Fano RB6T Thinline, Now making the first one.

What's Hot
GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2339
edited June 2020 in Making & Modding tFB Trader

Fano RB6T Thinline

I've decided to make a new post on the above guitar and not mix it with the other post I'm running at this time.

I found  the plans for the above guitar on my hard drive after reading and making a comment on the post about the RB6T (https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/179705/who-could-build-me-a-reasonably-priced-fano-style-body#latest). I used to make this guitar quite a few years ago, unfortunately I don't have the jigs anymore. After I showed the plans on above post I had quite a few inquiries asking if I could make them again. I downloaded the plans just to remind myself what it was all about. Then decided I would make a set of jigs just in case any of their inquiries turned into definite orders. I also needed a break from making Fender type guitars etc.

I haven't got a printer that can print out the plan in one go, the company who would normally print this for me are close down for obvious reasons at the moment. I've only have a A4 printer so to print this plan out I ended up with 10 A4 sheets that had to be stuck together.

There are several ways of getting this plan onto MDF and then cutting the jig out, I do it the old fashioned way. I use carbon copy paper, this is laid out on to the MDF, then the paper plan is laid on top, held in place with a few pieces of sticky tape.

I then draw around the plan as carefully as possible, I do this twice as I'm going to need two jigs, one for the outside profile of the body shape and where different components go, and one for the  chambering.

I have decided to change the shape of the body where the neck leaves the body, I pretty sure you can't buy the neck plate to fit the shape on the plan. I'm only changing the shape slightly so it will fit a commercially available neck plate. The change of shape is shown in red on the MDF.

The second jig for the chambering will be slightly bigger round the profile then the first jig I will explain this later on. 

The jig will be 12mm bigger all the way round.

I cut out the F hole on a scroll saw.

I cut out the inner chambering jig with a jigsaw and then tidy it up with sandpaper.

More tomorrow

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3053
    Interesting stuff!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3186
    Subscribed.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7763
    Nice thread
  • brucegillbrucegill Frets: 712
    Nice one! Looking forward to seeing how this goes. 
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    whoa!!      thanks for the insight - beautiful work  - as expected !!

• greggreg66greggreg66 Frets: 503
    Awesome, look forward to seeing this develop! 
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2339
    tFB Trader

I did not manage to do much done today, working on the two V 90 7 strings had to have priority today and tomorrow and most likely Saturday.

I did manage to get the 3 way switch rout done on the jig, I cheated here I used the standard rout for Les Paul, although I did modify it just a bit, see photo. 

Also completed the jig for the rear control cavity, and the outer rout to take the control cover, tomorrow I will try to make the jig for the cover.

At this stage I will not make jigs for the neck pocket or the pickup pockets, I intent to use existing jigs from other guitars, no point in reinventing the wheel every time you start a new project.

I will also need to make some insert jigs, so if anybody wants a trem I can just drop in a jig in to the existing jig for the chambering so behind the bridge become solid.

There's one other modification I'm going to do, on the plan it shows the neck pocket ending where the neck pickup rout starts. If you look at the jig above I drawn a new line about 6mm into the neck pocket, so there will be a piece of the body between the end of the neck pocket and pick up pocket asper Strats and Teles. I will set it out so the 22nd fret will be at the end of the neck pocket and have a small Fingerboard overhang. I might also move the neck pocket route further back into the body buy a couple of mm, if a pickup ring is going to be used there will be enough room for it.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3820
    These look so tempting! I watched a couple of videos of them on YouTube and Dennis Fano said the thinline version is bigger than the standard RB6. Is your one based on the bigger body, @GSPBASSES ?
    tFB Trader
    Lebarque said:
    These look so tempting! I watched a couple of videos of them on YouTube and Dennis Fano said the thinline version is bigger than the standard RB6. Is your one based on the bigger body, @GSPBASSES ?
    The RB6 thin line I‘m working on is slightly bigger than a thin line Tele only by 25mm on the width, But is exactly the same length. I’m not sure if there are bigger versions of it, maybe some one on the forum who has one would let us know.

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27434
    That looks interesting @GSPBASSES  - not a model that I’d really noticed before, but like the shape.

Hmmmmmmm
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6386
    Mmmmm like the look of that a lot !!!!!!!

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    I mean, what's not to like? Yummy!

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Lebarque said:

Is that yours, if so could you measure across the widest part of the body, and how long the body is please pretty please.

GSPBASSES said:
    Lebarque said:

Is that yours, if so could you measure across the widest part of the body, and how long the body is please pretty please.
    I wish! This is what I'd like to make with a GSP body and neck! I'll subtely email Fano and see if they'll let on re. any dimensions. 
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    Fabulous!   I’m definitely interested in one.     What are you thinking about bridge options? 
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3320
    I have a derivative of the design by Dennis fano 
    It’s chambered rather than thinline. If you think any measurements may help I’m happy to take some. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3186
    This is starting to feel like the perfect adaption of both designs, thinline but still with the German carve. I prefer it tbh.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    grungebob said:
    It’s chambered rather than thinline. If you think any measurements may help I’m happy to take some. 
    That looks the same size as the RB6 with the German carve. The thinline version is bigger with binding I think.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3320
    Lebarque said:
    grungebob said:
    That looks the same size as the RB6 with the German carve. The thinline version is bigger with binding I think.
    I hope it’s not too much bigger then as mines about as big as I’d be comfortable playing seated.