Does anyone *NOT* like valve amps?

What's Hot
Are there any people who don't like valve amps? Not a particular valve amp, but valve amps in general.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9713
    edited May 2020
    Overall I don't like the sound "in the room" as I prefer more of a "recorded sound" at a volume I can hear. I find that they are too loud for me to hear well. However a valve amp dummy loaded into a digital speaker and stuff is a nice compromise so I don't dislike them completely. 

Edit: with the caveat that I know I have no taste and my guitar recordings aren't very good
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 951
    I like them for the 'in the room' feel and the more buttery, liquid notes, the chime and the warmth. Not to mention the drive. Nothing beats them for those.  

But in general I use solid state clean amps because of what @thecolourbox says about a recorded sound at lower volumes - and I tend to use so many effects that I just need a good, straightforward clean tone with plenty of headroom. That, and other reasons such as maintenance, weight and cost for my current circumstances. 

When the kids are grown up I'll probably get another nice valve amp for the tone and use it generally without much in the way of pedals. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3200
    Is this a question that has been set to weed the forum of a non-valve loving demographic? ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I was just curious. It does seem like you often see people saying they dislike solid state or dislike digital modelling, but rarely do I see people flat out saying they don't like valve amps. It was a spur of the moment thought brought on by a Rhett Shull video.

Bye!

• vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    Liked the sound, hated the weight.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    That guy who makes Session amps - he’s not keen on them.
    3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2896
    edited May 2020
    Overall I don't like the sound "in the room" as I prefer more of a "recorded sound" at a volume I can hear. I find that they are too loud for me to hear well. However a valve amp dummy loaded into a digital speaker and stuff is a nice compromise so I don't dislike them completely. 
    I think I've been like this for a while too, at least when playing alone/unaccompanied. Love the sound of a well recorded amp (and the feel when playing), but after a little while of playing in the room I guess my ears get fatigued or something and it sounds fizzy and annoying to me. Don't find this as much when I'm playing with others, I guess the cymbals eat up the fizz a bit. I like the sound of it loaded down and through IRs and a bit of EQ. That said you still don't get the same feel as it in the room.
  • barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 628
    I was just curious. It does seem like you often see people saying they dislike solid state or dislike digital modelling, but rarely do I see people flat out saying they don't like valve amps.
    Plenty of people just grudgingly put up with them, though!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Love valve amps, gig with a Helix direct
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24265
    Indifferent really. Don’t care as long as it sounds good. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    edited May 2020
    Aren't there certain types of metallerswmetallers prefer solid state?
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14423
    Harry Seven, perhaps? He collects HH and Redmere like there is no tomorrow. Of Burman, he has just one.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    I suppose there's a difference between liking using valve amps and liking the sound valve amps make even in a once removed situation. So, if you like Award Session amps or use a Helix it's still roughly based on sounding like a valve amp. Even the 1970s artists who used solid state generally eventually went over to valves when they had the money/ roadies. 
    But there are artists who have based their sound around amps like the Roland Jazz Chorus - you'd get a lot more valve naysayers if this was a jazz or soukous guitar forum.
    I think for the noises I make if my valve amps were destroyed in a house fire I would probably replace them with solid state. Indeed I'd be tempted by a Jazz Chorus because that does do a thing valve doesn't do as well and then try to find ways to make that 'valve like ' when I wanted it. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • DontgiveupyourdayjobDontgiveupyourdayjob Frets: 3821
    edited May 2020
    I've generally liked the few valve amps that I've played through (which isn't many), but they have only ever been pretty brief experiences.

I've never actually owned a valve amp though. I've owned some cheapish solid state amps (Blackstar ID, Katana 50), and I've owned one expensive and bloody brilliant solid state amp (Blues Cube Artist) and never felt the need for anything else as I was happy with my sound. I live in a small 2 bed house with thin walls to my adjoining neighbours, so am conscious about making too much noise so always felt a decent valve amp would be pretty much unusable at home.

I now use an HX Stomp for both practice (95% of the time through headphones) and gigging with it through my FRFR and FoH. 

So no, I don't 'dislike' valve amps (although I hated the Blues Junior I played through at a jam night once), I just have no need of or desire for one at the minute.
  • JackobeanJackobean Frets: 667
    They're ridiculous, like so many things associated with guitar.
    A moribund technology for an increasingly irrelevant instrument.
    4reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24265
    Jackobean said:
    Death of Guitar was predicted in the 80s too when synth pop came along. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4778
    Jackobean said:
    How about a side of misery to go with the pessimism! Jeez, yes in popular music terms the guitar has gone back to being a support or back up instrument instead of at the forefront, but I'm not really a fan of popular music per se. Plenty of great bands out there still making awesome guitar music though, and a lot using valve amps. Having just gone back to valve amps, I think I'll be staying with them too.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• SidNewtonSidNewton Frets: 660
    Apparently my next door neighbour doesn't like them.
    18reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JackobeanJackobean Frets: 667
    edited May 2020
    Boromedic said:
    Jackobean said:
    How about a side of misery to go with the pessimism! Jeez, yes in popular music terms the guitar has gone back to being a support or back up instrument instead of at the forefront, but I'm not really a fan of popular music per se. Plenty of great bands out there still making awesome guitar music though, and a lot using valve amps. Having just gone back to valve amps, I think I'll be staying with them too.
    Hardly. I'm overjoyed the younger generations haven't fallen for the same brand of toxic nostalgia that pervades boomer culture. Aside from their inexplicable love of Friends...

No one needs more throwback 60's music played on exact replicas of 50's/60's gear.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4778
    edited May 2020
    Ah okay then..... I'll leave you with that thought, I'll carry on loving my toxic nostalgia.

Edit: I really like Friends too, but I remember when it was first on so it's not nostalgia.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.