68 Custom Princeton Reverb - 240v mod?

What's Hot

Comments

• agibboagibbo Frets: 102
    I think I will do this mod on my amp too. Is it as easy as it sounds, just swapping the two connectors over?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72245
    crunchman said:
    Is the amp likely to need rebiasing afterwards?
    No.

agibbo said:
    I think I will do this mod on my amp too. Is it as easy as it sounds, just swapping the two connectors over?
    Yes.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12885
    edited June 2020
    agibbo said:
    Yes although in my case both connectors were pretty hard to take off. Just be patient, it's not difficult. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2284
    I've just done mine. The board was dated March 2017. '230' was written in magic marker on the chassis lip next to the mains inlet, and sure enough, the transformer wires were connected for 230V. I have swapped them for 240V operation.

After I put the amp back together and fired it up, the difference in sound was...

non-existent. At least it's not being cooked though  =)

• Would those of you who’ve done the swap say the chassis feels a bit cooler? 
    edited June 2020
    Would those of you who’ve done the swap say the chassis feels a bit cooler? 
    I really can’t tell, sorry.
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    edited June 2020
    Keefy said:
    I've just done mine. The board was dated March 2017. '230' was written in magic marker on the chassis lip next to the mains inlet, and sure enough, the transformer wires were connected for 230V. I have swapped them for 240V operation.

I’ve now crossed out 230 EU and in perm marker written 240vUK.

It lets any amp tech know what they are working with.
    fandango said:
    Keefy said:

I’ve now crossed out 230 EU and in perm marker written 240vUK.

It lets any amp tech know what they are working with.
    Wish I'd thought to do that before putting it all back together!

Definitely cooler.

Maybe, but I wouldn't be surprised if thats psychosomatic. 

Maybe, but I wouldn't be surprised if thats psychosomatic

Sorry, but that’s absolute tosh.

Temperature is an easily measurable via a temp gauge. NothIng to do with thought patterns.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    fandango said:
    Maybe, but I wouldn't be surprised if thats psychosomatic

Sorry, but that’s absolute tosh.

Temperature is an easily measurable via a temp gauge. NothIng to do with thought patterns.
    Yeah, only I was measuring by touching my amp with my hand, a few days after changing something. So you can keep your tosh, ta. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • agibboagibbo Frets: 102
    I've just converted mine to 240v and I would say it's a massive difference!

Although it wasn't a noisy amp before, the noise floor is now barely audible and I can hardly hear that the amp is on (with no background hiss at home volume). 

It also seems to sound slightly clearer with the vibrato engaged too.

I'm normally useless with this sort of thing, but if I can do it anyone can, and I highly recommend it!
  • might give this a crack on my 68 CDR later. @soma1975 thats what you have right? Mind if I shoot you a message if I get stuck?
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6682
    might give this a crack on my 68 CDR later. @soma1975 thats what you have right? Mind if I shoot you a message if I get stuck?
    By all means give me a message, but know that I opened it up, saw a purple lead where the black one should be and put it all away again. 

But if you don't die let me know and I'll copy. 

My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6682
    edited June 2020
    Just done it. Amp definitely quieter. Less noise. Bit less headroom which is great for me at home. Thanks again @ICBM ;
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1098
    I know it’s not an amp with as much info available as a Princeton but is this likely to be possible/worthwhile with a bassbreaker 18/30?
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5004
    RiftAmps said:
    ALL modern Fender amps sold in the UK benefit from the 240v conversion
    Chris, this may be a dumb question but are your amps like the PR18 and Tweed 15 setup for 240v operation rather than 230v? Thanks.
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3135
    tFB Trader
    RiftAmps said:
    ALL modern Fender amps sold in the UK benefit from the 240v conversion
    Chris, this may be a dumb question but are your amps like the PR18 and Tweed 15 setup for 240v operation rather than 230v? Thanks.
    If the amp was originally built for a UK customer, it will be wired for 240v.

EU amps are wired for 230v, USA 120v.
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72245
    Alex2678 said:
    I know it’s not an amp with as much info available as a Princeton but is this likely to be possible/worthwhile with a bassbreaker 18/30?
    Fender have started being a lot less helpful with publishing their schematics, but I have one for the Bassbreaker 15 which shows the usual white/black 230V (on P12) and black 240V (on P2) wires, so if the 18/30 is the same - the connector numbers may be different - then it will also be possible, and as RiftAmps says it's worth it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom