Space X/NASA launch

What's Hot
mattdavismattdavis Frets: 841
Anyone following this today? My kids are actually really excited, following it on NASA’s YouTube channel. I know it’s not really any different from a Kazakhstan launch, but seeing the slightly different styling of the rocket and the very ‘Tesla’ space suits somehow makes this feel a bit more futuristic and special. Nice to focus on some of the truly astonishing things humans are capable as an antidote to the usual miserable shite that fills the news. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2758
    Timings?  Weblink?  Cheers :)

• wibblewibble Frets: 1097
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24265
    edited May 2020
    The Dragon capsule will be (in theory) visible tonight.  If you have a clear view of the Western horizon, you might be in with a chance.  It's only going to reach 15 degrees above the horizon so look low.  It will appear about as bright as the North Star, and will appear slightly left of dead West at 23:26 (launch time dependent of course), very low in the sky, moving to the left and rising very slightly.  It will only be visible for one minute.  The further South you live, the better your chances.  Anyone North of Birmingham won't see it at all unfortunately.

Stick your location in here and see what it shows for the Dragon capsule...  https://www.heavens-above.com/

The Space Station will precede it about 30 minutes earlier (22:57), starting off slightly to the right of where the Dragon should appear, still moving right to left, but climbing higher in the sky, reaching about 40 degrees above the horizon.

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4257
    Have you considered being an astronaut Emp?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mattdavismattdavis Frets: 841
    That’s interesting Emp. I’d thought that ISS May be visible looking west at 21.20 and then space X at 21.50 (assuming it launches as planned at 21.33). I’ll have to double check - and Tim Peake will get a talking to as it was his Facebook post I was following :-)
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4181
    watching it too, 

edited May 2020
    It’s very cloudy in London. Not sure I’ll be seeing much this eve unfortunately. On the plus side, my son is seeming very inspired after Musk’s little speech about the next generation of engineers. If Elon gets him doing his maths without whinging, I’ll feel duty-bound to get a Tesla. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1590
    mattdavis said:
    That’s interesting Emp. I’d thought that ISS May be visible looking west at 21.20 and then space X at 21.50 (assuming it launches as planned at 21.33). I’ll have to double check - and Tim Peake will get a talking to as it was his Facebook post I was following :-)

Yes should hopefully be visible at around 2155.  2327 is the next pass, I'll be in bed by then though!  Here's hoping for clear sky later.
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    Very clear here in Dorset.  Im following the space x you tube channel and will be outside at 9.50 to see if I can catch a glimpse 

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10399
    Saw ISS last night, starlink a couple of times last week and will be out tonight to watch the dragon 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4527
    Looks like bad weather is stopping play at the moment
    But the ship looks bloody cool
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    yer looking very iffy at the moment.

safety first I suppose.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Balls - but was awesome to watch the process in so much detail. Fingers crossed for Saturday. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5460
    The suits and the touchscreens... it doesn't look real!
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24265
    Fake news!  It's all being done in a secret hangar in Area 51.  They're not going into "space" - there is no such thing.  It's all lies man.  Wake up sheeple!
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    How can you social distance and organise a space launch?
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    Was watching the spaceX YouTube channel last night, shame it was delayed, but understandable. I love all the touchscreens and stuff, but a part of me misses all the knobs and buttons :)

Saw air force 1 flying over the rocket a couple of hours before launch, Trump flying in. Naturally if NASA or space force were doing the launch rather than Elon it would have gone off perfectly, the most bestest, terrific launch ever. Stupid Obama and his hurricanes. ;)

Looking forward to Saturday now! 
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1841
    Completely missed this was happening until about 6pm last night. Started aching the news channels and saw ISS go over about 9.30. Surprisingly good view considering it was still daylight. Would be great to be able to see the rocket chasing down the station from my back garden. Shame about the weather. Will be watching again on Saturday. 
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.