Any NSG owners out there?

What's Hot

Comments

• UncleBiffUncleBiff Frets: 52

Always wanted one, could never afford one. Then you stopped making them! Shame on you D D
    Get on eBay, I can’t believe the prices they go for sometimes. They used to cost me around £1500 before Labour and overheads and I’ve seen them go for half that!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1368
    UncleBiff said:
    I still have an NSG26. I think I've played it 3 or 4 times since I got it, and that was years ago after it eventually arrived. The process of getting it made was such a pain that I cannot face using it, and I really should get rid of it. It was made with the fretboard slightly tilted on the neck, so that the bass side is a little lower than the treble side. It hasn't caused the neck to distort, and string alignment is OK (It means you can notice that one side of the Bridge is higher), but I wonder whether anyone would actually want it.
    Which one was is it? Do you have any pics? If I’m honest, the bit I always found the trickiest was getting the fingerboard and Fretting just right. When I changed to CNC, and lots were coming through at once in a batch, I didn’t always have the time I needed to get them perfect. Potentially it could it be re-sanded level to even it up and refretted?
    Figured Redwood Top. Also had to have the finish removed and resprayed because it initially was sprayed a very dark sunburst, when it should have been an edge burst. This could well have been down to the fact that the person, who was originally meant to be doing the spraying, told me he'd never seen the guitar, so it must have been somebody else who messed it up.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    For me, finishing was by far the biggest issue I used to have. So many instruments came back not looking like I, or the customer were expecting, and then everything always turned into a nightmare. I didn’t have the space, money or time to bring it in house back then and there weren’t many people doing it at the time. Moving forward, The beauty of doing it ‘for the love of it’ means there’s no pressure, no deadlines, and you can be in control of everything. Then, when it’s ready, it’s ready! I’m currently planning to construct a small spray booth, just deciding what spraying system to use and what materials to spray. Thats a minefield too!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3117
    edited May 2020
    @UncleBiff  hi buddy haven’t seen you about since that last gig in the Oakhill ! You still local? Doug
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4130
    I'll have to dig out the completed pictures of this one but it's been in the hands of @Evilmags for quite a number of years now. I realised not long after it arrived that I'd specc'd it too bright for the sound I had in my head, and for a number of small reasons ended up swapping it for a very lovely PRS Custom 22 (which I foolishly later sold on!).

This one was a swamp ash back, maple top & flamed neck, cocobolo board, and loaded with the old sig. knuckledusters. I love the designs of the 25 and 26, but preferred the 3x3 headstock to the 4x2. It was a great feeling guitar, but not quite for me. I know more now about what I like in a build than I did back then, and suspect I'd end up with something more to my liking "next" time. :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @UncleBiff  hi buddy haven’t seen you about since that last gig in the Oakhill ! You still local? Doug
    I can't even remember playing in The Oakhill, but my memory is crap. I'm still based in Saltford, between Bristol and Bath.

I'll have to dig out the completed pictures of this one but it's been in the hands of @Evilmags for quite a number of years now. I realised not long after it arrived that I'd specc'd it too bright for the sound I had in my head, and for a number of small reasons ended up swapping it for a very lovely PRS Custom 22 (which I foolishly later sold on!).

This one was a swamp ash back, maple top & flamed neck, cocobolo board, and loaded with the old sig. knuckledusters. I love the designs of the 25 and 26, but preferred the 3x3 headstock to the 4x2. It was a great feeling guitar, but not quite for me. I know more now about what I like in a build than I did back then, and suspect I'd end up with something more to my liking "next" time. :)

I don't have a pic of that one anywhere. If you can find any pics of it completed that would be great.
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    UncleBiff said:

I don't have a pic of that one anywhere. If you can find any pics of it completed that would be great.
    I still have it. Send me an email or a Facebook and I'll send you photos. It will probably get fatter frets, probably stainless, at some point, but it's still in tip top shape.
  • Johnw84Johnw84 Frets: 55
    edited May 2020
    Ok, Finally managed to get some pictures!

