I an get something done this week :)
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2304
    I'm in! I have a friend who likes to take isolated pop vocals and then write tracks to go underneath them, and he's very kindly furnished me with the isolated vocal for Genie In A Bottle. Now to dust off the 7 string...
    Tim
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 581
    I've had ideas.  For the first time in what feels like years .... now, if I can get my fingers working I might channel Dragonforce for this one.

If I can't it'll be Leonard Cohen ....
    Bezzer said:
    I've had ideas.  For the first time in what feels like years .... now, if I can get my fingers working I might channel Dragonforce for this one.

If I can't it'll be Leonard Cohen ....
    Haha. I'd love to hear either.

I had a couple of days spare so I'm at the mastering/referencing stage now and should have something in the playlist very soon! I've gone with Christina Aguilera meets Papa Roach

I then just need to work out if I'm going to destroy Bill Withers or give respect to what is a fantastic song 
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 141
    I then just need to work out if I'm going to destroy Bill Withers or give respect to what is a fantastic song 
    Wreck it!
    One of the slippyfists is gonna have a go a ruining both... not sure who yet tho’ ;)
    IMC1980 said:
    Wreck it!
    As you wish.  Shame I've done Rammstein recently. Es gibt keinen Sonnenschein has a nice ring to it.

Never mind, I'll find another way to ruin it forever 
    poopot said:
    One of the slippyfists is gonna have a go a ruining both... not sure who yet tho’ ;)
    Surely it has to be Withers rapey funk and Aguilera country. Although it would work really well the other way around too. 

I can see your dilemma 
    poopot said:
    Surely it has to be Withers rapey funk and Aguilera country. Although it would work really well the other way around too. 

I can see your dilemma 
    But you’re not taking into account the lesser heard “bunty slippyfist”... 
    I haz track...

anyone else got one? I can start a playlist.