Recommended Luthiers & Techs

What's Hot

Comments

• I would really encourage people to learn how to setup their own guitars, to be honest it is not amazingly difficult and you can buy most of the stuff you need to do it for the cost of 1 pro setup.

Obviously thing like re-frets and repairs are a different kettle of fish.
    Old Is Gold
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MazzaGMazzaG Frets: 82
    edited April 2014
    Seeing as I'm a novice with a soldering iron I'd prefer to get my guitar rewired by a pro, however i have been quoted £75 which seems a bit steep to me? This would include all new components as well(pots, switch etc). The general price I keep reading is about £50...

I would do it myself but it's really not something I'd feel comfortable doing, I took one look at a Strat wiring diagram and nearly vomited.

I'm in the Cheshunt (Herts) and North London area.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    Best quality parts will cost £35. A strat needs the strings off and refitted etc. I don't think that £75 is too bad a price.
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2592
    Has anyone used Rod Vaughan (Edinburgh) for a re-fret?  Happy with the work?
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • JeztoneJeztone Frets: 27
    edited April 2014
    Another +1 for Feline in Croydon & also when I lived in the East Mids Northworthy in Ashbourne Derbyshire. There a bit out of the way, but they did a respray on my old Ibanez & a Fret Dress on my Yamaha SG1300t back in the day. Very reasonable prices & were dead helpful. Their acoustic guitars are beautiful too.
  • Anyone recommend a luthier in south wales
  • geepers0677geepers0677 Frets: 119
    Recommendation for Ray Brett in East Northants.

• bennyg85bennyg85 Frets: 64
    Has anyone used Darren Hampton at Wymondham, near Norwich?

Ben
  • big thumbs up for Dave Dearnaley Cardiff.

Took my jem there for a set up as it needed something more than what i can do - the guy is a wizard - his workshop is amazing - he builds his own extremely well respected guitars - he had a les paul on his wall which he was in the process of building which looked amazing (if you google his name you will see he built a guitar for Dave Grohl).

anyway he took a look at my guitar - looked down the neck when i was there and spotted the problem frets without me having to tell him. gave my guitar a light fret dress, sorted out the trem which needed a bit of work and now i have the best playing guitar i have ever felt. 
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7161
    Howard Smith in Leicester. Terrific prices / service / chap http://howardsmith.co.uk/howardsmith/hsgrs.htm
  • xwolf5150xwolf5150 Frets: 180
    Dave Dearnaley made real mess of my strat so I don't recommend him. Sorry. Guy used a chewing gum wrapper as a bloody shim for the nut !!!!
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Any amazing ones in Cambridgeshire/Ely? If not I'll try that fella in Peterborough.
  • Any amazing ones in Cambridgeshire/Ely? If not I'll try that fella in Peterborough.
    No one? :( 
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Any amazing ones in Cambridgeshire/Ely? If not I'll try that fella in Peterborough.

Amazing tech in Bedford........not too far.

Call 'The Music Centre' and chat to Ross about his Tech called Rob Bond.

Friends of mine and very good, very nice people.

• Alnico;245254" said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:

Any amazing ones in Cambridgeshire/Ely? If not I'll try that fella in Peterborough.

Amazing tech in Bedford........not too far.Call 'The Music Centre' and chat to Ross about his Tech called Rob Bond.Friends of mine and very good, very nice people.
    Thanks ever so much. I have 3 jobs on at once, prs alike needs a full set up and nut cut, Ltd needs a nut, fret dress and set up for BADGBE tuning and I've assembled a bass... Which I want tuned BEAD.

Not asking for much, am I?
  • funstuiefunstuie Frets: 77
    Pedro Martin based in hove/Brighton. Excellent service and at a very reasonable price - setup/health check start at £30.

http://www.guitarrepairsbrighton.com
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2375
    edited June 2014
    Chris @ CA Guitarworks in Baldock (Hertfordshire). 

Great guy, very talented too. PRS Europe even use him for repairs / refinishes. Setup a couple of my guitars so far and has two more to do as of today :) 

• xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    +1 for Guitar Repair in Birmingham, just in the jewelleryQuater, truly brilliant service and very high calibre of workmanship.

I also think there is a true guitar wizard up in Mayfield, goes under the name Cleartone conversions....
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Back on MR there was someone who had major problems with Guitar Repair. It's part of the Little Guitar shop I presume? They have interesting stuff.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • musteatbrainmusteatbrain Frets: 877
    @felineguitars just got my 64 SG Junior back with Dunlop 6000s I can't recommend their wizardry highly enough. They are first choice despite being over 200 miles away!