https://imgur.com/a/PtMRnI6

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ^ that 'hog bodied one is lovely!
    Johnw84 said:
    Ok, Finally managed to get some pictures!

https://imgur.com/a/PtMRnI6

Nice combo. I think that was the only maple fingerboard I ever did. I was looking to buy that one back last year but I didn't have the spare cash at the time. I always loved the simplicity of the all mahogany NSG26's.
  • Johnw84Johnw84 Frets: 55
    They are both stunning guitars. I did have them for sale at a point and I'm so glad they didn't sell. I'd have regretted it immensely. There's a small group of guitars I don't think I'll ever sell and these are in there now. 
    Evilmags said:
    UncleBiff said:

I still have it. Send me an email or a Facebook and I'll send you photos. It will probably get fatter frets, probably stainless, at some point, but it's still in tip top shape.
    Excellent, my email is nathan@nathansheppard.co.uk. I see stainless steel frets are all the rage now, what are the pros and cons?
  • joeWjoeW Frets: 461
    This is the first I have heard of these instruments, but they look amazing - esp the single cuts. Those necks are majestic.
  • BowksBowks Frets: 414
    edited May 2020
    Here's my NSG25

It's got a one piece Mytlewood top and swamp ash back with a walnut veneer between the 2, giving it a cool pinstripe.

Maple neck with a ziricote fingerboard and braz rosewood binding.

A pair of BKP Nailbombs top it all off.

I do have a ton of photos documenting the build process, but Photobucket is not my friend. Will need to find them on a hard drive which  am sure i have somewhere, if only to share the fingerboard alone.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Bowks said:
    Here's my NSG25

It's got a one piece Mytlewood top and swamp ash back with a walnut veneer between the 2, giving it a cool pinstripe.

Maple neck with a ziricote fingerboard and braz rosewood binding.

A pair of BKP Nailbombs top it all off.

I do have a ton of photos documenting the build process, but Photobucket is not my friend. Will need to find them on a hard drive which  am sure i have somewhere, if only to share the fingerboard alone.

This is when I fell in love with ziricote!
  • BowksBowks Frets: 414
    edited May 2020
    Told you the first picture didn't do it justice!

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    UncleBiff said:
    Evilmags said:
    UncleBiff said:

Excellent, my email is nathan@nathansheppard.co.uk. I see stainless steel frets are all the rage now, what are the pros and cons?
    Cons: they are brighter and harder to work on. A fair few blues rock style players find the too slinky to intonate well on and strings dont last as long.

Pros: they dont need dressed if you have a hefty vibrato. Bending is easier. They dont corrode and need cleaned all the time . 

Simon's specs of the frets would not been mine. I'd have gone for jumbo Jescar golds. But the guitar still works and lives.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Evilmags said:
    UncleBiff said:
    Evilmags said:
    UncleBiff said:

Cons: they are brighter and harder to work on. A fair few blues rock style players find the too slinky to intonate well on and strings dont last as long.

Pros: they dont need dressed if you have a hefty vibrato. Bending is easier. They dont corrode and need cleaned all the time . 

Simon's specs of the frets would not been mine. I'd have gone for jumbo Jescar golds. But the guitar still works and lives.
    Interesting.
    Do you have any pics? I don’t have any of that one finished.
    edited June 2020
    Evilmags said:

To be fair, I wouldn’t go for those again either, but I’d been playing a ‘62 reissue strat as my main guitar for a while before ordering the NSG and had gotten used to the fee of them - Nathan talked me out of using a 7.25” radius though!

As it happens I now have jumbo Jescar golds on my current main guitar btw - lovely things!

@UncleBiff - apologies, haven’t been able to find any yet. I think they must be on an old hard drive in the loft somewhere. It had a phenomenal piece of swamp ash on the back, and the figuring on the fingerboard was beautiful - it kicked off my interest in cocobolo.