• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    Lovely!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2694
    How's it been, one week in @boogieman?
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    Loving it mate.  ;) Had a bit of a wobble when the A string started sitaring at the bridge, bearing in mind what you’d said about the trouble you’d had with the one you’d received. I was wondering what to do when my stepson came over and had a go on it and said it sounded a bit odd to him? The tuning had actually dropped a couple of steps, the bottom E was now a D, although bizarrely it was still in correct  tuning, string to string. Tuned it up to pitch and everything was immediately fine again. If anything it sounds even better after a week of playing it. 
  • cbellangacbellanga Frets: 572
    edited June 2020
    Have the same guitar, they're great! I've dropped the strings to elixir 11s so a bit easier to play.
    cbellanga said:
    Have the same guitar, they're great! I've dropped the strings to elixir 10s so a bit easier to play.
    10s? Wow they must feel like cotton. They come fitted with 12s as standard and those seem just right to me  
  • cbellangacbellanga Frets: 572
    edited June 2020
    Erm..actually 11s, just corrected it!
    Ah, not so bad then  :) 

I’m going to give a set of Martin Retro’s a go come restringing time. I see there’s quite a bit of love for them on a mahogany Martin. 
    boogieman said:
    Loving it mate.  ;) Had a bit of a wobble when the A string started sitaring at the bridge, bearing in mind what you’d said about the trouble you’d had with the one you’d received. I was wondering what to do when my stepson came over and had a go on it and said it sounded a bit odd to him? The tuning had actually dropped a couple of steps, the bottom E was now a D, although bizarrely it was still in correct  tuning, string to string. Tuned it up to pitch and everything was immediately fine again. If anything it sounds even better after a week of playing it. 
    New one just arrived today, no issues at all and Peach have been stellar, very pleased.

I just put up a video comparing it to a Santa Cruz OM just for the sake of it. I put fresh strings on both, Newtone heritage 51-12. The Martin seems to have a more pronounced midrange whilst the Santa Cruz is noticeably louder. Surprisingly, although many refer to the SC as being a 'lightly built instrument', the Martin is actually quite a bit lighter (some of it due to the mahogany, certainly, but light nonetheless. You can see in the photos below that Martin's standard of internal finish and scalloping compares well with Santa Cruz's.

Hard to say much about it in the first day but given that there are no OM-18 standards left in martin's lineup except for custom shop/authentic, I'd say this one is a sensible buy. It's a very easy to play instrument, fit and finish up there, choice of woods, nice top with very tight grain and silking (yours looks it too @boogieman).

I'll put some photos of mine up at some point when I can take them.

Nice job on the demo @danishbacon. Some sweet playing too. ;) Overall I think the Martin stands up really well against your Santa Cruz there... if anything I prefer the zing of the Martin’s top end. That’s what sold it to me in the Peach demo too.  

Glad to hear you got a better example this time around by the way. 
    boogieman said:
    Nice job on the demo @danishbacon. Some sweet playing too. ;) Overall I think the Martin stands up really well against your Santa Cruz there... if anything I prefer the zing of the Martin’s top end. That’s what sold it to me in the Peach demo too.  

Glad to hear you got a better example this time around by the way. 
    Cheers Larry. Agreed, the Martin does stand up very well to a more 'fully hand built' and voiced top instrument. What I can say is that they have two very distinct voices, and I think that's a good thing. Whilst the Martin feels like a much more well behaved instrument, the Santa Cruz has some pretty complex overtones which makes it a more difficult guitar to play well. You can hear how the overtones build up on the single note section.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StormshadowGuitarsStormshadowGuitars Frets: 1215
    tFB Trader
    Just got one delivered by them today, it's a beauty, well impressed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Loving mine, hope you enjoy yours as much.  ;)
  • StormshadowGuitarsStormshadowGuitars Frets: 1215
    tFB Trader
    boogieman said:
    Loving mine, hope you enjoy yours as much.  ;)
    Cheers :) So far very impressed, I might drop the action a tad and go 11's on it in time and probably a set of FU-Tone Ti or Brass Bridge Pins