0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24165
    Helix Stomp.

Loads of Marshall models in it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72204
    Marshall GV-2.

Not kidding... if you can't get a sound like a classic or modern Marshall out of it you're doing something wrong. The 'Deep' control is perfect for simulating the thump of a 4x12".

If someone took the circuit and built it in a fancy box with six full-size knobs, true bypass, a silly name and a $300 price tag it would be the must-have MIAB pedal to end all of them.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6677
    Barber Gain Changer SR. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2891
    edited June 2020
    ICBM said:
    Marshall GV-2.

Not kidding... if you can't get a sound like a classic or modern Marshall out of it you're doing something wrong. The 'Deep' control is perfect for simulating the thump of a 4x12".

If someone took the circuit and built it in a fancy box with six full-size knobs, true bypass, a silly name and a $300 price tag it would be the must-have MIAB pedal to end all of them.
    Agreed, it's a great pedal and can be had for about £20! I've managed to get one sounding almost the same as the lead channel of my Jubilee, but it can do more than the 80s rock thing too.

On the more boutique side of things I'd be looking at an MI Audio Super Crunchbox V2. It has a full EQ with presence, lo/hi gain switch and a compression switch. I had the original pre-super version and it was really good, this must be even better. They're only around £100 too which isn't bad for a booteek pedal!
  • mark_jwedgemark_jwedge Frets: 318
    Origin revival drive 
    Petty John Gold
    Thorpy’s new Bunker pedal 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26871
    Origin revival drive 
    Petty John Gold
    Thorpy’s new Bunker pedal 
    Definitely on the Origin. Haven't tried the other two, but the Thorpy Bunker does sound rather marvellous.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15954
    edited June 2020
    ICBM said:
    Marshall GV-2.

Are there any modern builder faithful clones of this one?

John, is it the GV2 plus?
    tae be or not tae be
  • skayskay Frets: 392
    ICBM said:
    Marshall GV-2.

Had one. Too fizzy and fake- Marshall for me. Sold it. Much happier. 

Ymmv

With so many comparison web sites out there, how do I choose the best one?

• andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2197
    Joyo British Sound

Cheap, but actually does a great job of lots of Marshall flavours.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9505
    There are some very good ones mentioned, but the King is the Origin Revival Drive imho.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17552
    tFB Trader
    The Super Badass is amazing for something that isn't stupid expensive.
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1369
    zvex distortron
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1619
    Defo the Revival Drive. Also the Weehbo range, probably the JCM Ltd 

• JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    edited June 2020
    Bogner  La Grange  no1 imho  

notable mentions based on experience -  Carl Martin Plexitone ( small box) Pete Thorn voiced  and  JRockett Animal v1 with Snarl switch - plexi and  jcm modes 

both demos approx 2016  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WpaOAh2l4I    long watch but worth the wait for Doug Rappaport

and of course Mr Thorn weighs in with a review thats worthy of a watch .. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aFPTe6IV9U

• vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3667
    Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret Mk II. I tried the MkIII and it didn't quite do it for me. The MkII is brilliant.
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2189
    Gurus 1959 Double Decker covers a lot of Marshall based tones 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72204
    Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret Mk II. I tried the MkIII and it didn't quite do it for me. The MkII is brilliant.
    I don’t know which one it was I tried, but it didn’t sound like a Marshall. It *did* sound almost exactly like a Laney Supergroup... there’s a distinctive grit to it which sounds very like early Black Sabbath.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 663
    skay said:
    ICBM said:
    Marshall GV-2.

Had one. Too fizzy and fake- Marshall for me. Sold it. Much happier. 

Ymmv
    There’s a mod for the pedal that removes a lot of the fizziness. Sure it’s called the C22 mod. I’ve got a standard version and nodded and the difference is quite noticeable. 

However on both pedals I’ve struggled to get a good sound running it at lower gain settings. Mid to high gain settings it sounds insanely good.

My current go-to is the revival drive though!
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4679

I’ve never tried one but on looks alone I’ve always fancied a Marvel Ramble Drive.

Guv’nor’s are pretty good.
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1057
    Depends on the marshall sound you're after. I liked the marvel drive, but it was definitely more 80s sounding than the plexi style i prefer