Lockdown - What new songs have you been mastering ?

What's Hot

Comments

• skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4168
    spark240 said:
    Well I tried to do some learning and vids to see how it all turned out....I did about 5 songs...but this one seems by far the most popular for views anyhow.

Nice work!
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • allenallen Frets: 707
    Philip Sayce - 5:55

Transcribed from the recording - which I never do.

I can't really play it well either.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Had a go at playing the opening to Echo and the Bunnymen's "The Cutter" by ear today. Was quite proud of myself.
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6874
    skunkwerx said:
    Simple stuff actually.. but drop C

Rammstein - Deutschland
    Bring me the horizon -  Suicide Season
    Killswitch Engage - My Last Serenade

Good choice of tunes! Most of Suicide Season is in drop a# though? Unless you're transposing? My 12-56's on a 24.75 scale neck just about holds up for that haha.
    Oh man haha, probably got it all wrong then but sounds good enough to play along with! 

I just found some tabs on ultimate guitar... yeahh, I know.. 

Im playing on an Ibanez with a D scale I think they call it, so It has standard 10's on it but tuned to DCGFAD, with a slightly longer scale length but not baritone. 

Feels kinda like 10's in standard, maybe a little looser. 
    Dropping the high E/D to C makes that string feel like a 42 so not my preferred tension for chuggy chuggy tunes but gets me by! 

Can do all the main riffs but theres some little melodic parts that are probably synth or keyboard or something.. I'll actually have to listen to it properly, that I wanna make something of.. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3586
    I've been polishing 'she makes my day' by Robert Palmer on the old Koo stick. Getting the fills and bass to sound tight while singing has it's moments! It will be nice in the end.......
  • fendergibsonfendergibson Frets: 562
    Gents - as OP I am overwhelmed with all the replies. Some SUPERB songs and ideas mentioned, I’ve got enough inspiration/suggestions from this to last a lifetime - guitaring is ace innit  =) <3
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • greggreg66greggreg66 Frets: 503
    I've tried to learn the main solo to Sweet Child Of Mine, mostly to just understand that fast wah-wah run he does midway. I'm not about 80-90% of the way there lol
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1087
    skunkwerx said:
    skunkwerx said:
    Simple stuff actually.. but drop C

Rammstein - Deutschland
    Bring me the horizon -  Suicide Season
    Killswitch Engage - My Last Serenade

Good choice of tunes! Most of Suicide Season is in drop a# though? Unless you're transposing? My 12-56's on a 24.75 scale neck just about holds up for that haha.
    Oh man haha, probably got it all wrong then but sounds good enough to play along with! 

I just found some tabs on ultimate guitar... yeahh, I know.. 

Im playing on an Ibanez with a D scale I think they call it, so It has standard 10's on it but tuned to DCGFAD, with a slightly longer scale length but not baritone. 

Feels kinda like 10's in standard, maybe a little looser. 
    Dropping the high E/D to C makes that string feel like a 42 so not my preferred tension for chuggy chuggy tunes but gets me by! 

Can do all the main riffs but theres some little melodic parts that are probably synth or keyboard or something.. I'll actually have to listen to it properly, that I wanna make something of.. 
    Haha, yeah I learnt Chelsea Smile the other day, pretty tricky to keep up the tight riffs around 200bpm!

12-56's are just right for drop c I feel, any higher I wouldn't use that thick a string.

Yeah lead lines are synth or some kind of programmed thing. 
  • Learned Free's Oh I Wept today. It was played in its entirety on the BBC drama 'Devs' (on iplayer), and it was the first time I'd heard it in years!

Like a lot of Kossof's stuff, some interesting chord voicings! 
  • donbotdonbot Frets: 361
    edited May 2020
    I’ve been having another stab at Vai’s Die to Live. Half way through and now need to push myself to do the rest! 
    Finally got around to Sweet Child of Mine main theme and polishing up the intro to VH Ain’t Talkin’ ‘bout Love. 
    The new Vigier is really inspiring me. Definitely a keeper. So much so I’m considering selling my Xotic and getting another. 
    Oh, and the intro to Satriani’s Circles which was nice and easy and sounds cool. And a mini attempt at Zep’s Babe I’m Gonna Leave You. 

I’ve never mastered anything apart from procrastinating so furlough will be over before I can get to the mastery level of the above!
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921
    I was expecting to make more music in DAW, write some electro songs, but turns out lockdown has not been the most conducive environment for generating creativity. As a consequence I’ve been playing a lot more guitar than I have done in a long time. 

Not mastered, but working on:

comfortably numb 2nd solo. Still cannot get the syncopation of the descending run years later, but will crack. 

Little wing intro. Going to revisit this when my new strat arrives lol. 

This is charming man. Because everyone else is lol. 
  • SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1292
    TTBZ said:
    I tried This Charming Man and swiftly gave up. It's just so different to anything I'd normally play and I couldn't handle it. I know that's all the more reason to learn it, just found it disheartening! Maybe I'll pick it up again soon.
    Someone posted a great video lesson about This Charming Man on here a while ago. Have a search, it helped me a lot (I can now do the intro, really should learn the rest). 

On a Smiths note, there's a woman called Allison Bennett who posts Smiths lessons on youtube. She is (or at least was) in a Smiths cover band but she's quite pragmatic in teaching ways of getting through the songs rather than slavishly copying note-for-note. I found her stuff really good. 

here's one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyxmfiYQxBo
    The best source for Smiths tabs is Songsterr, though the midi tab thing is of limited use, though nonetheless a good place to start before playing along to the actual tracks to get the feel.
  • donbotdonbot Frets: 361
    I forgot another one from my earlier post; I’ve kinda been relearning Tears in the Rain too. Had a sloppy stab at it years ago so thought I’d give a bit of time to it seeing as I have plenty now! 
    Two or three awkward chords/arpeggios but I’m getting there this time. 
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    Having not touched my guitars since lockdown began (busy at work, stressed, tired...) Last night I finally felt the urge to play.
    I started working on Many of Horror by Biffy Clyro- luckily Simon Neil has done a tutorial. 

Bloody hell: powerful song. Never really seen these chaps before. Impressed.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    JerkMoans said:

Bloody hell: powerful song. Never really seen these chaps before. Impressed.
    Biffy are one of those bands where it sounds simple, until I try and play it! Bubbles is built around a legato riff that I just cannot get to sound right.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fendergibsonfendergibson Frets: 562
    donbot said:
    I forgot another one from my earlier post; I’ve kinda been relearning Tears in the Rain too. Had a sloppy stab at it years ago so thought I’d give a bit of time to it seeing as I have plenty now! 
    Two or three awkward chords/arpeggios but I’m getting there this time. 
    Haha, yes I relearn that one every few years. Beautiful song and some amazing chords (that don’t stick in the memory)
    I've also been going back to My Sharona. It's my white whale. I will feel like I've arrived when I can play the solos properly. The Phil X/Drills video may have influenced this.
  • westfordwestford Frets: 580
    Struggling to concentrate on anything long enough to master it, but trying to learn Romeo & Juliet and Design For Life properly rather than just banging out chords. Both simpler than I always assumed, but still got some way to go.
    For Design for Life - if you find an old video of them performing it live, James plays a version of the string part on the guitar that sounds great, and isn't that hard. I'm sure there was a festival performance where you could see exactly how he played it.
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7106
    oh turning japanese as well

lol
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!