Did a cover of Man on the Moon by R.E.M. and it got out of hand...

What's Hot
CirrusCirrus Frets: 8481
I thought this'd be a way to spend a Saturday afternoon. It's just finished, and it's Tuesday night. Video editing always takes ages!

I recorded it all into Studio One as I videod, and mixed it. Might come as a shock but the Duck drums are mimed - I don't have any drums here at home, so the kick and snare are BFD3.
0reaction image LOL 27reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BezzerBezzer Frets: 581
    Man that was freakin’ awesome! It would’ve taken me four days to record all the parts let alone mix it and make a video.
    The vocal harmonies in particular were great. Really splendid job fella, enjoyed that a lot!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1806
    Outstanding job. That was fantastic. Not just great musically but also perfect humour in the video. Really impressive. 

(shameless plug: be great to see that talent in the lockdown cover challenge...) 
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Chuffin' brilliant....loved that.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    Wow - I love that song and that version is a match for the original.

Who knew slide ukelele and duck percussion were even things!
  • kinkin Frets: 1015
    Totally ace, really enjoyed that, thanks
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 141
    Loved it, as others have said; the vocals and harmonies were a particular highlight. Great mix and video as well!
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3124
    Wow...that was great and it just reminded me how awesome REM were too!
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4671
    Very impressive and effing brilliant
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2014
    Outstanding!
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26754
    Excellent. Really enjoyed that.

I really must get my head around this recordign malarky.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4423
    Brilliant. Have a wow.
  • camfcamf Frets: 1190
    Outstanding work on all fronts. 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4947
    As others have said, outstanding.  Have another Wow!
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8481
    Aww thanks guys  :)
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6256
    That's cracking, quality job!
  • midiman1962midiman1962 Frets: 100
    Absolutely Excellent - especially the vocal sound - great work
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    That was insane!! Apart from the excellent sound/arrangement/playing/singing, how on earth did you put together a video like that??

Great job. And I'm so envious of anyone who can sing, my voice is just unusable.

How much is Studio One? is it hard to learn. I'm not good with new stuff ...
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5327
    Ah. Yes. That's why I don't look at this stuff often. Absolutely fantastic.

I'm just off to cry in the corner, with or without my religion ;)
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8481
    Thanks fellers!
    axisus said:
    That was insane!! Apart from the excellent sound/arrangement/playing/singing, how on earth did you put together a video like that??

Great job. And I'm so envious of anyone who can sing, my voice is just unusable.

How much is Studio One? is it hard to learn. I'm not good with new stuff ...

The video actually came together easier than I thought it would. I'd just been recording it on my phone as I recorded, then when I looked at the folder of 20-something vids it felt a bit like I'd never be able to work out how to put it all together.

But... in Premiere Pro (for that is what I arbitrarily subscribed to a couple of years back) I just started dragging the videos into the timeline, lining them up with the mixed audio which is a surprisingly easy job since you can see the peaks etc on the mixed audio and live phone video audio (which is obviously then just muted and removed from the timeline), and just going from there.

At the start it was easy... you just have that first video, occupying the whole screen. Then I knew the cabasa was just a minor thing the whole way through, so it made sense just to give it an inset box rather than shift the acoustic guitar video. Then the slide guitar enters... and it just made sense to mirror the cabasa's inset window idea to make it symmetrical. Then at the same time, the lead vocal & two harmonies enter. And at that point I realised that the layout would shift at fixed points - they were basically scenes informed by the size and shape of the musical arrangement at any given point, and somethings were important (lead vocal) and other things were incidental (cabasa, tambourine etc) and could just be shifted round to make room for other things.

It got complicated at points, because Premiere Pro's tools for scaling, positioning, cropping clips etc aren't very intuitive. But the basic workflow was simple - without the video playing, I just had it sat on a given moment in each scene and moved all the clips in view around so they all fit on the screen and worked together. Layering made it easier - if a video is on the top layer it's really important that all 4 corners are positioned correctly (unless any corners are beyond the edge of the screen, then it doesn't matter). But if a video is not on the top layer, its edges are obscured by any neighbouring video that's on a higher layer than it. So... all that really mattered was that the exposed edges were carefully positioned to create a grid that wasn't wonky, and that the video was scaled appropriately so that you could make out what was happening. I realised that the horrific sight of loads of me meant that you didn't need to see my head in every clip, which made it much easier because I could just zoom in on the instrument/ hands in some of them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3124
    That's really interesting.

I saw a YouTuber talking about making vids the other day: it's a very strange pursuit to spend eight hours a day seeing and hearing your own 'talking head' right in front of you ;)

On a practical note, how much raw footage did you generate...and does that all get imported to the video project...and what's the final size of the project?