Are manufacturers being sufficiently clear when detailing a product's capabilities & limitations?

What's Hot

Comments

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4722
    edited June 2020
    Out of interest have you asked line 6 about this.
    Yes, in fact the above information quoted was from Digital Igloo of Line 6 responding to discussions on the Gear Page, and this has also been discussed on the Line 6 forum. 

The key theme here is that with the ever increasing evolvement of technology in products,  I think the industry as a whole needs to consider whether it could possibly be doing a bit more to help its customers better understand key aspects of their products that may not necessarily be as clear as they could be.

It's only because I'm looking to buy a Line 6 Pod Go that I've researched it to better understand it's capabilities and limitations.  I could just as easily have been looking at a different product from a different manufacturer.  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12886
    Going to be brutally honest here.

I'm a nerd. I have a science background. I actually know quite a lot about DSP. But I gave up halfway through that mammoth essay because I just couldn't bring myself to care.

And that's pretty much exactly why I think people who just want a plug in and play solution (the target market for the Go) aren't, on the whole, going to be that bothered about this. They'll plug it in and they'll see if it works. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2020

I'm a nerd. I have a science background. I actually know quite a lot about DSP. But I gave up halfway through that mammoth essay because I just couldn't bring myself to care.

And that's pretty much exactly why I think people who just want a plug in and play solution (the target market for the Go) aren't, on the whole, going to be that bothered about this. They'll plug it in and they'll see if it works. 

You think not? You are sooo wrong - check out the Helix Stomp discussion section on the Line 6 forum. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    I caveat this opinion in that I do not know all the facts so there is a fair bit of guesswork. 

Back in the original Line 6 Pod days (when I was interested) there was heated debate that Line 6 was cheaping people out not using best in class DSP even when there were only a few dollars increase in component cost. When they finally moved on to POD HD range there were, even more, screams about the lower-spec units being underpowered 300 400 from memory 

Helix has been a great success and has revamped Line 6's slightly tarnished image under Yamaha. 

So these days looking in I sort of think that either line 6's software aspirations exceed the hardware's ability to deliver. 
    So never buy the more budget-friendly version as it has had serious hardware cuts to make the price point.

Or their business model is and has always been to keep hardware costs as low as possible and market the hell out of an under the specced device.

As @Voxman ;
    has said there is little to tell the consumer what they are going to get in the real world or easy way to find out if a piece of electronics is going to crap out on DSP power. Other than basic consumer law and distant selling directives etc. 

• SnagsSnags Frets: 5368
    I have to say, having just watched a POD Go video, if I didn't already have an HX FX I'd just get one without thinking for my needs. In fact I'm almost tempted to get one and chop in the HXFX.
  • Voxman said:

You think not? You are sooo wrong - check out the Helix Stomp discussion section on the Line 6 forum. 
    Yeah but that's a self selecting sample.

Forum - nerdery. Check.
    Internet - nerdery. Check.
    Forum for guitar gear - nerdery. Check.

The people rocking up to Guitar Center looking for something to plug their tele's into .... not so much.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • I caveat this opinion in that I do not know all the facts so there is a fair bit of guesswork. 

Back in the original Line 6 Pod days (when I was interested) there was heated debate that Line 6 was cheaping people out not using best in class DSP even when there were only a few dollars increase in component cost. When they finally moved on to POD HD range there were, even more, screams about the lower-spec units being underpowered 300 400 from memory 

Helix has been a great success and has revamped Line 6's slightly tarnished image under Yamaha. 

So these days looking in I sort of think that either line 6's software aspirations exceed the hardware's ability to deliver. 
    So never buy the more budget-friendly version as it has had serious hardware cuts to make the price point.

Or their business model is and has always been to keep hardware costs as low as possible and market the hell out of an under the specced device.

As @Voxman ;
    has said there is little to tell the consumer what they are going to get in the real world or easy way to find out if a piece of electronics is going to crap out on DSP power. Other than basic consumer law and distant selling directives etc. 

It's sensible to bring your hardware costs as low as possible whilst remaining within the quality and capability bracket that you've chosen for a product.

A single component can send the BOM (bill of materials) sky-rocketing, even when ordering components in bulk, so you have to be very careful about adding the next level of quality component to the hardware spec.

