who do you think are the musical geniuses?

What's Hot

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33783
    In the last 100 years or so:

Zappa
    Coltrane
    Miles
    Cage
    Stravinsky
    Schoenberg
    Glass
    Boulez
    Stockhausen
    Gershwin.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2932
    yeah Zappa definitely, there's a video of Ruth Underwood talking about him, can't remember where, explaining the stuff that set him apart.

The more I get into Vin Garbutt the more I see genius.

From my own particular genre of interest (Canterbury scene) Robert Wyatt and Alan Gowan.

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14186
    tFB Trader
    Musicwolf said:
    Porter, Berlin and Gershwin are considered 3 of the greatest song writers, I haven't got my memory notes with me now but I recall one of them can barely play
    It was Berlin

I remember watching a documentary about him.  He could only play in one key and he had a piano whereby he could change key with a lever.

Thanks - I knew it was one of them - This is were my dad would have come into play and would have known instantly 
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7282
    RobDavies said:
    Townshend.   

Which one?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7155
    RobDavies said:
    Townshend.   

Which one?
    I imagine its the one with the booming trade in "online research".

Where's this book then Pete?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    RobDavies said:
    Townshend.   

Which one?
    He means Pete, I think.
    I'd argue that Devin is more deserving.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    octatonic said:
    RobDavies said:
    Townshend.   

Which one?
    He means Pete, I think.
    Likewise but I was wondering how much of that is actually just the way he presents himself..although he is ridiculously prolific.

What's the opinion on Jacob Collier? Watching him talk about music is fascinating but I cant make it more than a couple of minutes into any of his actual songs. To me its kind of like the equivilent the chemical engineer who develops better dulux trying to paint the Sistine chapel. He has a ridiculously rich understanding of the relationship between tones but no actual sense of aesthetic. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    octatonic said:
    RobDavies said:
    Townshend.   

Which one?
    He means Pete, I think.
    Likewise but I was wondering how much of that is actually just the way he presents himself..although he is ridiculously prolific.

What's the opinion on Jacob Collier? Watching him talk about music is fascinating but I cant make it more than a couple of minutes into any of his actual songs. To me its kind of like the equivilent the chemical engineer who develops better dulux trying to paint the Sistine chapel. He has a ridiculously rich understanding of the relationship between tones but no actual sense of aesthetic. 
    Collier- he's clearly an impressive musician but I am not particularly into it as music to listen to for pleasure.

20 years ago it might have been more a thing I'd want to listen to because at that time I was interested in music that demonstrates virtuosity above pretty much everything else.
    I'm just not so much into that now.
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    I think genius is an over-used term. Most people are re-hashing techniques and compositions from years ago. I guess the true geniuses are people whose music you don't necessarily enjoy. I'm pretty sure Scott Walker was a genius, but I'm buggered if I can listen to much of his more recent output. Someone with dexterity, application, knowledge, and taste is not someone I would consider a genius.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    I think genius is an over-used term. Most people are re-hashing techniques and compositions from years ago. I guess the true geniuses are people whose music you don't necessarily enjoy. I'm pretty sure Scott Walker was a genius, but I'm buggered if I can listen to much of his more recent output. Someone with dexterity, application, knowledge, and taste is not someone I would consider a genius.
    I can understand that. I don't think music is something to be "solved" analytically* and I think a close match to someones personal taste is far more important than the kind of properties you would normally associate with "genius".

Incidentally for me I wouldn't necessarily equate virtuosity with genius, I'd view it as more removed from the physical capability with an instrument. 

What about artists who's genius isn't actually directly related to the music. David Bowie's reinvention and use of image for example obviously emulated and further refined by the like of Marilyn Manson? Certainly I'd consider that part of Bowie's work more noteworthy than his music (which largely I do also like).

*If that is not true then why is computer generated music a huge pile of balls generally?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Taking the definition of Genius literally:

Bruce Dickinson
    Singer of Iron Maiden
    Professional airline pilot
    Highly ranked fencer
    His reported IQ is apparently 167. 

Greg Graffin of Bad Religion is a Professor at UC Davis. I've read lots of his scientific publications & never drew the connection until I read his autobiography! 

Dexter from the Offspring achieved a PhD in Molecular Biology for research on HIV and is also an airline pilot. 

Brian May & Brian Cox are other obvious examples. 
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1435
    Taking the definition of Genius literally:

Bruce Dickinson
    Singer of Iron Maiden
    Highly ranked fencer

Greg Graffin of Bad Religion is a Professor at UC Davis. I've read lots of his scientific publications & never drew the connection until I read his autobiography! 

Dexter from the Offspring achieved a PhD in Molecular Biology for research on HIV and is also an airline pilot. 

As an ex-airline transport pilot licence holder, I am proof that being an airline pilot doesn't require genius!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @Dodge I bow to your experience. 
    Funnily enough, I've spent my entire professional life working with folk with PhDs. Genius is common, common sense less so! ;-)
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    Trent Reznor - the variety and depth of his recordings from brutal industrial noise right through metal, electro, ambient to amazing soundtracks show a level of musical ability that is hard to match IMO, in terms of modern recording artists.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3582
    There are many great composers and musicians, many who were shooting stars and a very few who remaine(d) prolific throughout thier long lives. In recent times that has to include but not restricted to:

Macca
    Nile Rogers
    Prince
    Elton John

Of course many who joined the '27' club or similar couldn't claim that badge, and others have written/played some fantastic material over the years, it's just a rare thing to do it into pension age having started as a teenager.

Commercial success has to be considerred as a measure too, if few people appreciate it are you doing it right? Eric Clapton for example has had a long distinguished career and even written some great songs, but musical genius is not a monica I would bestow on him.

Without criteria we all just tend to list our favourite musicians. There are some great names listed above.

Bowie would have to be in there too.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11289
    Stevie Wonder
    Ray Charles
    Les Paul
    Leo Fender
    Jimi Hendrix

I think that genius goes beyond innovation and leaves things very different afterwards.
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    Taking the definition of Genius literally:

Bruce Dickinson
    Singer of Iron Maiden
    Highly ranked fencer

Proof, if proof be need be, that you can be a genius AND shit at music. ;)
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    Brian Eno
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4978

In in that case I add Enya.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom