68 Custom Princeton Reverb - 240v mod?

What's Hot
AlexlotlAlexlotl Frets: 172
I'm currently looking at picking up a Fender 68 CPR (the Silverface Princeton) as my first proper valve amp.

When I was previously researching Fender Blues Jr models, it was pretty well documented that they ran at 230v due to EU regulations, rather than at the 240v that is actually delivered by UK plug sockets. This apparently reduced valve life and (debatably) affected tone/noise floor. The solution was a solder-free swapping of two wires to restore proper 240v operation.

I can't find any documentation on the web about similar issues with the 68 CPR or 65 PRRI. Is this also an issue for those models, and if so, is there a similarly easy fix?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3137
    tFB Trader
    Yes, these need swapping over too.

Locate P8 (White) and P17 (White/Black) on the board, and swap.

Obviously, disconnect the amp from the mains first.

*I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexlotlAlexlotl Frets: 172
    Fantastic, cheers! As with the Blues Jr, is this a solder-free mod?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72256
    Alexlotl said:

As with the Blues Jr, is this a solder-free mod?
    Yes. You may have to snip a cable tie to get enough slack in the wires to do it, but if you don’t have one to replace it with it won’t matter.

Often Fender leave them slack enough that if you’re careful to cut right up against the lock, you can re-use the same one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6683
    Would this be the same on the 68 Custom Deluxe reverb?
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    edited May 2020
    soma1975 said:
    Would this be the same on the 68 Custom Deluxe reverb?
    Yes - in this case it’s P2 and P8. The 230V wire is the white/black stripe, and the 240V the plain black, on almost all the models as far as I know.

Edit - not all. The '57 Champ appears to be different.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6683
    lovely thanks. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1795
    Adding to the 68 Custom knowledge, how about on my Vibrolux?
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3137
    tFB Trader
    ALL modern Fender amps sold in the UK benefit from the 240v conversion
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4170
    edited May 2020
    RiftAmps said:
    ALL modern Fender amps sold in the UK benefit from the 240v conversion
    Interesting - would that include something like the Custom 57 Champ do you suppose?

EDIT: actually don't worry - just looked inside mine and the black-with-white-stripe wire isn't connected to anything so presumable these already come wired for 240v
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12886
    Hmm. Assuming the 65 PRRI and the 68 PRRI have exactly the same instructions? 
    Lewy said:

Interesting - would that include something like the Custom 57 Champ do you suppose?

EDIT: actually don't worry - just looked inside mine and the black-with-white-stripe wire isn't connected to anything so presumable these already come wired for 240v
    No - I checked the schematic and on that model, 240V is white/black and 230V is white - neutral is black.

Unless you bought it second hand, it will be 230V - under EU law, Fender *must* supply the amps set for that, which is the official voltage.

(I doubt that will change now, even though it would have been one of the possible slight benefits...)

Luckily, Australia and New Zealand still officially use 240V, so the tap is fitted to most (but not all - the Pro Junior is an exception) Fender amps.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4170
    ICBM said:
    Lewy said:

No - I checked the schematic and on that model, 240V is white/black and 230V is white - neutral is black.

Unless you bought it second hand, it will be 230V - under EU law, Fender *must* supply the amps set for that, which is the official voltage.

(I doubt that will change now, even though it would have been one of the possible slight benefits...)

Luckily, Australia and New Zealand still officially use 240V, so the tap is fitted to most (but not all - the Pro Junior is an exception) Fender amps.

Interesting, thanks @ICBM ; The 240v wire doesn't have a connector on it, it's just taped over so it's not an entirely hassle free operation to swap them as it seems on the other amps. Still, if it might reduce the mains hum it might be worth the bother....
    On the schematic it says ‘cut and insulate’ for the unused wire in each version, so unfortunately it isn’t as simple as swapping connectors on this one.

• noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 796
    I should probably do my 65PRRI I suppose - presumably it’s the same connectors as the 68CPR?
  • BlackdreamBlackdream Frets: 17
    I've just done my 68 CDRRI. It's pretty straightforward except that p2 is quite hard to spot and access - it's under the thick part of the loom just where fender have put a cable tie. I put another cable tie loosely round the loom and then cut the original to get to the terminal through the loom. The other thing that initially threw me was that the white / black wire was arranged in such a way that most of the black stripe was hidden by the other wires in the loom - again it took me a while to spot it. However there is plenty of wire available to swap them both over.  The amp's reassembled now and seems a little quieter than before
    I should probably do my 65PRRI I suppose - presumably it’s the same connectors as the 68CPR?
    Yes.

Blackdream said:

The amp's reassembled now and seems a little quieter than before
    It should be both a little quieter noise-wise, and slightly lower in output power - not a lot, and it might be hard to tell.

• BlackdreamBlackdream Frets: 17
    ICBM said:
    Yes.

Blackdream said:

The amp's reassembled now and seems a little quieter than before
    It should be both a little quieter noise-wise, and slightly lower in output power - not a lot, and it might be hard to tell.
    No worries, it was very loud to start with!
    Yes, these days it's rare to find anyone who doesn't find a little less output and slightly earlier breakup an advantage rather than a disadvantage. If the difference is enough to make the amp no longer loud enough, you probably have the wrong amp - or need to change it more drastically, like by fitting a more efficient speaker.

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12886
    Has anyone got a "howto" for getting inside a PRRI? 

Is it literally just as simple as undoing the four screws on the top and sliding the chassis out? Are there any nuts or bolts to watch out for? 

• dannyboy82dannyboy82 Frets: 150
    edited May 2020
    Has anyone got a "howto" for getting inside a PRRI? 

Is it literally just as simple as undoing the four screws on the top and sliding the chassis out? Are there any nuts or bolts to watch out for? 

Exactly as you describe. Obviously it will need to be removed from the rear of the amp! Watch for the face-plate catching on anything as well as it chips/marks quite easily.