You don't always need top-shelf components. On paper they're better, but in the real world application of them there might be a .1% difference in performance between a $1 component and a $5 component. In such a situation you go with the cheaper component because it brings the cost of the entire unit down by a fair margin, whilst keeping quality within tolerance.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Voxman said:

Like Drew says, though, thats a self selecting crowd who are already way more nerdy than Joe and Josephine Average guitar players. 

Guitar forums hate the Line6 Spider. Its pretty much a meme. But Line6 have sold over a million of them.  Guitar forums tend to think that they represent "what musicians want" but in reality we are a tiny drop in the ocean of users. 
  • It's a big danger in product development - catering to the loudest niche online and neglecting your silent customer base. It's why you want to poll forums and social media, as well as mailing lists, as well as bringing people in for user testing and focus groups. But then you add a layer onto that which is - in a nutshell - what do we as a company/team want to build? because that matters too.

Then you have to analyse all that data and figure out a direction to head in.

There's a very cool book called The Mom Test which goes into the best ways to make product level decisions like this. When it comes to DSP usage, I think Line6 have done all they realistically can without muddying the waters any further. For instance, I have a DD-500... no idea what DSP usage or quality levels of any of the algorithms are... no idea whether something is a 10 year old algorithm or something newly developed, etc.

With the Helix, you know that X effects are legacy effects from yesteryear, and Y effects are brand spanking new for the HX platform... that's just one example of where we have information to make an informed purchasing decision.

I do wonder if this thread is really about the fact that the Pod Go doesn't fulfill your needs @Voxman - maybe you're a Helix LT guy?

Bye!

It's sensible to bring your hardware costs as low as possible whilst remaining within the quality and capability bracket that you've chosen for a product.

A single component can send the BOM (bill of materials) sky-rocketing, even when ordering components in bulk, so you have to be very careful about adding the next level of quality component to the hardware spec.

You don't always need top-shelf components. On paper they're better, but in the real world application of them there might be a .1% difference in performance between a $1 component and a $5 component. In such a situation you go with the cheaper component because it brings the cost of the entire unit down by a fair margin, whilst keeping quality within tolerance.
    This is a really good point. Also worth remembering that as you climb up the ladder in terms of processing power your devices will typically consume more power and require more heat dissipation. That can have a knock on effect to the other components, to the board layouts, to the size of the unit, etc.  Devices that run hotter may ultimately have shorter lifetimes, so you really don't want to do that unless its 100% necessary. 

Its really easy to say "line6 cheaped out on the hardware" but a lot harder in reality to just switch out hardware like that. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2020
    I agree with all of this guys, but I'm not asking for Pod Go to be better or complaining about the DSP or sayng it needs a bigger chip etc. Line 6's absolute No1 immovable priority was to design the best bang for buck they could, within a specific price point and even though I don't yet have a Pod Go, from everything I've seen & heard I think they've done a cracking job and Pod Go's a winner - and I want one!  

My concern is simply that in my view sufficient balanced and basic product information is not being provided to the consumer.  I'm not talking techy stuff but just some simple explanation so that users can better understand in broad terms where Line 6 is coming from, that it's aim was to give users as much choice as possible but that there is some unavoidable quid pro quo in that by including some of the more DSP hungry models (including the amps/preamps), if you choose and combine these, the less blocks you might have access to.  And then to give some simple steer with a little asterisk (which they can caveat, eg may change etc) on the models in the list flagging those that are particularly DSP heavy (eg anything over roughly 30% or whatever). Buyers wouldn't then be surprised/puzzled by seeing grey outs.  Hell, it could be positioned as a positive ie rather than withhold models to ensure you could always have 4 blocks, we wanted to put you in the driving seat to choose what you want from everything that Helix has.    

I simply cannot understand why ANYONE, newbie, experienced, techy, non-techy would think that's unreasonable?  And I will not be moved on this view because it is fundamental to the principal of 'treating customers fairly'. 

Don't misunderstand that expression - in this context it simply means what I've explained - giving customers sufficient basic information in a balanced clear way to help them better understand what they are buying & to help them make an informed decision. 

Be under no illusions - at some time in the future the disclosure requirements on manufacturers in the music industry is going to tighten up, either through consumer pressure, consumer groups, local authorities, trade bodies, Government bodies, legislation etc. 

For some years now we've been seeing greater disclosure on motor vehicle fuel consumption, tighter controls on how loadspace and 0-60 times are measured, horsepower etc that all have to meet tighter standards with the same method of calculating and disclosing this, and on white goods electricity consumption, water usage, capacities, spin speeds, drying times etc.  Not just environmental but how goods functions and capabilities have to be disclosed.  And there were the same arguments on all of these that its too much info for consumers and they don't need to know it, and its just for nerds - "look at all the great things we've built into our cars and dishwashers at a great price, and we give top customer service so how can you say we're not 'treating customers fairly?' ". 

But it has all changed, and it is still evolving.  Regulation only kicks in where an industry doesn't adequately regulate itself.  Musical Equipment manufacturers are an industry like any other and are not immune.  They, like all industries, need to honestly have a serious think and ask and answer 'Are we really doing (proportionately) as much here as perhaps we could be doing?  Yes, we might be very good in all sorts of areas - but could & should we be doing a bit better here, especially if we're an industry leader? 

Anyway, enough, this topic has gone on long enough - you're not going to change my mind and I'm not going to change yours.  Nothing wrong with that, no one's falling out with anyone, and each of us is entitled to their views and a key purpose of these boards is to facilitate reasonable discussion.

But, and hopefully all of us and the Fretboard will still be around, it might be interesting to look back on this thread in 5-10 years time to see what might have changed!   
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17598
    tFB Trader
    You are overthinking, pouring over manuals and such whereas I have one.

The following happened:
    1. I was editing a patch on my Helix and one of the FX I wanted was greyed out.
    2. I thought "That's weird"
    3. I looked in the manual where it said if I'd used up all the DSP some FX might be greyed out
    4. I got on with my life
    At no point did I start a class action law suit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2020

The following happened:
    3. I looked in the manual where it said if I'd used up all the DSP some FX might be greyed out
    4. I got on with my life
    That's great, and that's you. But everyone is different - and I haven't started a class action LOL. Helix by definition is aimed at more sophisticated users.  Pod Go is aimed at the newbie 'entry level'.  It's not even the DSP limit, greying out that's an issue - it's the lack of clarity that amp/preamp selection impacts on this when it's described as a 'fixed' block (something not in Helix, and which is unique to Pod Go). And you keep missing the point - the whole point is to better understand this whilst I am pouring over manuals and before I buy! 

As I said, we'll just have to agree to disagree on this. 
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1655
    Voxman said:

The following happened:
    4. I got on with my life
    That's great, and that's you. But everyone is different (and I haven't started a class action). Helix by definition is aimed at more sophisticated users.  Pod Go is aimed at the newbie 'entry level' yet there's no mention of DSP in the Pod Go manual. 

As I said, we'll have to agree to disagree on this. 

Yes there is.. Page 10
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

Voxman said:

The following happened:
    4. I got on with my life
    That's great, and that's you. But everyone is different (and I haven't started a class action). Helix by definition is aimed at more sophisticated users.  Pod Go is aimed at the newbie 'entry level' yet there's no mention of DSP in the Pod Go manual. 

As I said, we'll have to agree to disagree on this. 
    Pod Go is aimed at the newbie 'entry level' yet there's which is exactly the reason why there's no mention of DSP in the Pod Go manual.

You're right that we're going to have to agree to disagree on this but I think its fairly clear to the rest of us that you are absolutely not a typical user. And that's cool, but be aware of it at least. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I changed that already
     You're right that we're going to have to agree to disagree on this but I think its fairly clear to the rest of us that you are absolutely not a typical user consumer. And that's cool, but be aware of it at least. 
    FTFY - as I'm not a user yet. You may be right - let's see what the future brings. 
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3392
    edited June 2020
    Voxman said:
    Amplifier has dual DSP, Pod Go only has a single DSP.

But there are different chip ratings and the processing in Atomic Amplifier uses quite powerful chips. So it can cope with a fair chunk of processing.
    Interesting. I did not know that!
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    edited June 2020
    Voxman said:

Be under no illusions - at some time in the future the disclosure requirements on manufacturers in the music industry is going to tighten up, either through consumer pressure, consumer groups, local authorities, trade bodies, Government bodies, legislation etc. 

I still can't work out if this thread is really just an elaborate exercising in trolling or not but that paragraph doesn't do anything to persuade me it isn't.  The suggestion that international legislation is required and even inevitable so that purchasers can benchmark Fractal vs Kemper vs Helix processor performance is frankly absurd. 

