Modern-ish Tele-ish build

What's Hot
CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
edited May 2020 in Making & Modding tFB Trader
The basic idea is an anti-Tele really, a slicker neck joint, lightish weight and a nice top with binding, thinner body than trad. Got to have the trad Tele bridge though. The neck pickup might be a Filtertron but could be anything at this point, or left out altogether.

So first up I sorted out a four quid plane and put it to work jointing some chunks of alder. Yep that'll do:

And worked up a top with some central stripes that'll go through the body too, padauk and plain maple

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader
    Body glued up, chambered, and top glues on. But when thinning the body down and flat this pesky mineral streak appeared. Can't shave any more thickness off. Should be able to make it hide in paint though won't be solid colour

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Came up with a new headshape, i won't be putting my name on any F-shapes. Fired up Inkscape and pulled some curves around with a T head for reference. Hope it's OK.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    All lams were rough-cut on the bandsaw and drawn through a fence against a spindle sander. Gradually closing in the fence. Surprisingly accurate, each piece is within 2-3 hundredths of a mil of it's partner.

However a good size planer-thicknesser with cast iron beds & fence has landed so things should get quicker in future.
    Getting 450lbs of metal off a palette and onto a wheeled base is fun on your own... now playing Workshop Tetris, moving the place all around. Anyway... more coming
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27455
    Corvus said:

So first up I sorted out a four quid plane 

I have no idea where to start in sorting out a four quid plane (nor any other plane for that matter), but am pretty sure it’s a useful thing to be able to do!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MattNovakMattNovak Frets: 907
    I like the headstock shape Bill, its such a tricky thing to get right.
    www.theflyingacesband.com
    tFB Trader
    Thanks Matt. You're right it is tricky, the slightest tweak and you go from "OK" to "what was I thinking" or vice versa in no time.. : )

Tony I reckon it is, there's tons of info out there, it's not hard just takes some time. Couple of things to check so you're not buying a total lemon. Saves a ton of squids compared to buying decent modern ones, nice as some of those are. One day I'll get me a new plane but there's something nice about using the old beasts.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8701
    Does modern-ish mean forearm and belly chamfers?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    tFB Trader
    Just done a beer clearance at the back but theres no drop top. This maple is very hard/stiff and didn't want to chance it even with relief lines. Its thin at 38mm so should be comfy enough  (I hope).
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    edited May 2020
    Wow, just caught up with this one @Corvus !!!   

I suspect its going to be ....much.... better than my Tele build - it look great already. 
    Particularly like the body lams.    

Do you have any pics of your spindle sander thicknessing set up you can share ?  - I need to try that and certainly won't be getting a planer thicknesses in the shed any time soon.....
    tFB Trader
    Thanks very much Pete but don't be putting your build down mate.. they're just different, thats all there is to it.

My rig was a terrible dirty experiment : ) clamped a fence I made for a table router to the spindle table. Clamp each end. When you want to close up the clearance, loosen one end and tap it.
    Try and get the fence as parallel as poss to the spindle, mines a basic Triton one. Table wasn't flat so took it off and beat the crap out of it with oak drifts and lump hammer... not perfect but much better.
    I'll make a better fence that bolts on.

Main thing was not doing much each run. And getting position sorted so you can push & pull steady without stopping. Otherwise you get a 'rut', though they come out as you thin it more.
    And flipping the strips makes them more even across the width.
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    Hi Bill,  I have the same basic one,  rebranded as something else I think.   I'll try and make a similar rig and see how I get on. 
    Learning tons !  
    Thanks

tFB Trader
    Indeed, I got the idea when someone said they thinned headstocks like that. I'm sure it's not a new idea for strips, but it came in handy.
    tFB Trader
    Small update after a week of lots of things breaking, two routers iffy, knackered a template and a fretboard blank, damaged some paint, more besides, even me boots split. The fretting mitre box has done it's last and the saw feels like it needs a sharpen or a bin, so I got a small table saw and blade and starting making a sled.

Anyway. For some reason i thought doing two lots of 3-strips purfling wasn't going to be a pain or need the services of a patient octopus. Liking how it looks though. Did a quick thin sealer coat -

0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    Looks good!
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27455
    Corvus said:

That is tasty.  Love it!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7027
    tFB Trader
    That binding is gorgeous
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    That’s really nice!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3290
    tFB Trader
    I like that too, nice work Bill
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    tFB Trader
    Thanks a lot all, cheers

edited June 2020 tFB Trader
    Mainly breaking things still, but got the neck well underway. Rosewood, shell dots, 12" radius and bound with the stripes. What a PITA that was, 2 attempts and lots of time

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom