psu recommendations

What's Hot
gilbygilby Frets: 176
Have a couple of ehx, a joyo and room for a tuner. All nine volt neg' centre.

Can you good folks recommend a cheapish psu. Shop I asked went with the mxr dc brick. Looks the business but a bit more than I need and definitely the wrong end of the price wedge for me.

Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Visual Sounds One Spot
  • Go for the Harley Benton Powerplant Junior if you're up for changing the plug on the end of the power chord. It comes with a grounded euro plug so I snipped it off and wired a uk 3 pin plug to it and it works a charm. Nice small foot print and loads of cables, plus it's isolated. It's pretty cheap too : http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_powerplant_junior.htm

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • kelvinburnkelvinburn Frets: 156
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11445
    DC brick is way overpriced for what it is.  It's priced like the high end ones that have isolated outputs but doesn't have isolated outputs.  The ones mentioned above are a lot better.

The Harley Benton gives you isolated outputs which is good, but at 120mA each they won't run some digital pedals if you go that way in the future.

The One Spot isn't isolated but does give you a lot of current to play with.  Most of the time non-isolated isn't a problem, but some pedals will generate noise with non-isolated supplies.

Given that you are likely to want to buy other pedals in the future I'd recommend getting a decent one to start with.  I'm on my fourth power supply now as I've had to keep upgrading because I was getting noise when the supply wasn't isolated and/or it couldn't provide enought juice when I bought a new pedal.  I'd suggest spending more and getting something like a Hot Stone Deluxe.  It works out a lot cheaper in the long run than buying one anyway after you've lost money on 3 other supplies.
  • dano91dano91 Frets: 24
    The One Spot is a good choice for daisy chaining pedals. Does the job and gets a good write up from many guitarists.

I'd recommend getting the combo pack as it works out cheaper than buying all the bits individually. 
  • gilbygilby Frets: 176
    Thanks for all the advice, now feel a bit spoilt for choice !
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Which EHX pedals is it?
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    There's a Mooer one available which is quite similar to the Diago for about 18 quid.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72227
    edited June 2014
    I really don't like the One Spot types. Don't get any which is a wall-wart with a thin trailing cable, particularly if you plan to gig with it. It will break sooner or later.

Get one which is a box that mounts on the pedalboard, with a mains cable (preferably detachable, although you may not get that on anything cheap). Even the old 'Power Bank' ones are OK if you don't need isolated outputs.

The Harley Benton one looks like the best for the money listed so far.

There is another nasty catch with the One Spot types which I've seen quite a few times recently - if you do accidentally connect it to a pedal with the wrong polarity socket, the supply has such a high current capacity that it will happily destroy the protection diode in the pedal and then fry the rest of the circuitry, making the pedal unrepairable. Lower-rated supplies won't destroy the diode - even though they will sometimes short it, but the pedal will then be repairable fairly cheaply. Any single output with a capacity of over 1A (1000mA) is potentially risky for this - if you need more than 1A total, a supply with lower-rated individual isolated outputs is far better and safer.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • An additional bonus for the Harley Benton Jr is that it comes with a Y cable which allow one of your pedals to consume the power from 2 sockets, doubling the power. I haven't tried this yet but I need to tonight before setting up.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2346
    edited June 2014
    ICBM said:
    Get one which is a box that mounts on the pedalboard, with a mains cable (preferably detachable, although you may not get that on anything cheap). Even the old 'Power Bank' ones are OK if you don't need isolated outputs.

The Harley Benton one looks like the best for the money listed so far.
    I think that fame one (the alleged voodoo labs clone) that musicstore/dv247 sells has a detachable mains cable. I haven't tried it, though (and the one time I bought from music store, my shopping experience wasn't great, to say the least).
  • jonnypioww;270646" said:
    Go for the Harley Benton Powerplant Junior if you're up for changing the plug on the end of the power chord. It comes with a grounded euro plug so I snipped it off and wired a uk 3 pin plug to it and it works a charm. Nice small foot print and loads of cables, plus it's isolated. It's pretty cheap too : http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_powerplant_junior.htm
    This. I use mine with a shaving plug adaptor thing :)
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2346
    Does it make your shaver less noisy?
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9577
    Good with face fuzz, not so good with a fuzz face?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It's really great for smooth tones, but tends to destroy the rough and ready stuff.
  • +1 for Harley Benton Jr.
    Ask Thomann for a uk plug adaptor when u buy ur HBJr and they'll throw one in for nowt:)
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962

Dave_Mc said:
    Does it make your shaver less noisy?
    Nah, I bet his shaver still hums like buggery.