What all round Bass ?

What's Hot

Comments

• Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1387
    ICBM said:
    Hmmm so that overkill pickup could nearly go in the neck of a J bass !
    Not if it's a Jazz bridge size - they don't fit in the same routs.
    It’s made for a j rout from what I can see
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72249
    Creed_Clicks said:

Jazz pickups are not the same size, the bridge is bigger.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    Creed_Clicks said:

Jazz pickups are not the same size, the bridge is bigger.
    Ah silly me ! I did not know this ! Again I’ve been a guitar player primarily :/
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    I put it to you that Ash has compensated for the positional difference between Brands R and F in his design. 

Simple A/B comparisons between a 4001/4003 and Overkill prototypes in a Fender could have been made until the illusion is satisfactory.

@Creed_Clicks If the OCP Overkill pickup does not satisfy your requirements, drop me a PM. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    @Funkfingers I need to get a J bass first to swap out the pickup so might be a while under current conditions before I get to test it out. On the lookout for a g&l tribute or squier cv etc 
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 982
    Precision 
    @Funkfingers I need to get a J bass first to swap out the pickup 
    Unless you specified a short/“neck” position Overkill pickup, a PJ bass would be just as valid for testing purposes as a Jazz. 

In some respects, a PJ would be better. The P/R combination covers more sonic possibilities - either via conventional VVT controls or master volume, master tone and a three-way selector switch.
    edited May 2020
    @Funkfingers I need to get a J bass first to swap out the pickup 
    Unless you specified a short/“neck” position Overkill pickup, a PJ bass would be just as valid for testing purposes as a Jazz. 

In some respects, a PJ would be better. The P/R combination covers more sonic possibilities - either via conventional VVT controls or master volume, master tone and a three-way selector switch.
    Yes, I had been thinking of that option as well, perhaps a short scale even, or the CV Jaguar medium scale, as I'd most likely be playing it for heavier/aggressive styles, so maybe a shorter scale might help moving up and down the neck, but wouldn't be a biggy in any case. One or the other, a J or PJ config. Need to sell a few bits and bobs first, but will keep the eyes open on what's coming up for sale.
    Ibanez mezzo might be a nice punt!
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2082
    edited May 2020
    Ok, so Im thinking a PJ Fender USA is looking likely....they run at around 200-300 for Squire, and 750 - 950 USA used.

Thoughts on Squires ?

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    @spark240 They all seem to get favourable reviews. I would be curious to hear differences between Squier affinity v standard v CV etc.
    I would imagine affinity is for complete beginners, but I've played some standard Squier stuff which felt good. CV or VM seems to be a safe bet. But then you could consider the G&L tributes too.
    spark240 said:
    Thoughts on Squiers?
    Fender/Squier has been a bit naughty with the series nomenclature. Some of the Standard, Vintage Modified and latest Indonesian Classic Vibe are exactly the same as each other apart from the headstock decals.

The good news is that these instruments  are all very playable straight out of the box. The pickups and electronics are a bit cheap but easily replaceable. The neck profiles are modern and friendly. (No man-size Precision Bass nut widths!) I would be happy to gig one of these - with or without upgrades.

The old MIJ Silver Series bass guitars are nicer. Same pickup and electronics cheapness. The stock 1-ply scratchplates on some models are unsightly. No PJs. 

The Classic Vibe series is conspicuous by its high gloss finish. I always want to tumble the fingerboard edges. In some respects, they remind me of the Nineties MIK instruments.

If you find a JV series, in reasonable condition, at a reasonable price, grab it. 
    G&L tribute.
    The first thing you will notice about any G&L Tribute series guitar or bass is its weight. Sen, agathis, whatever. Doesn’t seem to matter. The grain may look attractive but your shoulder is going to suffer for your art.

Many of the Tribute bass guitars come with proprietary MFD pickups. These are of unique outline and not easily replaced without additional routing. Make certain that you like how these pickups sound before committing to a purchase.

