Helix Stomp vs Pod Go

What's Hot
monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17632
in FX tFB Trader
The Pod Go is has a load more switches and such than the Helix Stomp but is also cheaper.

So what does the Helix Stomp do that justifies it's higher price?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12907
    As posted  by @Digital_Igloo elsewhere:

Why is POD Go $200 cheaper than HX Stomp?

Here's what HX Stomp has that POD Go doesn't: A more powerful DSP (450MHz vs. 400MHz), dedicated MCU, MIDI In/Out/Thru, stereo ins, parallel paths, A/B and crossover splits, multiple amp blocks, multiple IR blocks, multiple cab blocks, dual cab blocks, 2048-point IR loading (POD Go truncates IRs to 1024 points), two separate mono effects loops, separate L/R return jacks/Aux In, 8 channels of USB vs. POD Go's 4, Distortion > Clawthorn drive, Distortion > Tone Sovereign, Delay > Cosmos Echo, Pitch/Synth > 3 OSC Synth, all stereo distortion/pitch/synth/dynamic blocks, all mono EQ/mod/delay/reverb/filter blocks, fully dynamic DSP allocation, 8 seconds of delay (vs. POD Go's 4 seconds), 60 seconds of looping (vs. POD Go's... 24 seconds? I forget), two variable impedance circuits (POD Go is fixed at 1M Ohm), patented 123dB dynamic range inputs (IIRC, POD Go is ~112-113dB), cap-sense switches, momentary stomp functionality (press-hold shortcuts preclude this), Clear Block, Clear All Blocks, preset compatibility with Helix Floor/Rack/LT/Native, a $300 discount on said Helix Native, metal knobs, an ultra compact cast aluminum enclosure that fits on any pedalboard (vs. POD Go's sheet metal and polycarbonate chassis), and any future features that apply only to Helix/HX boxes—for example, POD Go likely won't have enough DSP to accommodate polyphonic pitch models.

A lot of the above stuff is what makes a product "HX" or "Helix." Although it has nearly all the same amps and effects, POD Go is a different line for a different customer.

There's no strategic or sneaky reason for POD Go's price. As with all our products, it's based on hitting a target profit margin based on cost of development, parts, and labor.

Go nuts.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    The important differences for me are that it doesn't have parallel paths, and on the Pod Go quite a few blocks are "fixed": the EQ and Amp blocks can't be anything other than EQ or Amps, whereas on the Stomp you can have six delays if you want. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17632
    tFB Trader
    Brilliant thanks!

I'm trying to work out if I want one and if so which.
    There's quite a lot of info on this thread, which Digital Igloo has commented on:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/line-6-pod-go.2113195/page-28

Page 28 is where the stuff above came from. 
  • guitarcookie1guitarcookie1 Frets: 464
    From the pictures also the Stomp is very much smaller than the Go, if that matters. 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    Nick, have you looked at the Headrush? I'm not up to speed on spec comparisons with these others but for sounds, simplicity and layout, it stands up well
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Am I missing something, pre order prices for POD Go seem to be more than the HX Stomp.

i like simplicity of the Go, I wouldn’t miss most of the missing features, only thing I’d be worried about is the input, less dynamic range and fixed OHM, there’s numerous threads about getting the input right on the Helix for it sound good.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9554
    The HX Stomp is all conquering in this category, imho.
    tFB Trader
    dindude said:
    Am I missing something, pre order prices for POD Go seem to be more than the HX Stomp.

i like simplicity of the Go, I wouldn’t miss most of the missing features, only thing I’d be worried about is the input, less dynamic range and fixed OHM, there’s numerous threads about getting the input right on the Helix for it sound good.

I think I got confused :)
    tFB Trader
    Kebabkid said:
    Nick, have you looked at the Headrush? I'm not up to speed on spec comparisons with these others but for sounds, simplicity and layout, it stands up well

Most of the reviews I've seen suggest the amp modelling is quite poor.
    tFB Trader
    Can either of them be configured to have a line in?
    Stomp can. 

For what its worth, the Stomp manual is actually really good.

https://uk.line6.com/data/6/0a020a4010c935bb66a4c0c44f/application/pdf/HX Stomp Manual - English .pdf

Page 41 has the global in and out settings explained. 
    tFB Trader
    Stomp can. 

https://uk.line6.com/data/6/0a020a4010c935bb66a4c0c44f/application/pdf/HX Stomp Manual - English .pdf

Does that mean the pod can't?
    Stomp can. 

Does that mean the pod can't?
    Dunno, sorry. I have a Stomp and haven't paid much attention to the Pod. 
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    Having watched quite a few of these vids I think these are products aimed at very different markets. Hx stomp is designed to be part of a bigger rig and offer most of the Helix features and connectivity, and is for those that really need more complex options particularly for recording. 

Pod Go is designed to be a portable one stop shop package for gigging players that want something that is much simpler to use and can out of the box sound great without needing to have a better understanding of studio type tone building with more complex patches and chains and connectivity options. 

For my needs the Pod Go sounds like it could be just what I need. A simple to use lightweight compact all in one gigging tool that sounds great and can be used in 3 different modes.  If each block has an amp, cab, EQ, wah and volume that's brilliant for me because those are the core things I'd want in a gigging patch. 

I can still have any amp, cab, wah, or EQ I want.  On top I have free rein with 4 other blocks e.g. a modulation, reverb, delay and distortion. I don't really need anything more. It has a single button operation for patch up/down and for switching modes. 

I think a lot of folk get impressed at the spec of things like Helix and Hx Stomp but in reality they'd never use half the features.  Kind of like buying a state of the art dishwasher or washing machine with umpteen functions, options and programs...But in reality they'd only ever use only a couple of programs and have spent more money for things they don't need. It's like 'I'll go for the more advanced version just in case I need it and it's nice to have the extra options'...But then never use them. 

Me, I like things that are simpler to use and do the job I need so for me, of the two, it's Pod Go all the way.  :)
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 755
    edited May 2020
    It seems people are expecting a lot from this Pod Go! I feel like I get where it's aimed but some are struggling with the idea it's not a mini helix. 

For example - my brother has a Mexican Strat he's owned since he was 15 and a Peavey bandit, plus a few cheap pedals I just gave him rather than flogging for pennies on eBay. He doesn't know what a 'cold' biased amp is, or what a variable impedance circuit will do to a Fuzz, or the difference between line and instrument level, or what a King of Tone is. He would be the target audience for the Pod Go - someone who's never done digital guitar before but wants something that will last and isn't old tech. Casual or gigging musicians in covers bands wanting to go direct too. 

I don't get why the two are being considered against each other? Surely anyone considering both just needs a Stomp with an external footswitch?
    tFB Trader
    For me it's just understanding what the use cases are really.

A Helix or LT doesn't justify the cost (for me) and is too big.

I want something like my old 2.0 Bean which is one of the best things I ever bought so something called POD appeals to me and seems like the obvious choice, but actually the Stomp is much more suitable to put on a desktop because it's small and doesn't have a treadle (which I don't need). It also integrates with a pedal board better so I can replace a delay and reverb with it which justifies the cost better.

I'm quite capable of working with something complex, but I don't earn money from music any more so it's a fun thing rather than a professional thing and simple is fun.

I watched Henning's review of the Go yesterday and I thought he was absolutely on the money that they needed to make the list of effects smaller and maybe lower the price a bit.
    Having 50 amps is actually one of the things that I didn't like about the GE200.

The old POD was great for that. Clean = Twin, Rock = JCM 800, Metal = Recto, Shred = Soldano, one knob, job done.

Something with the exact lots of knobs and no screens interface of the POD 2.0 but the modelling of the Helix for £300 and I'd be all over it.
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1656
    Coming from a POD 2, POD HD500x background I have decided I want the HX tones, I want the built in expression, i want the cheaper than helix lt price, I want the smaller form factor and I am happy with the simplicity of the POD Go.

I agree the stomp and the Go are aimed at different people, as is the Helix.. that is basically why despite the Go having the HX sound algorithms it has the POD moniker
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    edited May 2020
    I've had a read through of the Pod Go manual.  Similar to the Zoom G5n if you want to use a looper it uses up one of the 4 optional blocks and isn't global which is a bit of a nuisance. On the plus side you do get a full 6 button looper operation.  I've also noted that for two core functions it's a 'two buttons at once' operation which is a pain.  However, I have 2 Bespeco momentary switches and a Y cable that in theory should work with the Pod Go and I'm looking to see if that will give me single pedal operation for those tasks.  

But the more I think about it, I'm now less sure if 4 optional blocks is going to be enough. Eg if I add a distortion, modulation, delay & reverb I have no room for a compressor.  And even if 4 blocks are OK, I then have no room for a looper - so looper usage is limited as you can't use it for any patch with more than 3 optional blocks.  I do now think the Pod Go needs 6 optional blocks. 

I'm also not entirely sure why Line 6 went down the route of 'fixed' 5 blocks. Why not have an option to release at least some of these?   
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • I've used my HX Stomp for over a year now and I love it. But I have to say that if the Pod Go had been around at the same time I would undoubtedly have gone with the Go. I think I'm definitely in the same boat as @Voxman in terms of what I want/need out of a MultiFX/Modeller. I'm sure the Stomp is more capable at the fancy, high end audio-interface/studio oriented kinda things, but in the year I've had it I've never once even thought about looking into how that side of things works.

I have considered trading in my Stomp and replacing it with a go, but I think for the ££ shortfall between a 2nd hand Stomp and a brand new Go it makes more sense to just get a cheap external double-footswitch and mini-exp pedal to attach to the Stomp. Maybe in 6-12 months time when they start to come on the used market....