Lockdown - What new songs have you been mastering ?

What's Hot

Comments

• Having not touched my guitars since lockdown began (busy at work, stressed, tired...) Last night I finally felt the urge to play.
    I started working on Many of Horror by Biffy Clyro- luckily Simon Neil has done a tutorial. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FezFez Frets: 522
    Weird that's the second time I have seen Sad Café mentioned this weekend. 
    Anyway I have been working on:
    Elton John's I'm still standing.
    Nazareth Broken down Angel.
    Led Zeppelin D'yer M'aker
    Sheryl crow A change would do you good
    For the band.
    For myself
    The Pink Faries City Kids

I am WFH which is just as busy as usual. Got some holiday to use so might get a chance to do something this week. 

I fancy a go at Fire and rain by James Taylor.

Don't touch that dial.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3219
    adamino said:
    Working on Girl Gone Bad from Van Halen's 1984.(one of my all time favourite albums)
    Tune!
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1083
    skunkwerx said:
    Simple stuff actually.. but drop C

Rammstein - Deutschland
    Bring me the horizon -  Suicide Season
    Killswitch Engage - My Last Serenade

Good choice of tunes! Most of Suicide Season is in drop a# though? Unless you're transposing? My 12-56's on a 24.75 scale neck just about holds up for that haha.
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10266
    TTBZ said:
    I tried This Charming Man and swiftly gave up. It's just so different to anything I'd normally play and I couldn't handle it. I know that's all the more reason to learn it, just found it disheartening! Maybe I'll pick it up again soon.

Honestly mate, that is exactly how I felt but I was absolutely determined that I was going to learn it. It does seem quite daunting, but if someone of my limited talent (not inferring you're of the same low calibre by the way :)) can master it, anyone can.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • mortmort Frets: 719
    I’ve been working on the solos from ‘boredom’ by the Buzzcocks and ‘rip it up and start again’ by Orange Juice........  ;)
  • rocktronrocktron Frets: 806
    I wouldn't call what I've been doing "mastering". It is more like dabbling!!! LOL

Dio - Holy Diver
    Y&T - Temptation
    Scorpions - Rock You Like A Hurricane

Mainly the power chord riffs.
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    I've been trying to push myself a bit with Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark (I'm not the most technical guy).

I'm currently oscillating between "wait, I can actually do this!" and "I sound like Adrian Smith falling down the stairs."
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7103
    DeeTee said:
    I've been trying to push myself a bit with Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark (I'm not the most technical guy).

I'm currently oscillating between "wait, I can actually do this!" and "I sound like Adrian Smith falling down the stairs."
    one day I am going to absolutely nail phantom of the opera, every hook riff and solo and both guitar parts and only then will my crazy musical journey end

so far I can do the first bit 
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    Stardust .Singing and playing .I want to sort of do a Hoagy Carmichael on it when he sang it.Sort of jazzy and melodic .
  • alalalkasaralalalkasar Frets: 363
    Been doing loads of open tunings and finger picking. I think the nice weather combined with playing on my Tod had got me all kind of folkie.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2892
    edited May 2020
    TTBZ said:
    I tried This Charming Man and swiftly gave up. It's just so different to anything I'd normally play and I couldn't handle it. I know that's all the more reason to learn it, just found it disheartening! Maybe I'll pick it up again soon.

Honestly mate, that is exactly how I felt but I was absolutely determined that I was going to learn it. It does seem quite daunting, but if someone of my limited talent (not inferring you're of the same low calibre by the way ) can master it, anyone can.

I'll give it a shot when I'm back up in standard tuning. Still on the Mastodon song, the main riff and chorus are so addictive to play.

I've been enjoying getting into covers and learning songs I've thought about for a while. Not feeling creative at all in this lockdown period but this is just as fun as writing stuff at the minute. Having no gigs lined up is a nice excuse to learn songs that are actually good as well rather than the pub cover set :)
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12885
    TTBZ said:
    Someone posted a great video lesson about This Charming Man on here a while ago. Have a search, it helped me a lot (I can now do the intro, really should learn the rest). 

On a Smiths note, there's a woman called Allison Bennett who posts Smiths lessons on youtube. She is (or at least was) in a Smiths cover band but she's quite pragmatic in teaching ways of getting through the songs rather than slavishly copying note-for-note. I found her stuff really good. 

here's one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyxmfiYQxBo
  • dc77dc77 Frets: 28
    edited May 2020
    Not mastering it by any stretch.
    But trying to get ' A night in dreams' by White denim under my fingers. Got the intro pretty much just not upto to speed. But the last couple of chord voicings I can't quite make out. 
    Fresh start tomorrow 

• Partly inspired by this thread I started to learn 'This Charming Man'. Then I remembered I can't fucking stand The Smiths/Morrissey so stopped after the intro!

I've been dusting off my meagre fingerstyle skills by learning 'Just Breathe' by Pearl Jam.

Also had a go at butchering 'Wait Til Tomorrow' by the Jimi Hendrix Experience. Fun one to play, even though I'm not really doing it justice!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540
    Well, I am about a gnats fart away from being happy with all the bits of Dont Cry by GnR except for a timing issue on the main solo. Oh and totally ignored outro widdly bit.

Other than that, general noodling and slowly making inroads to Crazy Train, minus 97% of the widdly bits.
  • pickergpickerg Frets: 30
    edited May 2020
    Not sure about ‘mastering’ but I’ve been working on Gentle on My Mind, this version
    Almost got the lead break to 75% speed... 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2082
    edited May 2020
    Sad Cafe - Every Day Hurts

Absolute masterpiece of songwriting, easy solo but remembering the Chords is no easy feat. I learned it from the Ultimate Guitar page and it was spot on. Definitely one you'd have to have your memory jogged on if you've not played it for a while.
    Dave Day is the guitarist with Sad Cafe now at the moment, he plays In a couple of bands locally around the midlands...also tours with Leo Sayer.

https://www.facebook.com/davedaymusic/videos/158772955568883/ ;

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2082
    Well I tried to do some learning and vids to see how it all turned out....I did about 5 songs...but this one seems by far the most popular for views anyhow.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 625
    Today I've been playing It Must be Love on the acoustic mostly to work on singing and playing in time, plus it's a nice jolly tune with nice chords.