My perception from the large number of reviews, forum postings etc is that the major factors that influence purchasers of these systems are price, sound preference and ease of use.  Whilst there may be people who have found Helix unusable because they keep running out of DSP when building presets, I simply don't believe there are many.  As was posted earlier, elements grey out sometimes so you figure out a way round it.  If it really is such a big deal then buy a different product which constrains maximum DSP loading in a way that is more to your liking.
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
    edited June 2020
    siremoon said:
    Voxman said:

I still can't work out if this thread is really just an elaborate exercising in trolling or not but that paragraph doesn't do anything to persuade me it isn't. 

I've never trolled in my life.  - If nothing else please re-read my post of 4 June and try to put yourself in the position of a potential buyer that doesn't go on forums, is lesser experienced, who may not have had an MFX before or perhaps only 'static DSP' versions, and where they are getting their information from the manual and Line 6 videos or what their store might (or might not) tell them. 

The suggestion that international legislation is required and even inevitable so that purchasers can benchmark Fractal vs Kemper vs Helix processor performance is frankly absurd. 

I never said international legislation. You've added 2 plus 2 to make 5 and added your own spin - that's not what I said. I said 'tighten up' and referred to 'either'.  

My perception from the large number of reviews, forum postings etc is that the major factors that influence purchasers of these systems are price, sound preference and ease of use

Agreed, particularly ease of use.

Whilst there may be people who have found Helix unusable because they keep running out of DSP when building presets, I simply don't believe there are many. 

Helix is an entirely different animal. It has Dual DSP , is very powerful, and can even cope with up to 3-4 amp/cab models, so grey outs will be less usual & probably only encountered by 'power' users who are creating more complex patches.  Pod Go is intended to be simple & has 'fixed' blocks which is a unique feature.  By comparison, models take up a disproportionate chunk of DSP space in Pod Go - ie it has a smaller container to put things in and will get full more quickly.  The part that has been less than clear is that although amp/preamps are in the fixed block, their DSP is not 'reserved' as for all the other things in the fixed block, but use dynamic DSP that is shared with flexible blocks.  As explained by Line 6 themselves, there are actually 3 types of block. This doesn't come across clearly in the manual or in the official Line 6 videos.  I'm simply suggesting this ought to be clearer. 

As was posted earlier, elements grey out sometimes so you figure out a way round it. 

No problem with that. But would users initially have realised before buying that it's their selection of amp model, that they may have thought was 'fixed/reserved' that could be triggering the grey outs?  They might play around with the 4 flexible blocks and get frustrated if they weren't aware of this.  That could impact on 'ease of use' that you quite rightly highlighted as being of key importance.

If it really is such a big deal then buy a different product which constrains maximum DSP loading in a way that is more to your liking.

It's great to see folk posting to discuss topics, irrespective of whether they agree or disagree with any premise. But I would ask that folk do please read the thread/posts carefully before doing so. It is not acceptable to imply anyone is trolling, or make 'questionable' comments, when it's clear (regardless of your personal opinion on the theme) that the OP (in this case me) has clearly spent considerable effort & time looking into and considering this. My very first line in yesterdays post was: "I agree with all of this guys, but I'm not asking for Pod Go to be better or complaining about the DSP or saying it needs a bigger chip etc. Line 6's absolute No1 immovable priority was to design the best bang for buck they could, within a specific price point and even though I don't yet have a Pod Go, from everything I've seen & heard I think they've done a cracking job and Pod Go's a winner - and I want one!"

I've only learned how Pod Go uses its DSP through quite a bit of investigation and further information subsequently provided by Line 6.  I'm now much more comfortable with what I can likely expect from Pod Go - not just all the good stuff (of which there is tons) but also what I need to understand when using it. All I'm suggesting is that this journey would and should have been a little easier had the 3 rather than 2 block types theme been explained a little more clearly.  I've no problem whatsoever with how Pod Go fundamentally works, merely that it could have been explained a little more clearly to aid user understanding. 

As I've already said I simply don't understand why there seems to be so much resistance here to such a simple theme.   But I accept we're each entitled to our own views and perspectives and I'm most certainly not here to fall out with or have a slanging match with any of the good folk here. All I ask please is that folk discuss the overall theme sensibly, fairly and objectively and that this is reflected in their posts.