Recommended Luthiers & Techs

What's Hot

Comments

• Barnezy said:
    Hi guys, looking for someone to do a small fret level, polish and setup near High Wycombe. Any recommendations? 
    Richard Pilkington is just north of Reading.

http://readingguitarrepairs.com/about/
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ftumch said:
    Looking for a reccomendation for a refret on a les paul near Reading, anyone? Thanks

You have probably had this done by now but Feline is well worth the travel. I am a 2 hour drive each way but i have a custom with jumbo frets and a compensated nut that plays like butter! They will be doing my other Les Paul after ive paid for my new kitchen lol
  • ETJC said:
    Hi all, I’ve just moved to Brighton from Penge. I could drive all the way back to Feline Guitars who I’ve used a couple of times and had a good experience with, but does anyone recommend anyone nearer? Thanks. 
    I recently had some electronics work done by Nathan @ Brighton Guitar Workshop and was impressed, especially as another luthier had not been able to fix the issue. 
  • Mike58Mike58 Frets: 162
    David Bryce at The Wee Guitar Company, Cathcart Rd , Glasgow.
    Very nice guy, does, setups, fretwork and electronics. Gave me sound advice with a warped neck guitar... and importantly knows what not to do.

1059 Cathcart Road

Glasgow

Scotland

G42 9AF

info@the-wee-guitar-company.com

0141 374 0477

• Can anyone suggest a good guitar tech in the Newcastle/Sunderland area to remove some active pickups and install a set of passives. I think I have everything I need but don't know how to do it myself. I tried the link to the suggested tech at the start of this thread for Newcastle but it didn't amount to much. I think it's a little out of date as Chris George moved from Tattershall in Lincolnshire several years ago.
  • NPPNPP Frets: 236
    edited March 2022
    JT96 said:
    Can anyone recommend a luthier in Sheffield? I’m looking at having my Martins fitted for some pickups with some drilling involved, very cautious of accidentally handing it to a cowboy with the money I’ve spent already!

I know you posted this a while ago, but for anyone looking in Shefield/South Yorkshire I recommend Ozzy Owl. Here's his site with a  breakdown of some of the work he's done:

that's very useful info for when I finish my current Tele partscaster and will need someone competent to do the final setup and the nut. 

• stufisherstufisher Frets: 845
    It's a tad further for you but I'm sure it'll get you what you need. My recommended tech is David Robinson ... he lives in County Durham (about 30 mins from The Toon) ... very skilled, very easy to get on with and very customer-focused.

Contact him by email first:

heartandsoul@btinternet.com
  • stufisher said:
    It's a tad further for you but I'm sure it'll get you what you need. My recommended tech is David Robinson ... he lives in County Durham (about 30 mins from The Toon) ... very skilled, very easy to get on with and very customer-focused.

Contact him by email first:

heartandsoul@btinternet.com
    Perfect, thank you very much. The only guitar techs and luthiers I know are in Lincolnshire, where I used to live. I'm living in Kuala Lumpur at the moment but will be returning to the UK in a few months and moving back to the North East, where I was born. This means I can get my guitar up to speed really quickly so I'm really grateful. I'll email him about a month before I fly.
  • Really can’t praise Bill @Corvus enough, absolutely top notch chap and really quick work, if anyone in Cambridgeshire/surrounding areas needs work doing, give him a shout 
  • High praise for Jack at Mayall's guitar shop in Conwy. He fixed a new nut on my Taylor acoustic, after a botched jop by someone else who will no longer get my business! Really friendly and informative. The shop's great too, can see myself buying guitars there soon. Just fantastic to have such a shop in the north Wales area. 

Mayall's Music Co. - North Wales' Leading Family Run Music Store (mayalls.co.uk)
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1844
    High praise for Jack at Mayall's guitar shop in Conwy. He fixed a new nut on my Taylor acoustic, after a botched jop by someone else who will no longer get my business! Really friendly and informative. The shop's great too, can see myself buying guitars there soon. Just fantastic to have such a shop in the north Wales area. 

Mayall's Music Co. - North Wales' Leading Family Run Music Store (mayalls.co.uk)
    Is that your Taylor Acoustic being fixed in a photo on the homepage,with the blue tape around the nut area?
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3024
    edited May 2022
    High praise for Jack at Mayall's guitar shop in Conwy. He fixed a new nut on my Taylor acoustic, after a botched jop by someone else who will no longer get my business! Really friendly and informative. The shop's great too, can see myself buying guitars there soon. Just fantastic to have such a shop in the north Wales area. 

Is that your Taylor Acoustic being fixed in a photo on the homepage,with the blue tape around the nut area?
    Yes it is. The nut slots had been cut too low and filled back up with superglue by the previous tech…. Mayall’s to the rescue
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dav275Dav275 Frets: 293
    If anyone needs a guitar tech in Ayr, I'd recommend Scott at http://ayrshireguitarrepair.co.uk/contact

He's just done some repairs and a full setup to mine, and it's come back better than new.

(posted this a while ago, but think it was in the wrong section, so repeated here).
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 815
    @SteveRobinson aka 'Manchester Guitar Tech'
    I took an acoustic guitar to him today to sort out the nut slots.

Steve did an incredible job -and a lovely pleasant chap to boot.

Very, very pleased :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RkphilpotRkphilpot Frets: 170
    edited June 2022
    Jon Shuker built me a beautiful T Type to my exact specifications, it's stunning. 

He's also one of only 2 (I believe) licensed to install the evertune bridge. 
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bluecatbluecat Frets: 571
    Yes it is ,I agree beautiful, can't say more. Enjoy.
  • AndyGT75AndyGT75 Frets: 84
    Phil at Bristol Guitar Tech (BGT) did a fret job for me on my Telecaster and did a great job. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Hi, can anyone recommend a guitar tech around the Worcester area?

• MellishMellish Frets: 945
    @chunkmonk ; - try Really Great Guitars.

Never used them so it's not a recommendation but they seem to get good reviews :) 
  • Garold86Garold86 Frets: 123
    Shout out to George Pearson in Epsom, who just sorted out the neck on my 80's MIJ Tele, installed a new wiring harness, and got it playing like an absolute dream. And for a very reasonable price too.