Tone King Imperial Mark 2 Users -questions

What's Hot
Mac44Mac44 Frets: 24
Hi, 
I'd like to chat to any Tone King Imperial Mk 2 owners,
 combo or head past and present who are willing.
I'd prefer by PM but otherwise here is fine.
Thanks

“The TV business is uglier than most things.  It is normally perceived as some kind of cruel and shallow money trench through the heart of the journalism industry, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs, for no good reason.

Which is more or less true.  For the most part, they are dirty little animals with huge brains and no pulse.” 

Hunter S Thompson 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MtBMtB Frets: 922
    Would also be interested in this conversation.
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2801
    I have an early Mk1 (I mention early because it’s a type of prototype and different to the production models that followed).  I’m not sure if being a Mk1 user discounts me from what you particularly want to discuss about the Mk2 but I love the Imperial amp generally so would also be interested in any kind of discussion about them.

Where there certain aspects you were particularly interested in or wanted to know about?
  • Mac44Mac44 Frets: 24
    edited May 2020
    I had an Ebay notification of an Imperial last night, hit buy it now, then realised it was the Mk1 so chucked it. That's how keen I am to own a MK2, pref the head but I'd settle for the combo, (till I can trade it for the head). I'd take a cheap as chips battered Gremlin so I could get the pre-amp ripped out and get something else made with it. That's the level of keenness I have for these amps, Could you tell me the story a bit, with you and the Mk1? 
    “The TV business is uglier than most things.  It is normally perceived as some kind of cruel and shallow money trench through the heart of the journalism industry, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs, for no good reason.

Which is more or less true.  For the most part, they are dirty little animals with huge brains and no pulse.” 

Hunter S Thompson 

I've just liked Imperials ever since, and every time, I play one.  I've struggled to love the Lead channel which I think is supposed to be a Tweed-type circuit?  I think this is probably down to me not being massively keen on tweeds in general rather than any weakness of the Imperial's channel itself.  I've met quite a few who really like it, so I'm determined not to give up completely on that.

I briefly owned a TK Metropolitan, I think because I much preferred the Lead channel on it and that you could balance up both channels volume-wise really nicely but it was too big for my needs.  I was looking for a MK2 or a 20th Anniv (which I marginally preferred for some reason) when the MK1 came up privately.  I went to have a look and it was immediately apparent it wasn't a "normal" MK1.  Just sounded fuller and less icey.  It's got an extra valve for one thing.  Being a prototype it looks slightly more more primitive than a production model, hard to explain but a bit more of a box I suppose with cheaper looking tolex.  Having said that, I don't really mind the treble in the MK1 (as others seem to) and would happily use one.  It wouldn't surprise me if it sounded better than a MK2 in a band context but I've never been able to the comparison.

For me the Clean channel on either of the derivations is about as good as you can get from any amp.
    It looks like this:

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Cracking discussion this  :)
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    thebreeze said:
    Cracking discussion this  :)
    Thinking....  :#
     On a late night search, I found some old comments by the maker, where he was, AFAIR, talking about modding the Mk1. I think this was before the mark 2 came out.

Hunter S Thompson 

I was too late for the bright coloured one that went recently on the ads here, but I hope the new owner is enjoying it.

Hunter S Thompson 

I guess the Gremlin head would be a handy studio tool.

Hunter S Thompson 

edited May 2020
    The Bartell stuff looks interesting too, particularly whatever is happening with master volume stuff that apparently does away with the need for the Ironman

Hunter S Thompson 

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    I have the TK 1x10 Falcon at home and become a huge fan of the Rhythm setting.

Less so the Tweed and even less so the Lead, they very rarely get any use. Never having tried any other TK amps, I don't know how it compares, but I find the Rhythm setting provides a fantastic platform for drive delay and reverb pedals and sounds pretty good straight in.

Mac44 said:
    The Bartell stuff looks interesting too, particularly whatever is happening with master volume stuff that apparently does away with the need for the Ironman
    They sound pretty amazing from what I can hear from sound clips and I don't think any expense has been spared in the making of them.  That's the problem though, I almost daren't try one, as much as I'd like to, as they're just too expensive for me.  There's a Roseland for sale on here which I'm sure would be pretty amazing.

Fuengi said:
    I have the TK 1x10 Falcon at home and become a huge fan of the Rhythm setting.

Less so the Tweed and even less so the Lead, they very rarely get any use. Never having tried any other TK amps, I don't know how it compares, but I find the Rhythm setting provides a fantastic platform for drive delay and reverb pedals and sounds pretty good straight in.

There's no doubt he's got that Clean/Blackface sound nailed and then some.  I'm with you that the drive and tweed channels are harder to like but I've struggled with that with all the amps I've tried so far.  It's a journey?...
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5024
    Interesting - I also got a bit excited at the Mk1 on eBay before I realised that it was a Mk1. I think there's a Mk2 on eBay at the moment as well. I have the Falcon Grande 12 - I like the rhythm setting, but really like the tweed, and not so much the lead. I was also fortunate enough to pick up a Rift PR18 with bass, treble and middle controls yesterday. This solves a little problem that the Falcon Grande has - with just a tone control - as some of my jazzier or vintage guitars can be a little thumpy.

The Imperial seems to have most of that solved as well and, of course, looks stunning. 
    Call me Dave.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 982
    Pretty sure Paul David’s (YouTube) plays one

https://youtu.be/Dj2H4c3utSA
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9514
    I think that they are nice amps, but a little bit strident for me. Less pure Blackface.

The MK1 have considerable treble.
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5024
    So, this turned up from Peach Guitars today. Looking forward to comparing it against the Falcon Grande later, although it won't be much of a review at about a tenth of a watt.

Call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9514
    DB1 said:
    So, this turned up from Peach Guitars today. Looking forward to comparing it against the Falcon Grande later, although it won't be much of a review at about a tenth of a watt.

Dave, you are a superstar !! I love that colour scheme, and the MKII is a vast improvement on the MK1
    That'll be great @DB1.  Really interested to hear about the comparison with the Falcon Grande too.