Replacement combo for Markbass Minimark 802

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 4980
I have an offer to buy my Markbass 802 combo. TBH I am not anxious to sell it but if a better alternative exists, I would go for it. Something small and not too heavy (more or less as the 802 is) would be perfect. Budget is not unlimited. Suggestions welcomed. Thanks. 
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24269
    The 802 suffers because it has a very small cabinet and is quite boxy sounding and the EQ is very limited.
    There are many better options, but as with all bass things - lightweight either means cheap crap or proper money.

Can you give an indication as to your budget?

Also - is there anything in particular you like and don't like about how it sounds?
    Bass amps have their own sound just like Marshall / Fender / Vox do for guitars.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    The 802 does all I require, any replacement would need to be as loud or louder without distorting.  Budget around €450 - €500 max.

I don't want a big box that takes up a lot of space in our music room.  The 802 is fine in that regard.  Likewise weight is an issue.  Again the 802 gets a big thumbs up in that it is not heavy.

Probably best to decline the offer and keep what works for me.  Unless there are better options available out there.  Thanks @fretmeister ;
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• WhistlerWhistler Frets: 322
    Rocker said:
    Probably best to decline the offer and keep what works for me.
    That is the impression I get from your comments. It is good to go through the thought process and even better to end up realising that you already have the best rig.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    Speaking from personal experience, it's usually a bad idea to allow yourself to be talked into selling something you weren't intending to sell, thinking that you don't really love it and that you can easily find something else that does the same job...

I've done it several times and mostly regretted it at some point, when I found it harder to get something else that did the job as well. Something that just works for you is better than going down the rabbit hole of other options if you don't need to.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24269
    Sounds like you like it and want to keep it.

Even if you stayed within Mark Bass range (I am a fan as well) you'd need to spend about £650 for a combo that was a proper upgrade, and more if it was a head and cab.

Why were you thinking of selling? I get "shiny thing" syndrome, but I have gear I really like and would not let it go.
    I'd add to it! :D 
    What is the forum opinion of Trace Elliot bass gear?  I can get an ELF head and the matching ELF 1 * 10" cabinet (both new) for more or less what I am being offered for the Markbass.  I have no knowledge of the brand or what the duo might offer compared to the Markbass.  Would it make better sense to opt for a 2 * 10" cabinet?  Thanks.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    Rocker said:
    What is the forum opinion of Trace Elliot bass gear?  I can get an ELF head and the matching ELF 1 * 10" cabinet (both new) for more or less what I am being offered for the Markbass.  I have no knowledge of the brand or what the duo might offer compared to the Markbass.  Would it make better sense to opt for a 2 * 10" cabinet?  Thanks.
    I'd avoid the Elf, unless you need a truly tiny amp that fits in the pocket of your gig bag - and the cabinet still won't :). The one I tried sounded weak for its supposed 200W power rating, and ran quite hot. It was noticeably quieter than my Ampeg Micro VR (also 200W) into the same cabinet. I would not be surprised if they're not that reliable either - tiny Class D/SMPS amps don't seem to be.

Trading the second hand price of one piece of gear for the new price of another is almost always going to result in a downgrade, unless there's been a radical improvement in technology in the mean time. (There hasn't.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• mbembe Frets: 1840
    For that sort of money would the 200watt Gallien Krueger MB-112 be an upgrade,  though just a few pounds heavier?
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7769
    Keep what you have, unless you are going bigger.
    Thanks to everyone who contributed, and one who did so by PM, to my question.  In the end I decided that it would cost too much to go for a head & cab that is significantly better than my Markbass.  My rig works perfectly in our band, playing country and MOR songs, and I would have to learn the ins and outs of a new amp and, somehow, get it sounding similar to my Markbass!

So, for the time being at any rate, my decision is to keep the Markbass I have.  Again thanks to everyone.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum