Lockdown - What new songs have you been mastering ?

What's Hot

Comments

• skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4168
    Funnily enough since I posted last night the first of our demos is finished:

Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5416
    tbm said:
    Whitecat said:
    On guitar, been playing exclusively in open-G to change it up. 

Me too! Enjoying it. 
    Coincidentally, Alan Sparhawk from Low has been giving a couple "lessons" on Instagram too over the past couple weeks and is planning more apparently... they don't stay up on Insta but someone has been putting them on YouTube a few days after the fact with his blessing. So that's been cool. He posts photos of the the chord tabs to Twitter after he does the lessons. Very much assisting me in my figuring out shapes/positions!
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 585
    Interesting seeing what everyone is working on.  Lots of good stuff and it's given me some ideas.

I, however, have been much, much shallower and have been working on Yngwie's Trilogy Suite Op 5 ... 1st and 3rd movements specifically. Pretty close now to being consistent with it.  Almost worth the agony.  Almost.
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3654
    Since I retired in Jan I had a plan to do more structured practice (guitar, piano and vocal) and to write and record more original material (whilst working I always struggled to maintain the original stuff whilst also doing covers with the band).

Between Jan and March, aside from joining a second covers band, progress was slower than I'd wished.

Since lockdown I've upped my practice game, I'm working on my original material but also collaborating remotely with others on their projects.  I've been arranging the material for the new band then recording and sharing backing tracks and I've run through the set list for the old band a couple of times.  I've also been tweaking the set up on a few guitars.

Piano progress remains slow.

I do need to get back into the reheasal room ASAP.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5416
    Bezzer said:
    Interesting seeing what everyone is working on.  Lots of good stuff and it's given me some ideas.

I, however, have been much, much shallower and have been working on Yngwie's Trilogy Suite Op 5 ... 1st and 3rd movements specifically. Pretty close now to being consistent with it.  Almost worth the agony.  Almost.
    My dad was in a head shop in Seattle once a long time ago that had a small cabinet of music memorabilia for sale, and he said they had a "guitar pick used by Yngwie Malmsteen" for sale for like $25 that was clearly just any old Dunlop pick that someone had taken a cigarette lighter to and melted the tip off.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    edited May 2020
    The other thing I’ve been doing is using GarageBand for the first time. This is Demo 1 of In the Midnight Hour. I’ve put 4 guitar tracks on, using a Les Paul, Strat and Jem. The drums, bass and vocals are a backing track from karaoke-version.co.uk but plan is for a lockdown duet with a singer I know.

Working on potential solos for the breakdown bit in the middle.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26964
    Nothing particular on guitar, but building lots of pedal kits and trying to play drums every day, between work being an absolute shitter.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3319
    I've been getting stuck into Frank Gambale's Chopbuilder. Mastering is very much not the word, though!
    when he ays lets speed it up I only discern one note at my speed of ear
  • chotu495chotu495 Frets: 356
    Being at the “crap but enthusiastic” end of the spectrum, i too like others have been wrestling with “This Charming Man” (because it is an ace song and really challenges my ablilities). I’m getting there.

Others that keep laughing at me, but i try anyway are “message in a bottle” (streeeeeeetch), “Spellbound” by Siouxsie and “ Walking on the moon”.

The opening chord to Spellbound and Walking on the moon are the same, just an appregio version on Spellbound, so that was a bonus!

Things have to begin to get easier at some point, right?

• JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    chotu495 said:
    Being at the “crap but enthusiastic” end of the spectrum, i too like others have been wrestling with “This Charming Man” (because it is an ace song and really challenges my ablilities). I’m getting there.

This rate, we’re gonna HAVE to have a forum ‘This Charming Man’-off.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    I did My Babe by Little Walter last week in Reaper. Couldn't play the riff so I spliced it together. LOL. Waiting on a mate to try the solo before I upload.

Did We Don't Talk Anymore by Cliff the week before. Still need vocals on that. And a bit of "lead".
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2944
    I'm working on a version of this:

The basics are pretty simple, the inflections are great fun to put in. The thing for me though is that I usually let Ms Blobb do all the singing (as she's a proper singer), this one though I really want get nailed by myself. Gulp! I've remembered all the words and everything....

Background to the song here :-) 

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    Ain't Talkin Bout Love by Van Halen. I'm not a big VH fan, but I love that riff. Also I never would have been able to play it a year ago, so that's satisfying!
  • brojanglesbrojangles Frets: 362
    I've been working on Never Going Back Again by Fleetwood Mac. If you're not habitually a fingerstyle player - which I'm not - then it's quite hard. Or at least I thought so. I've got it down now, including the solo section he does when playing it live, but I can't sing it all the way through at same time yet. The "been down one time" bit is quite hard to sing over the fiddly picking pattern. But I'm getting there. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2896
    edited May 2020
    I tried This Charming Man and swiftly gave up. It's just so different to anything I'd normally play and I couldn't handle it. I know that's all the more reason to learn it, just found it disheartening! Maybe I'll pick it up again soon.
  • chotu495chotu495 Frets: 356
    TTBZ said:
    I tried This Charming Man and swiftly gave up. It's just so different to anything I'd normally play and I couldn't handle it. I know that's all the more reason to learn it, just found it disheartening! Maybe I'll pick it up again soon.
    This is my source. You may have already seen it. He does a great job in explaining it all.

https://youtu.be/E-Pf6VKh5iM

I have literally no blues in me. I appreciate it, but I grew up listening to The Cure, Smiths and The Manics and Radiohead.

Literally every time I go into a guitar shop, someone is playing a blues lick. I wouldnt know where to start! Sounds good tho’, so maybe theres hope. 

I love Gary Clark Jr “Numb”, so will probably try that next. Not exactly a blues standard, but I gotta start somewhere  :)
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13940
    The Who -You Better You Bet.

Took time out to learn those chord changes as I love this song

• corona55corona55 Frets: 10
    Apache and Wonderful Land, Hank rules!!
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    I grabbed my acoustic the other day for a change. An old favourite to play was the stone roses "tightrope". Realised I've totally forgotten it! 
    So I'm actually going backwards. 
  • PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 941
    Thought I'd try' Wild side of Life' by Quo ,(the single version) as one to practice singing too, fuck sake! is it me or is it actually more complex than thought?