Anyone else into funky jazz fusion?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
I'm sure that this thread will die on its arse like most 'here's a music video that I like' threads, but what the hell.

I like Jazz fusion a lot and I like funky jazz fusion a lot (I'm saving up for a thesaurus).

Anyway, I have always been a fan of Japanese band Casiopea, but I found this wonderful live video, CASIOPEA vs THE SQUARE full LIVE. Basically a 2h 45m live concert featuring the two bands playing together. It's wonderful stuff, basically some excellent musicians just having a blast. I've been playing it a lot in the past couple of weeks whilst working, it's my go-to concert.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBD1_mrRUIk
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2198
    edited May 2020
    I saw Casiopea live at the Hammersmith album around the time of their Mint Jams album, so I think that would be the early 80s. Great musicians. One lasting memory was that the kick drum was so punchy I could really feel it (almost painfully) in my chest.

It was a strange sight at the time because they wore, what looked like, matching Judo type outfits and would do little dance moves.

Much respect for their incredible musicianship, but I find some of it can get a bit too 'smooth jazz' and slick for my current tastes.

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17634
    tFB Trader
    It sounds exactly like the Mario Kart 8 soundtrack.

Which considering that's all done by Japanese jazz fusion musicians is probably no surprise.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6137
    That was great, so uplifting, thanks for posting it up.

I'm a big fan of this stuff since 'discovering' people like Morrissey Mullen back in the early 80s. It was then on to bands and musicians like Sypro Gira, David Sanborn and Larry Carlton. A lot of it was due to me being a 'serious' bass player back then and this was the sort of music that was both popular at the time and a challenge to play.

One of pretty much, my all time favourites..

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    I saw Casiopea live at the Hammersmith album around the time of their Mint Jams album, 

Great album! There's a fantastic slap bass solo on the track Domino line.

• RomainRomain Frets: 15
    I dig quite a lot the Miles Davis, fusion period (late 60s to late 70s). 

Fusion albums I can only recommend are:
    -Bitches Brew, Big Fun, Agharta from Miles.
    -Sextant from Herbie Hancock,
    -Elegant Gipsy Al Di Meola,
    -Wind Parade from Donald Byrd.

• JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 908
    I like 20 Jazz Funk Greats
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 908
    Romain said:

I'm a big fan of the Miles Davis albums In A Silent Way, Jack Johnson and On The Corner from that period, great stuff.

Also the first 2 Mahavishnu Orchestra albums and a couple of Weather Report's too.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
    Here's Larnell Lewis, the incredible drummer with Snarky Puppy doing a Zildjian special.
    Funky insane fusion :open_mouth:

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Oh yes .. some obscure gems ..

Special EFX

Marcus Miller, George Duke and David Sanborn

And UK band Freeez

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RomainRomain Frets: 15
    Romain said:

I'm a big fan of the Miles Davis albums In A Silent Way, Jack Johnson and On The Corner from that period, great stuff.

Also the first 2 Mahavishnu Orchestra albums and a couple of Weather Report's too.
    Mahavishnu is on my list! I find McLoughing fantastic on when working with Miles. 
    His album a Night in San Francisco with Paco De Lucia and Al Di Meolia is definitely worth listening.
    Romain said:

His album a Night in San Francisco with Paco De Lucia and Al Di Meolia is definitely worth listening.
    Superb record! I also really like his Live at the Royal Festival Hall

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Kudos @fretwired. thanks for those videos.
    Great to see Sanborn, Miller and Duke in such great form! :)
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12382
    edited May 2020
    axisus said:
    Romain said:

Superb record! I also really like his Live at the Royal Festival Hall

Also worth checking out the fairly recent John McLaughlin/ Jimmy Herring Live in San Francisco album. Herring is a big fan of the Mahavishnu Orchestra material and it really shows on this album, it’s full of the classic early tracks. I’ve been a big John Mac fan for years but Jimmy does a brilliant job here....some of his playing actually blows JM into the weeds, on his own material. 
    boogieman said:
    Also worth checking out the fairly recent John McLaughlin/ Jimmy Herring Live in San Francisco album. 
    An interesting sounding combination, I wouldn't have put the two of them together.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    If you check out Aquarium Rescue Unit with Jimmy Herring, you'll find some very tasty playing 

• GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2641
    The thing with the music in the original post is that in theory I'd like it - I love McLaughlin and Bruford/UK, that sort of thing - but this particular part of the genre sounds like it needs someone who used to be a Radio 1 DJ trying to sell you on the benefits of a timeshare over stock footage of Marbella. Or, you know, something like that. 

McLaughlin is transcendent, though - the video of McLaughlin, Coryell and de Lucia at the Royal Albert Hall blew my admittedly tiny mind when it was on Channel 4 in the early 80s.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2641
    (By the way, that really is a problem I have with the music, not meaning to be snarky for its own sake - it was sort of co-opted by a naff level of the video production industry so that it's difficult to hear it as music in its own right any more.)
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1946
    Love John Scofield's Blue Matter period. Denis Chambers is a monster drummer.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12382
    sweepy said:
    If you check out Aquarium Rescue Unit with Jimmy Herring, you'll find some very tasty playing 

Was it you that sent me a ARU cd once? I know I bought a load of cds from someone on here years ago and they put a couple of freebies in, including the ARU one. It’s a really good album, Jimmy Herring is a monster player.