Yamaha Reface CP - any experience?

What's Hot
I'm bored in lockdown - aren't we all?

Been seriously thinking of getting an digital piano - learned to Grade 2 when I was about 8 but gave up (I'm 53 now). But I've always been able to tinkle a tune a bit and vamp some chords / play a little bluesy solo when the chance arises.  Having thought further, I doubt that I'd have the application to learn from scratch again, wouldn't care to learn to read music (which I can no longer do) or practice classical pieces so don't think £500+ is a worthwhile investment for a decent digital piano.  

So...

Came across this little Reface thing earlier and although its tiny, as far as I can tell its very playable and would allow me to pump out some Supertramp and Billy Joel (assuming I can learn them, of course) for shits and giggles. Always loved the Fender Rhodes sound and this seems to do it well. 

Anyone any experience - specifically with the mini keys. Did it feel like a toy?

Thanks, in advance
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    Or... would I be better spending a bit extra a just getting a Roland FP10 or similar?

Decisions...
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 841
    edited May 2020
    Depends what your looking for.

The Reface units are definitely not toys.  There are a lot of synths with mini keys - and the Reface ones are among the best.  All3 Reface units are decent for what they are and sound great.

They are however basic, and they are minikeys.  There are other synths with minikeys for not much more that do a lot more IF minikeys arnt the problem.   There are basic workstations/pianos etc with full sized keys for not much more either.

If its something you will use as a tool longer term - Id say find something that would cover all - or most - of your needs/goals (which may actually be a reface of course).  If its for something to play with and learn stuff on during lockdown - the Reface wouldnt be a bad bit of kit to do that on.

Your never going to be able to play piano on one though...... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2020
    Cheers - that's useful. 

Not sure I want to learn piano as much as learn a few songs to amuse myself and I think I prefer the electric piano sounds for what I want to learn.  Good to know they aren't considered toys - I'm pretty much new to keyboards, so that's helpful. 

Decision is whether to buy an 88 key digital piano which might not get a massive amount of use and will still take up a fair bit of space, or go for the smaller reface type unit for a bit of fun. 

Any suggestions for potential other minikey synths would be welcomed though - definitely more into the vintage electric piano / hammond type stuff than pads / saw waves etc. If there's something under the £400 mark that would do both well, please let me know - Yamaha MX49/61 perhaps?

Thanks again
    edited May 2020
    Yeh - the Yam MX boards are great for bread and butter "keys" sounds.   If your more into pianos/EPs/organs than bleeps/pings/evolving textures Id probably suggest thats where to look.  The 61  gives you more real estate of course but at that larger footprint.  Either would be more keys than the reface, and provide full sized keys for piano/EP/organ styles.

You could look at a Roland DS 61 - a bit more than the MX61 new but if you found a used one might fit the bill.  More to it - and quite versatile... but it may be spending more just to spend more.   Might provide a longer lifespan before you want to move up a tier.... but you may never feel the need to do that so??

Im primarily a guitarist (though Ive always had a workstation of some sort around since the late 80s) - but wanted to learn piano as I approached 50 (2 1/2 years ago).  I spent a lot on a Roland RD2000 - basically because the keybed was fabukouse and the sounds (to my un piano trained ear) were nicer and fuller than most sampled boards.    

A lot of investment..... but it led me down the keys route - and I knw have an FA07 as well (which Im already looking at switching for a new Fantom 7) along with a dedicated organ module, and 2 synth modules (a Novation Peak and a Virus Ti2) - and again Im looking at a DSi  synth as well.

Despite having many £1000 locked up in my guitars and rig.... Ive barely touched them in 18 months.  I almost have to force myself lol.

The thing about keys is playing a raw piano sound is just so much more soothing and all encompassing than guitar - and when your board of that a button push gets you into organs, and another gets you lost in evolving  atmospheric stuff.  Theres always something to learn in either technique, or sound design whatever your mood.

Im actually considering selling all but 2 of my guitars to fund more key/synth related stuff.  Its very engrossing.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5416
    The Reface CP sounds amazing, and although the keys are mini, the action is great, so they are remarkably expressive. There is also a "hidden" acoustic piano inside them, achieved by setting the dials to some strange places.

I think you would be doing well to start with a CP and then in theory you could just add a MIDI controller later if you want full-size keys and use the CP as a de facto tone generator.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    @paulmapp8306 ; - again, really helpful thanks. I think there's a possibility I'll fall down a rabbit hole too...

@Whitecat - yes, very tempting coz the demos sound fantastic. Decisions, decisions....  

One final query - if I went for the MX49 I'd have to buy a keyboard amp or monitors. In the meantime, do you think I could use a desktop amp I have - Vox Adio GT thingy - which has a flat speaker setting to get me started. Alternatively could use the headphone out to the aux in? it's a fairly loud little unit for its size and I'm only playing at home.

Choice is basically Reface CP, MX49 or a digital piano at this stage - budget is around £400 ish so don't have the funds to splurge on a keyboard amp just yet. 
    Well that escalated quickly. 

Deal done on a Reface CP (Cheers!).  Wish me luck
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7768
    Reface can be used with a larger controller so it's an easy choice. Get min 61 keys
    The CP will do you well for sounds.  You can always add a controller - or in fact any board with full sized keys down the line if you wish/feel the need for a more keys, or larger ones.

You could for instance get a pure synth with full sized keys (37, 49 or 61 key) to dig into synthesis - and use that keybed to drive the CPs sounds for your piano/organ/EP stuff. 
    Great - I think I may have found a new rabbit hole to fall down...  I may pick your brains later down the line for more guidance but appreciate all the help so far. 
  • StephenBStephenB Frets: 75
    @Chuffola ; where did you get yours? I've been looking for one for ages and I'm on the hunt for a deal :)

Thanks!
    @Whitecat is selling me his - now either this is because, as he says, he's since bought it's bigger brother or he's completely fooled me and it's rubbish and he wants rid of it.   =)

Should have it quite soon so I'll update on my thoughts. It looks perfect for what I want right now.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5416
    edited May 2020
    Chuffola said:
    @Whitecat is selling me his - now either this is because, as he says, he's since bought it's bigger brother or he's completely fooled me and it's rubbish and he wants rid of it.  

Should have it quite soon so I'll update on my thoughts. It looks perfect for what I want right now.
    Ha! Indeed I just got a CP73 a couple months ago so the Reface has been unloved in the meantime - am pleased it's going to a nice new home.
  • VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
    I absolutely love my Reface CP, I've got an Ultranova and a Monologue (which I know are totally different things, really) but the CP has so much pick-up-and-play appeal. The FX section is bloody brilliant, and it's all laid out so nicely. On top of that, it's a handy midi controller. I've managed to hold off grabbing any of the other Reface series but I know it's only a matter of time!
    @Whitecat - you have mail.