who do you think are the musical geniuses?

What's Hot

Comments

• PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 941
    Tony Iommi
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4308
    DJ Shadow
    Aphex Twin

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2591
    For me:

Miles Davis
    Lennon/McCartney
    Igor Stravinsky
    Claude Debussy
    Frank Sinatra

“To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3493
    edited June 2020
    CHRISB50 said:
    DJ Shadow
    Aphex Twin
    DJ Shadow - I've never seen an artist slide in quality as much as him. The gap between the Private Press and the Outsider is incredible. His first few albums/EP's were out of this world (I include the first Unkle one as well)

I'm a huge AFX fan, I can understand how many aren't but I think he's own league. Even when he's not really at his best eg Analord he's still really ahead of everyone else, IMO the importance of Analord can't be understated - it kind of brought back a huge amount of interest in analogue synths at a time of Reason, Ableton and VST's (nothing wrong with them in the slightest bit though)
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4308
    CHRISB50 said:
    DJ Shadow
    Aphex Twin
    DJ Shadow for the first few albums.

I've never seen an artist slide in quality as much as him. The gap between the Private Press and the Outsider is incredible. His first few albums/EP's were out of this world (I include the first Unkle one as well)
    Yep. I have to agree to an extent. Although Mountain Will Fall was a recent return to form. 

Psyence Fiction gets forgotten about a bit as I guess it was under the UNKLE name, but it’s right up there, as you said. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

octatonic said:
    In the last 100 years or so:

Zappa
    Coltrane
    Miles
    Cage
    Stravinsky
    Schoenberg
    Glass
    Boulez
    Stockhausen
    Gershwin.
    No Steve Reich in that list?
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 942
    edited June 2020
    Actual geniuses, in terms of natural inherent musicianship, or technical ability within the studio...

Brian Eno (amazing at making so much from so little. gets the best out of everyone he works with. studio wizard)
    Trent Reznor (Great producer)
    Jimmy Page pre-77 (The archetypal rock musician) 
    Miles Davis (ok he had some amazing musicians accompanying him but he was still a monster trumpet/horn player with a great ear) 
    Hendrix (totally natural guitar player - not all flash as is portrayed but a great songwriter as well)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    edited June 2020
    What about:

Mutt Lange
    Jim Morrison
    John WIlliams

Two of them based on obvious success and talent. OK, all three actually.
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5844
    I'll add the Gibb Brothers to the list
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    octatonic said:
    In the last 100 years or so:

Zappa
    Coltrane
    Miles
    Cage
    Stravinsky
    Schoenberg
    Glass
    Boulez
    Stockhausen
    Gershwin.
    No Steve Reich in that list?
    He didn't immediately come to mind but yes him too.
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Dodge said:
    Taking the definition of Genius literally:

Bruce Dickinson
    Singer of Iron Maiden
    Professional airline pilot
    Highly ranked fencer
    His reported IQ is apparently 167. 

Greg Graffin of Bad Religion is a Professor at UC Davis. I've read lots of his scientific publications & never drew the connection until I read his autobiography! 

Dexter from the Offspring achieved a PhD in Molecular Biology for research on HIV and is also an airline pilot. 

Brian May & Brian Cox are other obvious examples. 

As an ex-airline transport pilot licence holder, I am proof that being an airline pilot doesn't require genius!
    But when one rolls a number of things together, there's something that stands out. But maybe that's confusing genius with talent? Having read Bruce Dickinson's autobiography, I would suggest his life's success is a mixture of talent and opportunity, and getting stuck in to non-music based adventures & pursuits. Does that make him a genius? But if one strips away the fencing and the piloting, "musically" he's just a lucky guy who sang & wrote songs for a famous rock band. Plus some producer credits along the way. Lot's of those kind of people around. E.g. Robert Plant, Bob Dylan, Neil Young. Would I call Bruce a "musical" genius? No, but he's definitely something.

My immediate thought for a musical genius would be Frank Zappa - as did a few others. He wrote, he composed, he played some corking guitar, he sang (sort of). And he constantly reinvented his band to perform some of the greatest rock/jazz music ever. Eclectic, and left-field, definitely. Conformist? Never. That he could merge so many styles and influences takes some beating. And one could credit his "talent scout" credentials for unearthing Steve Vai and allowing him to develop and shine and become the virtuoso many appreciate today. That all takes a certain amount of genius, surely?

Just being able to sing isn't genius (Diana Ross, Aretha Franklin). Just being able to compose isn't genius (Haydn, Elgar). Likewise being proficient at a particular instrument isn't genius (James Galway, Nigel Kennedy, Jacqueline du Pré). But you'd all agree that these are some very talented people. But genius? Maybe, maybe not. Any doubt, and I would say not a genius.

Should we have defined what is genius, as distinct from greatness, or talent, or skill?

• Rick Rubin

• SnapSnap Frets: 6263
    CHRISB50 said:
    CHRISB50 said:
    DJ Shadow
    Aphex Twin
    DJ Shadow for the first few albums.

I've never seen an artist slide in quality as much as him. The gap between the Private Press and the Outsider is incredible. His first few albums/EP's were out of this world (I include the first Unkle one as well)
    Yep. I have to agree to an extent. Although Mountain Will Fall was a recent return to form. 

Psyence Fiction gets forgotten about a bit as I guess it was under the UNKLE name, but it’s right up there, as you said. 
    He's never equalled Endtroducing IMO. Our Pathetic Age has it's moments, but its average at best really. 
    Same could be said for Unkle - the last few albums have been week. War Stories is a solid classic thought. He's got a lot of talent too, James Lavelle.
    Snap said:

He's never equalled Endtroducing IMO. Our Pathetic Age has it's moments, but its average at best really. 
    Same could be said for Unkle - the last few albums have been week. War Stories is a solid classic thought. He's got a lot of talent too, James Lavelle.
    As a record label boss he did an incredible job, there were a few stone cold legends in the British 'alternative' dance scene of the 90's who did some incredible work with their labels like James Lavelle, Steve Beckett/Rob Mitchell at Warp Records, the Coldcut Guys for Ninjatune to name a few.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6053
    p90fool said:
    I tend to apply the phrase to musicians whose grasp of composition is unmatched, and then I re-listen to Who Knows from Band of Gypsys in a darkened room and hear someone channelling something from somewhere else entirely.

So yeah, that. 
    I’ve read that Hendrix was unhappy with Band of Gypsies, which goes to show that he wasn’t always the best judge of his own work.

octatonic said:
    Bowie would have to be in there too.
    His genius lay in bringing people together, acting as a creative spark and in marketing himself. That sounds snarky and it's not meant to be, I revere the man. His influence covers a far broader sphere than just music; he was force for creativity and change in wider society. Genius yes but maybe not a musical one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2234
    Imho musical genius refers to one type of creativity. If you studied Belbin, plants are geniuses and resource investigators are not. So anyone who changed music, or started a genre or playing style imho is a genius. 

ian dury fits the criteria, married jazz funk to punk with insanely clever sic lyrics.
  • Sure as shit ain't me, that I can tell you
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2932
    I'll also put Daevid Allen on this list.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4525
    Jonny Greenwood 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • wesker123wesker123 Frets: 496
    edited June 2020
    Brian Eno
    Nile Rodgers 
    Rick Rubin