The Tribute series is manufactured in the same factory as most of the current Squiers. Build quality and playability are on a par. 
    edited May 2020
    Good heads up there @Funkfingers . I'll be inclined to steer clear of very heavy basses, so might just keep things safe, and look for a squier!

You might know the answer off the top of your head to this one. In general, are the J pickups on non Fender models standard sizes?

e.g. the bridge pickup I got from Oil City could fit the likes of a JP configured Ibanez mezzo, Yamaha BB, Spector Performer,ESP Ltd AP. (Looking at lower end, but not too low, for the purposes of modding)
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 631
    ICBM said:
    This is a useful graphic...

This is interesting - I assume the 2-pickup Stingrays have the bridge pickup in the same position as the one pickup on the single pickup version.

Do most modern J and PJ basses have the bridge pickup in the 60s or 70s location?

I'd also be interested to see how the two pickups in a Warwick Double Buck line up
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72249
    Jeremiah said:

I assume the 2-pickup Stingrays have the bridge pickup in the same position as the one pickup on the single pickup version.
    Yes.

Jeremiah said:

Do most modern J and PJ basses have the bridge pickup in the 60s or 70s location?
    70s, usually - a Precision with it in the 60s position looks a bit odd because the J pickup is right up against the pickguard. The 70s position looks more natural, roughly halfway between the guard and the bridge. Most other PJs I can think of without pickguards still seem to have it in, or closer to, the 70s position.

Jeremiah said:

I'd also be interested to see how the two pickups in a Warwick Double Buck line up
    It looks to me like the 'bridge' one is roughly where the Stingray pickup is, with the 'neck' pickup much closer to it, I think roughly where the front pickup on a Thunderbird is.

Unsurprisingly, they are by far my favourite Warwick bass - in fact the only one I really like.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Mr_OrangeMr_Orange Frets: 8
    The most versatile bass I have come across is the Warwick Streamer Jazzman.
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4130
    What’s the consensus on the Fender/Squier Dimension models? They seemed like a nice spec to my untrained eye, but apparently didn’t take off too well and got discontinued. 
    What’s the consensus on the Fender/Squier Dimension models? 
    Nice to play. (Excellent modern asymmetric neck profile.) Nasty to look at. (Kind people might say ungainly. Blunt speakers would say fugly.) Sounds different to P, J and 'Ray.

The two-pickup versions with a lever selector switch have versatility. The single pickup versions with active EQ will attract obvious but erroneous comparisons to the Musicman Stingray. The passive VVT American Standard benefits from its electronic simplicity ... but, of course, I would say that, wouldn't I? *

The Squier Dimension Bass has only been offered in single pickup + 3-band EQ format. The neck is nothing like as nice. Matting the gloss finish might improve matters.

The good news is that the economy pickup is two Jazz Bass coils under a plastic cover. This makes the Squier easy to modify. EMG35-sized soapbar pickups will fit the existing rout. 

I cannot comment on the MIM models as I have never had the opportunity to try one. The one with a triple coil pickup could be interesting in anIbanez ATK kinda way.

* FULL DISCLOSURE
    I have a 2014 Fender American Standard Dimension Bass listed in the classifieds. I can think of at least another two sellers of active versions. One of them might be a five string.

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4130
    Thanks @Funkfingers, very useful!

I’m leaning towards a Sire M series, but I’m still deciding on the various body wood options. Does it really make as much difference on a bass though with active pickups and EQs?
    I think so.

The German-made Warwick Corvette was offered with bodies of ash or bubinga. The former sounds scooped, snappy and wiry whereas the latter has a fuller low midrange for more of that supposedly characteristic Warwick growl.

The Sire M series should be a good instrument straight out of the box. The pickup format allows you to transform the sounds to whatever takes your fancy in the future. Aguilar, Bartolini, Delano, Duncan NYC, EMG, Lace, Nordstrand, you name it.