NBD: Vintage V4VW P Bass

What's Hot
Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1385
edited May 2020 in Bass
Jumping back into the world of bass properly, and picked this up. Out of the box it plays well, and the intonation suits me.
I have an unfinished jazz bass neck with a decent nut that I will use at some stage. Perhaps tuners as well, but these Wilkinson ones seem to be sturdy enough.
The headstock, I will admit, is not the prettiest in the flesh.
A new set of strings, and not sure if the pickups might need upgrading, who knows... now to play play play without a plec!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BasherBasher Frets: 1199
    Looks great to me, including the 'stock.

I'd guess the Wilkinson hardware and pickup are a cut above anything in that price range and a probably better than the stuff fitted to a lot of more expensive basses.

Lovely dark fingerboard too. I'm guessing they must dye it in some way at that price.

I'd definitely live with it for a while before any major alterations. 

...Oh, cracking colour too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23968
    Nice.

I had a go on their Tony Butler sig model and thought it was excellent, If a bit heavy for my old back.
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1385
    edited May 2020
    There's a bit of weight in it alright, but I can only compare to my few electric guitars that aren't very heavy. I'll get used to it. I had a P bass copy years ago, an SX with a fake Fender neck, and the body was so light, there'd be neck dive everytime you let go of it.
    In any case, it gives me a good excuse to get a nice light second bass guitar down the line  
    I had a good rattle off it just now, and am very impressed with the build quality, and feel. God only knows what a fancy dan high end one would be like!
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14324
    I have an unfinished jazz bass neck with a decent nut that I will use at some stage. 
    Measure twice! The Vintage neck and pocket dimensions might not comply to Fender specifications.

a bit heavy for my old back.
    There's a bit of weight in it alright
    Many years ago, I bought one of the J-style models in a clearance sale. At the time, I presumed that it was a re-issue of a CBS-era Fender boat anchor. My example had a truss rod issue. Eventually, I cannibalised the hardware and parted the rest of it out to sell on eBay. 
    Be seeing you.
    @Funkfingers ooo errr :(
    It’s a generic JB neck , I got it off north west guitars.
    While you are changing strings, offer the NWG neck up to the V4 pocket. 

Be seeing you.
    edited May 2020
    @Funkfingers I will do, as I want to put a new set of strings on it (not sure yet what to go for, but I reckon roundwound to be on safe side for now)
    I think the nut on it might be some kind of graphtech nut or plastic, there's a graphtech card hanging off the neck so...
    I also noticed the scratchplate is cut a bit roughly just over the neck, but was thinking of getting a tort or mint one down the line anyhow, and it's not a big deal currently to be honest.
    Guitar plays well, so that's the main thing. Maybe arsing around with necks is the last thing I should be doing! But my thinking, as a guitarist, is that a narrower neck by the nut might suit in the long term. 
    The black Tusq self-lubricating nut is the only component on your bass guitar that could be by GraphTech.

The scratchplate may be another part that does not conform exactly to Fender specifications. The fastening screws are certainly not in the "F" positions. There appears to be more plastic between the pickup and the bridge than usual. It is possible that a replacement scratchplate would leave some of the original screw holes exposed.
    Be seeing you.
    edited May 2020
    @Funkfingers No biggie on the scratchplate, I'll leave it. You know what, I'll just play the living sh*t out of it.

But the spare JB neck I have, in theory, could fit a Fender/Squier ?
    Good plan.  =)
    Be seeing you.
  • gary_macgary_mac Frets: 66
    I worked on one of these a few weeks back. Installed new pots, socket and wiring but left the original pick ups in. Put on a set of D'Addario Pro Steels and it sounded great.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1199
    While you are changing strings, offer the NWG neck up to the V4 pocket. 

Loved this! Sounds like some kind of sacrifice. Anything to keep the gods of bass appeased!
    not sure yet what to go for, but I reckon roundwound to be on safe side for now
    I currently have a set of cheap but great-sounding (to me) Maruszczyk flatwounds on my Yamaha (PJ config) that I really like. They were £22 from Bass Direct so if you fancy experimenting with flats you could do a lot worse that try those out.