Veillette Avante Gryphon

What's Hot
domforrdomforr Frets: 326
Hi, Anyone tried one of these? Not easy to get hold of in the UK it seems, but I'm very curious about the sort of mandolin/folk tones that can be produced. The Vintage Viator 12 looks in a similar (copied maybe?) ballpark, but I'm sure the build quality is some way off in comparison. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EpsilonEpsilon Frets: 615
    edited May 2020
    Not much to contribute I'm afraid other than to say that I've been looking for one for ages, so if you do find a UK dealer please let me know!

Tonally, the Veillette seems to be more in the mandolin camp whereas the Viator sounds a lot more like a 12 string guitar with a capo. I'm not sure that they're substitutes.
  • domforrdomforr Frets: 326
    Yes, true - although you can tune the viator up to terz tuning which will give it more of that feel. Both tuned unison though, which is unusual for 12 strings.
  • barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 623
    Ivor Mairants used to have them, and Mak from the shop, now set up on his own, still has a relationship with Veillette, so I'd give him a shout.

Also, from a man who knows his onions:

• barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 623
    Also used to good effect in this one:

edited May 2020
    The Monteverdi piece is brilliant! And rather humorous :-)
  • EpsilonEpsilon Frets: 615
    barnstorm said:
    Ivor Mairants used to have them, and Mak from the shop, now set up on his own, still has a relationship with Veillette, so I'd give him a shout.

Also, from a man who knows his onions:

Good shout. He has four listed on his site but they say they are "on order - due in Mid March". I can only assume supply chains have been disrupted somewhat in the current times but hopefully they'll appear at some point.
    Never heard of a bass Ukele before either - now I want one as well. Yes, I've emailed Maks guitars to see when they're back in. I suppose the chance of getting a second hand one are close to zero. 
  • rogdrogd Frets: 1513
    I have a Portuguese Viola da Braguesa. It just has 5 courses but has a similar sound. Portuguese tuning is not the same as guitar but with some experimentation with string guages you can tune it any way you like.
    Roger.
  • Chris_JChris_J Frets: 140
    I've got one! It's a lovely thing!

I picked mine up maybe 3 years ago from Ivor Mairants.

It's well made, stable, easy to play though quite neck heavy and I've heard better pickups, however, it sounds beautiful, especially if you play the open strings, and 1st and 2nd position for melodic and chordal stuff.

It's very much in the mandolin camp.

I keep mine tuned

C, G, C, F, G, C
    Thanks - it sounds like a great instrument for both playing and recording purposes. It seems you were lucky to find one when you did! 
    Yes I mostly play mine at the acoustic sessions in the pub, it's a nice alternative to yet another guitar as we sometimes end up with 6+ guitars, plus percussion, fiddle, leccy bass etc. It really uplifting when it comes in, it's also great for melodic solos too, plus that rhythmic chop you get from say a mandolin.

I've played it in my band too when we play folky and trad numbers. Sitting somewhere between mandolin, bouzouki and 12 string guitar.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11884
    I am very interested in these different register guitars

My issues is that I like to fingerpick, and that's hard with nails on double-course instruments

I don't like the idea of just strumming them much:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8PZu9Hayvg

to that end, I have a Tenor guitar, and Alto classical and a Fender Mando-strat

I'd advise anyone to consider their playing style before buying - if you play with a plectrum or skin, or know how to play a mandolin anyway, then one of these should be perfect
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11884
    edited May 2020
    For some people, I would instead recommend a Tenor guitar
    Since they are typically tuned in 5ths, you can get some really contrasting voicings

Richard Durrant used to play Bach on Tenor Banjo at his gigs
    I bought a tenor guitar, and after a gig, asked him if he would get one. He had been thinking about it, and commissioned one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbK8omPox-A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9rOtdmtzJ4
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6386
    I had a plink on a Veillette Gryphon a while back - it was ruddy marvellous !

Emerald do a diddy 12 string, and IIRC a lot cheaper than Veillette
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    Never heard of the Emerald before - not wild about the look, but it seems in a similar ball park. I actually play my 12 string with fingers more than pick and also play mandolin with both fingers and a pick so I don't think that would be a problem. 
    edited June 2020
    This just popped up on my Instagram and might be useful...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2ydoyferdpqp4ic/Screenshot_20200624-094212_Instagram.jpg?dl=0

Mak's guitars now have stock!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2020
    Link to dropbox now not showing for me... anyway, it was a photo of 4 lovely looking gryphons, in a choice of finishes. 3x 12 string and 1x 6 string.

The one on the left looks like my one :)
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    There was a competition I entered recently ( Premier Guitar?) to win one, never heard of them before that. Promoted as a 'session secret' - adding extra layers to a recording and there's a video with session guitarist Tim Pierce. I thought it sounds really pretty. 
    Anyway, if I win it I'll update you!  
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.