General Vintage Tone

What's Hot
SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1292
https://generalvintagetone.com/

Anyone ever heard of/dealt with these guys?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10205
    edited May 2020
    It says 'Our goal is to build the best vintage instruments'.

How do you build a vintage anything? It's vintage because of age and the quality of that year. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3290
    tFB Trader
    All I'll say is they're pre CBS fender neck isn't right so no idea on the rest of it 
    I'd love to know what truss rod they used 

People do love to bandy about vintage spec this and that 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1292
    I came across them on Reverb, they make/sell not inexpensive pickups, they also makes Klon clones, expensive vintage spec guitars and amps. 

They seem to be kind of a one stop shop, selling everything for a bit more that what many of the “best people” in the various fields of making those things charge.

Other then on Reverb there are no reviews anywhere
  • SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1292

All I'll say is they're pre CBS fender neck isn't right so no idea on the rest of it 

As someone with no particular knowledge of vintage guitars, what is wrong with the Fender neck?
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    As much as I get vintage guitars at times it seems a bit sad that there is a big enough market to keep a company running that is not enhancing the past but slavishly trying to reproduce it.

To me the stuff that was good from an era or special are largely freaks of nature there was minimal quality control on guitars built in the so called golden age. Suppliers were switched to save a dollar on lumber cost, pickups were almost always random in winding and material choices governed by haphazard procurement and business need.

in all of that some great players made those tools there own.

and legends were made.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3290
    tFB Trader

As someone with no particular knowledge of vintage guitars, what is wrong with the Fender neck?
    Go and do your homework, a pre CBS spec neck truss rod adjuster hole is higher up.so it's in between the rosewood and maple, my guess is they've gone the easy route of a modern truss rod, I don't particularly care but I bloody hate these idiots saying it's vintage spec when it isn't, I know what goes into making vintage spec necks and it's not quicker or cheap 
    Do they actually show any neck construction?

Same goes for the burst stuff, not many actually know how to build a vintage spec one, I'm sceptical unless they show actual build pics in progress 

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Marco78Marco78 Frets: 15
    Today I read for the first time of this brand. Pickups sound seems "real" to me but the price is very high for a unknown brand. 
    There is some amp made by him that are really cool! https://reverb.com/item/26528002-general-50000-series-general-lee-night-club-pantone-lead-212
  • idiotwindowidiotwindow Frets: 1399
    edited October 2020
    Interesting that a Spanish company would choose to call themselves General. Might as well have gone the whole hog and called themselves Generalissimo.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371

To me the stuff that was good from an era or special are largely freaks of nature there was minimal quality control on guitars built in the so called golden age. Suppliers were switched to save a dollar on lumber cost, pickups were almost always random in winding and material choices governed by haphazard procurement and business need.

Quality control.
    Oxford dictionary defines quality control as "a system of maintaining standards in manufactured products by testing a sample of the output against the specification". That is fair enough. Many people would define quality control as a person at the end of the production line pulling a guitar to measure it against a minimum standard. But surely the quality control at Kalamazoo was not quite like that. The guys building guitars  from the early 50s to the mid 60s were not hired to install tuners. They had proven their skills by hand building archtop jazz guitars and were now applying those skills to a wider range of guitars.

So called golden age.
    Only you know why you used this phrase. It might help to know if you consider that other golden ages are so called golden ages. (Sometimes we are too close to the subject we are discusssing). Many years ago I recall someone handing me a Leica film camera from that company's golden age. It was immediately blindingly obvious that this was an object of the very highest engineering standards. Every part of the mechanism handled beautifully and it simply oozed quality.
    Here is what is absolutely clear to me.
    If.....tomorrow.....I see someone tweeting that Leica cameras "were not all that" in the "so called golden era"  and that their reputation should now be considered mythical, there is simply no chance that I  need to reconsider my assessment. All I have to do is pick one up. Again. Quality is quality.

• Have you seen the 18 century Dalbergia Nigra slab models? I understand a bit of wood and that Rosewood is real and original D Nigra from Bahia! This is a lot of quality! https://youtu.be/c5KuHDf_WCk
    I was just reading this Tony Bacon interview with Forrest White  who brought some quality control / organization into the Fender factory in 1954.
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    Oh. I saw this and thought Thorpy had been promoted.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom