Charvel/Jackson Basses? (necks?)

What's Hot
Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1385
Hi all. Since I picked up my Vintage V4, I've been having great fun diving back into music jamming along on bass. While I'm trying to learn the start of Testament's "Souls of Black", I'm also revisiting Megadeth, and got me thinking, in general, how difficult it is to play some of those fast thrash metal licks on bass. Sore on the hand!

I used to have a Charvel through neck guitar years ago which has a lovely fast neck.
Quite a few Charvel and Jackson MIJ basses on reverb currently at decent enough prices. Some are hh, some are pj configured.
Are the necks thin on these? Surely, as they're geared towards the metal heads, the necks would have been built for "bass shredding"?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1926
    Thin and wide - Had a PP config.

I absolutely hated it and couldn't get rid of it quick enough - I'd do better on a V4. I've had vintage and Masterbuilt Charvel guitars, but I wouldn't recommend the basses.

The fastest bass I've played was a Cort A4, but Musicman Sterlings, Kubickis and Lightwaves are fast too.

It's strange, as I've always found fat and narrow quicker than the opposite, which is more in-line with Musicman profiles etc.
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1385
    edited May 2020
    Schnozz said:
    Thin and wide - Had a PP config.

I absolutely hated it and couldn't get rid of it quick enough - I'd do better on a V4. I've had vintage and Masterbuilt Charvel guitars, but I wouldn't recommend the basses.

The fastest bass I've played was a Cort A4, but Musicman Sterlings, Kubickis and Lightwaves are fast too.

It's strange, as I've always found fat and narrow quicker than the opposite, which is more in-line with Musicman profiles etc.
    Oh, great advice there, thanks, I had my eye on this one, https://www.jacksonguitars.com/gear/basses/x-series-signature-david-ellefson-concert-bass-cbx-iv/2916844568

Something fast and easy for metal would be nice to have on the rack down the line.
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1926
    edited May 2020
    Yeah that's the same neck that I had - Definitely try before you buy.

I would have given you a heads up on a bargain I saw, but it's now sold out unfortunately. There was also a Dave Ellefson Peavey Scorpio on Basschat that's gone, but they have a rounder, fast neck.

Here's a few nice options in that price range:

https://reverb.com/item/33057209-peavey-millennium-plus-usa-4-string-bass-guitar-tiger-eye

https://reverb.com/item/5831476-used-carvin-pb4-precision-bass

https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/347094-yamaha-black-bb2004-with-hard-case/

HOWEVER, if you do want to go for something Thrash and pointy, I would recommend seeing if 'Cetera' on Basschat has anything from his collection - I think he's Gene Simmons in the No.1 UK KISS tribute band. Has had some crackers like this...

https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/334488-sold-fernandes-ltd-edition-pj60-late-80s-jap-classic/  

(I'd still say Cort A or B Series if you like soapbars - Really regret selling my 2).

@Schnozz wow, thanks for those links. I'll be sure to check them out! Forgot about Carvin!
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    Charvel and Jackson MIJ basses ... Are the necks thin on these? Surely, as they're geared towards the metal heads, the necks would have been built for "bass shredding"?
    I have an elderly Charvel CX492. The neck profile is P width but shred shallow, if that makes sense. 

The stock ceramic pickup was rubbish. (I forget whether I sold it or gave it away.) My example currently sports a DiMarzio DP146 Will Power Middle. (I have, thus far, refrained from routing for a DP145 Will Power Neck 'bucker.) The bass sounded best with an EMG-P pickup wired through volume and VLPF tone controls. Experiments with active EQ proved interesting but detracted from the heads-down-no-nonsense essence of the instrument.

My example has the "F" headstock outline and "toothpaste" logo.

how difficult it is to play some of those fast thrash metal licks on bass. Sore on the hand!
    Some of those licks were almost certainly played plectrum style. Alternatively, try the Neil Harris / Andy "PGS" Martin fingernails and callus approach.
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @funkfingers pic for sure on a lot of it for sure. I’ve gone back and revisited a lot of music I abandoned from a guitar point of view years ago so it’s all good either way!
  • bassborabassbora Frets: 132
    This brings back memories.  When starting out on bass in around '90 I was into thrash and went through all the albums, Master, Justice, Rust, Countdown etc.  Brilliant times.

I had Yamaha RBX1000 which was really fast neck and was top of the RBX line.  Never seen another one.  I always preferred PJ config.  It gave you the P sound with a difference and I always favored blending in a bit more J and P.  Still kind of do. 

I always loved the Jackson look specially since Dave Ellefson played them.  I never got one and gradually moved into jazz and fusion playing when I started doing my serious studying.  

I have thought about getting a pointy head stock bass from that period just for fun but I dont think I would ever play it so I am trying to be sensible.

Another option would be Ibanez EX404 or EX 405 from that period.  I always remember them as looking cool (to me) back then.