THE FRETBOARD LOCKDOWN COVER CHALLENGE

What's Hot

Comments

• BezzerBezzer Frets: 581
    Its done!  It's finally done!  And I've sent it in.

As you've probably gathered by my ramblings this has been one hell of a challenge so I hope it's been worth the effort.  I think I've been working on it every day since we started in some form or another.  Writing the parts, learning the parts, failing to sing anything ... then my amazing friend Katie stepped up to the plate and did wonders.

Some stats for you :)
    Tracks used 74
    Takes on intro 86
    Takes on solo tapping section 103
    Vocal tracks supplied 14

Honestly though, this started out as a bit of fun but I've ended up insanely proud of it.  Really feels its been worth the effort, both in the recording and really learning new mix and master techniques (hell, I even bought a LUFs meter for this one) so I really hope you all like it too.

It's a shame my soundcloud has such a small listenership as I really think Katie should be heard more.  May look into something youtubey once we're allowed to actually work in person again.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    @Bezzer ;

got it, blasted it out in the garden, watch kids form mosh pit in pool.

will upload in a bit!!!!
    Ha ha ... guess it worked then :)
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 141
    Bezzer said:
    Its done!  It's finally done!  And I've sent it in.

As you've probably gathered by my ramblings this has been one hell of a challenge so I hope it's been worth the effort.  I think I've been working on it every day since we started in some form or another.  Writing the parts, learning the parts, failing to sing anything ... then my amazing friend Katie stepped up to the plate and did wonders.

Some stats for you :)
    Tracks used 74
    Takes on intro 86
    Takes on solo tapping section 103
    Vocal tracks supplied 14

Honestly though, this started out as a bit of fun but I've ended up insanely proud of it.  Really feels its been worth the effort, both in the recording and really learning new mix and master techniques (hell, I even bought a LUFs meter for this one) so I really hope you all like it too.

It's a shame my soundcloud has such a small listenership as I really think Katie should be heard more.  May look into something youtubey once we're allowed to actually work in person again.
    74 tracks and over 100 takes for a section!! Fucking hell mate, that is dedication. Looking forward to hearing this! I have been waist deep in original tracks recently, but I am going to jump on this next as a palate cleanser I think.
    @Bezzer - that is some face-melting guitar work, amazing!
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1806
    IMC1980 said:
    @Bezzer - that is some face-melting guitar work, amazing!

Agreed. Superb shredding on lead and rhythm. Good work fella
    Thanks chaps, appreciate it!  Its been a learning experience for sure.  Think it's paid off.

I should say, really this track should be sponsored by Fretwraps ... :)
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    FFS. I've decided to enter and mine and it sounds rather tame and straight compared to the rest.

I couldn't be bothered changed the amp in the Torpedo Captor, so the bass went through the DSL too. The keyboard part came from a midi I have of the track and the midi drums were developed from being inspired by All Along the Watchtower as the progression reminded me of that. 

I play bass in a cover band, so my guitar skills are much reduced than previously, so took ages to settle on which box to milk for the improv (I settled on G# Mixolydian), and managed to underachieve as usual.
    @pintspiller ; Good on ya!  It's all a bit of fun, all about joining in having a laugh and see how badly you can wreck an otherwise really good song!  I reckon your version sounds alright too!  Good work.

Don't worry about how other tracks sound, some of us take ... considerably more time that is really warranted, time that could be more usefully allocated elsewhere, on this stuff.  Just enjoy yourself and keep coming back for them, the more the merrier!
    Bezzer said:
    @pintspiller ; Good on ya!  It's all a bit of fun, all about joining in having a laugh and see how badly you can wreck an otherwise really good song!  I reckon your version sounds alright too!  Good work.

Don't worry about how other tracks sound, some of us take ... considerably more time that is really warranted, time that could be more usefully allocated elsewhere, on this stuff.  Just enjoy yourself and keep coming back for them, the more the merrier!
    This +1000, I have heard some amazing stuff over the past couple of years with this challenge; the best ones are when we have a load of entries!
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
    Sent mine in.

It's not a competition.
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5327
    @pintspiller I wouldn't worry. If I actually find the time to enter anything at all it's likely to be an extremely tame, straight, unproduced acoustic+vocal affair.
    edited June 2020
    Some info on my track just in case anyone is remotely interested (probably not).

I used the following VSTi's

NI Massive X for the bass line and keyboard chords
    NI Damage (in Kontakt 6) for the drums/percussion
    NI Rise & Hit (in Kontakt 6) for the woosh bangs
    NI Razor for the melody in vocoder mode, taking its audio input from the drum/percussion part.

The effects are Valhalla Room for the reverb plus a slight hint Valhalla Shimmer.
    On the master track there's T-Racks CS Prog EQ 1A. Plus Voxengo Elephant, which I also used in combination with Youlean Loudness Meter 2 to approximate the loudness and dynamic range of Back In Black by AC/DC, which I used as a reference track. But I'm still learning in that area.

It's not a competition.
    edited June 2020
    @stratman3142 i liked that! There’s a part of me though, a dark centre that’s probably not healthy, that kinda wanted the darker industrial feel to carry through the whole piece.

But, it’s all subjective init :-)  It’s still a dang fine piece of work! 
    edited June 2020
    Bezzer said:
    @stratman3142 i liked that! There’s a part of me though, a dark centre that’s probably not healthy, that kinda wanted the darker industrial feel to carry through the whole piece.

Totally get that. It's a great point and that's why I feel it's better to work with others. Maybe next time a collaboration or at least an exchange of ideas.
    It's not a competition.
    Bezzer said:

Totally get that. It's a great point and that's why I feel it's better to work with others. Maybe next time a collaboration or at least an exchange of ideas.
    Gotta say, a collaboration challenge is a fab idea! Might be tricky to arrange but would be amazing to hear the results. 
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1806
    Bezzer said:
    Bezzer said:

Gotta say, a collaboration challenge is a fab idea! Might be tricky to arrange but would be amazing to hear the results. 

As soon as I heard stratman3142's track I thought "that's bloody brilliant, I'd love to try some Dave Gahan style vocals over it" .

I'm sure we spoke about a collab before for Christmas but we didn't have enough time.I'd be totally up for one. 

Unfortunately I won't be able to play guitar for a while as I'm in hospital with a thing called Miller Fisher variant of Guillain-Barre syndrome. I've lost coordination in my hands and legs but hopefully it should recover okay although it takes weeks to months. Can still do vocals though