Fender Mustang Performer Bass (USA)

What's Hot
imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3745
Any thoughts on these?  Hovering over for home recording, as short scale appeals.

Thanks!
Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72320
    They should have used a Jazz *neck* pickup - then the polepieces might at least have lined up with the strings. Doh.

Or better, not fitted it at all.

Still, I suppose you could always rout one out for a Stingray pickup...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 4string4string Frets: 33
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:

Still, I suppose you could always rout one out for a Stingray pickup...
    That is a rather startling idea. We have a prototype 79 Stringray humbucker kicking around the workshop. It may have found a home - now to purchase (another) bass.
    Chief Bottle Washer @ Oil City Pickups.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    ICBM said:
    They should have used a Jazz *neck* pickup … Or better, not fitted it at all.
    Why not commission Ash at Oil City to custom build one of his Overkill pickups with the appropriate pole spacing? ;)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    Have only briefly played them, as a bassist I don't love the short scale. I have to say though, I've mixed a fair few bands who were playing them and I've almost never been satisfied with what I've got out of them tonally, which has been enough to put me off further exploration. 
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    @mike257 , anything in particular regards short scale mix dissatisfaction?
  • MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    A modern Mustang bass is just a Precision for children.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    mbe said:
    @mike257 , anything in particular regards short scale mix dissatisfaction?
    Dissatisfaction with the scale itself is due to me being a bass player with a hand like a bunch of bananas and feeling like I've no space to move!

Tonally, I've always found them to be a little lacking in deep low end, and be more thin and middy than I'd like. Works in some contexts, but I've definitely had to wrestle quite heavily with it from a mix perspective to get the depth and weight that would spill forth effortlessly from a P or J. 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72320
    I used an original '73 Mustang Bass for a while recently after I broke my arm and couldn't reach the far end of my Rick properly. Compared to the Rick, it did have slightly less low-end, but otherwise it was much fatter and punchier than I expected, and in fact not very different from the Rick bridge pickup with the 'vintage' bass-cut cap about halfway bypassed (I have a rotary control to do that, rather than a switch). I did put fairly heavy long-scale strings on it - which works because they go through the body as well - rather than the ones it's supposed to have. I don't really know if that made a difference, but I suppose it might have done. If anything what it lacked wasn't bottom end, it was note definition, especially E to F# on the low string... they sounded a bit 'blurred' compared to the Rick.

My suggestion of the Stingray pickup was partly inspired by Alan Lancaster - he has a humbucker in his Mustang, although it's in the normal middle position and I think it might be a Wal pickup, although I've never been able to find out or see a clear enough picture to identify it. I'm not a fan of the Jazz bridge pickup at all really... for me its main function is to cancel the hum from the front one :). But the idea of a mini-Stingray struck me as interesting in its own right.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• rprrpr Frets: 309
    Musician do a shortscale Stingray  https://www.music-man.com/instruments/basses/short-scale-stingray. £700ish
    The G + L Fallout bass is nice -  big price jump tho..maybe they'll do a Tribute version sometime
    https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/191106350868008--gl-usa-fallout-bass-british-racing-green-with-white-racing-stri
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1948
    Yes for gigging and no for recording IMO.
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1388
    These Mustang basses sure do look good. Though they sound like regular size PJ basses, which I suppose is what they are supposed to sound like. The Gibson, bad and all as some say it sounds, is something I'd angle for. It definitely sounds different!
  • KristoKristo Frets: 130
    My short scale Jazz is now listed in the classifieds. I found it a lot more versatile than the Mustangs I’ve had.