Strings for a Gretsch G2220 Junior Jet Bass II

What's Hot
imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3740
Hi,

I just got one of these second-hand and it seems very nice.  It's strung with flat-wounds and, as a bass ignoramus, I am wondering what difference putting on wound strings will make?  Also, what gauge to fit it with, whichever I choose - it's short-scale.

I'm intending to use it for basic home recording, covering a few styles, some heavy, some light.  I appreciate it's maybe not the right bass for my heavier stuff but thought I'd start somewhere!

Thanks.
Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mbembe Frets: 1840
    Roundwound strings will sound twangier than flats, more sizzle than thump. Just look for a short scale set, maybe try Ernie Ball 40-100.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24183
    Will definitely sound very different with rounds. Plenty of youtube vids comparing strings to try.

Choice in short scale strings isn't as wide as regular long scale, but most companies have one or 2 options.

You will also find that some makers describe their strings differently - so measure your strings from the anchor point on the bridge NOT including the ball end of the string, to just past the nut. Then if a company tells you the length from ball end to taper / silk you'll know if it will fit properly.

a 30 inch scale bass probably has a measurement of 31-32 inches from ball end to just past the nut.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom