who do you think are the musical geniuses?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28336
Personally I wouldn't count amazing players like Gilmour. to me he is an exceptional guitarist, but I wouldn't put him in a 'genius' bracket. Others will probably disagree.

For me, the best candidates are those who were on a different level in terms of what they composed, and for me there are two that spring to mind - Allan Holdsworth and Frank Zappa. 

I still don't think that the world has fully grasped what Allan was doing, and how he played and thought. It's fairly common for a great many internet players to have amazing technique these days, but you don't really see anyone getting to grips with the way Holdsworth played. It seems like a different level of the mind to me, and that is much harder to grasp than learning to play a lot of notes fast.

Zappa as well seemed to thrive on weird compositions that were far off the beaten track. Once again, no-one seems to have come along and managed to mimic his style or take it further.

That's my 2c

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3065
    Townshend.   

Not the greatest guitarist but the songs, music, lyrics and melodies that he’s written over the past fifty five odd years, take some beating.  
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14423
    edited June 2020
    Frank Zappa compositions are only “weird” in the sense that he did not restrict himself to the expected norms of Rock, Blues, Jazz, Pop or Classical music. 

It is unsurprising that fans of Rock music do not appreciate the Stravinski and Varèse influences.

Listeners unfamiliar with Miles Davis’ album, Bitches Brew, will not spot the sly quotations or parodies of it on One Size Fits All.

Self-evidently, some of the guitarists whom FZ employed are capable of performing the music. Little Stevie Vai is the obvious case in point. Dweezil does a pretty good job of recreating the recorded works. What he does not always manage is the improvisational stuff.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    Becker and Fagen
    Eddie Van Halen
    Bjorn and Benny
    Jellyfish
    Neil Finn

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4914
    Mozart. 

George Gershwin.

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361
    Robert Fripp
    Adrian Belew
    John McLaughlin 
    Hendrix

All massive innovators and true geniuses. 
  • markblackmarkblack Frets: 1591
    Genius might be too strong. But Damon Albarn i think produces amazing work, from Blur, gorillaz, Mali music, monkey, good the bad and the Queen etc. Some amazing songs in so many styles. I don't like it all, but it always feels interesting.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7768
    Allan Holdsworth 
    Django
    Pat Metheny 
    Keith Jarrett
    Edgar Meyer
    Tony Levin

There are many many brilliant jazz musicians
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31579
    I tend to apply the phrase to musicians whose grasp of composition is unmatched, and then I re-listen to Who Knows from Band of Gypsys in a darkened room and hear someone channelling something from somewhere else entirely.

So yeah, that. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12312
    Lee "Scratch" Perry
    Beefheart
    Zappa
    John Coltrane
    Miles Davis
    David Axelrod
    Daniel Johnston
    Prince
    Beck

Could go on and on really, they were just the first that sprang to mind .All subjective I know but for me, genius is defined by ripping up the rulebook and doing what you were put here to do, I mean you could never imagine Prince working at Poundland eh?  even if I don't necessarily like it myself

"OUR TOSSPOT"
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    Beethoven

There have been other musical geniuses, but I don’t know of any others who wrote their greatest work when they were completely deaf.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ronnybronnyb Frets: 1747
    Ray Davies.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    Lennon and McCartney.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14219
    tFB Trader
    I watched the BBC2 show on Sat night about Ella - And someone made a comment that was effectively 'many can sing but they don't all have that magic' - It will apply to various musicians be they play guitar, sing or write

Burt Bacharach can barely play the piano but what a song writer - Porter, Berlin and Gershwin are considered 3 of the greatest song writers, I haven't got my memory notes with me now but I recall one of them can barely play
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    Chopin.
    Marcus Miller
    Eric Roche
    Ennio Morricone
    Karl Jenkins
    Jonny Cash
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• racefaceec90racefaceec90 Frets: 996
    nels cline
     guthrie govan
    h j freaks 
    michael manring
    kate bush
    prince
    allan holdsworth

apologies that some already mentioned 

i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

• MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3654
    Porter, Berlin and Gershwin are considered 3 of the greatest song writers, I haven't got my memory notes with me now but I recall one of them can barely play
    It was Berlin

I remember watching a documentary about him.  He could only play in one key and he had a piano whereby he could change key with a lever.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    Various classical composers:

Beethoven
    Mozart
    Tchaikovsky  (did I spell that right)

Plus a bunch of others I don't know because of my poor knowledge of classical music

In more recent times:

Mark Knopfler
    Freddie Mercury
    Willie Nelson
    Lennon and McCartney
    Jimi Hendrix
    Neal Morse
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16091
    ICBM said:
    Beethoven

There have been other musical geniuses, but I don’t know of any others who wrote their greatest work when they were completely deaf.
    You beat me to it........Favourite Composer by far 
    Might I also add Cole Porter 
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7162
    amazed Brian Wilson hasnt yet been mentioned.

Brian Wilson.
    Kate Bush.
    Johnny Marr.
    Paul Epworth.
    Frank Black.
    Vince Clarke.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2409
    edited June 2020
    ICBM said:
    Beethoven

Wis' awarded. I'd also add Bach. I came to understand his genius when learning some of his pieces. Seriously, there's not a wasted note and every one of them is perfect. His work is magical.

George Benson and Joe Pass for jazz. Benson turned out not only to be one of the greatest jazz guitarists but also one of the greatest singers. As for Pass, his ability is unrivalled.

Metal wise, I'd have to say Dimebag. He had a certain something that no-one else has created. Brutal riffs and beautiful solos. His ability to play was effortless and soulful, the latter of which is an unlikely term to be associated with the genre.