Starter Guitar for around £200

What's Hot
droflufdrofluf Frets: 3750
Looking for a guitar for my son as a sixteenth birthday present. Budget around £200. 

He’s been borrowing my Faith but would like his own. He’s fairly musical (grade 8 piano and 6 on cello) so I’m prepared to spend a reasonable amount. 

He’d also prefer a medium sized body so no dreads. The Vintage V300 is well reviewed and looks the right size but I can’t confirm this.

Anyone got any experience of the V300 or other suggestions? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7801
    edited May 2020
    New only or considering used?

Sight unseen is tricky for acoustics but this is good value:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192561613217
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3750
    Probably new only given the situation but I’m open to suggestions and need to see if he’s happy with the idea. Do you have something in mind?
  • Sigma 000-15m would be a nice choice. May be slightly above your budget but still under 300 I should think 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3498
    For an acoustic guitar it's really difficult to make a recommendation as things like playing style, ergonomics and hand size are vitally important.

I'd recommend a Sigma OMM-ST, it has a 1 3/4" nut, so it'd be good for a fingerpicker if he is one otherwise an OM is probably the best body shape for an all rounder.
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    drofluf said:
    Looking for a guitar for my son as a sixteenth birthday present. Budget around £200. 

He’s been borrowing my Faith but would like his own. He’s fairly musical (grade 8 piano and 6 on cello) so I’m prepared to spend a reasonable amount. 

He’d also prefer a medium sized body so no dreads. The Vintage V300 is well reviewed and looks the right size but I can’t confirm this.

I have the mahogany V300 which is a nice guitar for the money, stick a set of Martin Monel strings on (they just seem to work well with mahogany guitars) and away you go! So yes, I would recommend it, others of course, may differ in opinion.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    @zepp76 thanks would you mind measuring the lower bout and the body depth? I’m having trouble finding the dimensions online. 

• zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    drofluf said:
    @zepp76 thanks would you mind measuring the lower bout and the body depth? I’m having trouble finding the dimensions online. 

Sorry but mine is packed away ready for the  move to my new place.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • Universal8Universal8 Frets: 134
    Fender CC60
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3270
    A mate picked up a recording king ooo from coda at the start of lockdown. Solid top, £169 (iirc), he’s really chuffed with it.
    zepp76 said:
    drofluf said:

Sorry but mine is packed away ready for the  move to my new place.
    No problem. Hope the move goes ok
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72619
    zepp76 said:
    drofluf said:

I have the mahogany V300 which is a nice guitar for the money
     Same here - excellent for the money. (Although even better when you get a trashed one from a charity shop for £20!)

Body dimensions:

Length - 49cm
    Upper bout width - 26.5cm
    Lower bout width - 38cm
    Depth at neck heel - 9cm
    Depth at endpin - 11cm

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    @icbm thanks! Much appreciated 
  • Simples !.........Sigma or Vintage.
    Fender CC60
    Son likes the look of this; he’d like something with a cutaway which they do so this looks like a favourite at the moment. 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18979
    drofluf said:
    Fender CC60
    Son likes the look of this; he’d like something with a cutaway which they do so this looks like a favourite at the moment. 
    I'd also go with the Vintage V300MH for sheer value & tone, but if a cutaway is on the want list, try to find a used Takamine like the EG330 SC.
    Very good acoustic tone for £200 ish & the electrics are useable.
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2343
    also a fan of the vintage v300. i bought my first one brand new in 2007 for £95 they have gone up a bit but still great value quality guitars. 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12422
    I took my 15 year old daughter to PMT Portsmouth last summer and we tried every acoustic below £300 and the Washburn Harvest series acoustic was the best sounding by a margin, around £150, is a dreadnought though, but she plays it fine.
    edited May 2020
    The Fender arrived yesterday. Gave it a quick check over and it’s now back in its box waiting for his birthday 
  • Universal8Universal8 Frets: 134
    drofluf said:
    The Fender arrived yesterday. Gave it a quick check over and it’s now back in its box waiting for his birthday 
    Which model did you get in the end as you wanted a cutaway?