Do It All v One Trick Ponies?

What's Hot
FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
With both the Boss DD-200 and the MXR Carbon Copy on my board I can see the benefit of having space for both pedals that cover a lot of ground and ones that do one thing superbly.

I'm still struggling to find a modulation pedal that does it for me. Just picked up a Source Audio Luna which is good and has a bag of tricks on board but I'm fiddling more than playing again. 

Do I go for one of each phaser, flanger and chorus or find a do it all wonder? 

What other drive / reverb / delays / other pedals excell in either category? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• downbytheriverdownbytheriver Frets: 1049
    edited June 2020
    Every pedal is a one trick wonder for me - I’ll play with it, find what I like and that’s what I’ll use it for. I’m constantly impressed by people who adjust pedals during a gig. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 951
    I tend to favour pedals that do one thing very well but generally with tweakable options. DOD Rubberneck is a great example of this - it's got lovely Analog Delay, modulation and gain, with highly useful time stretching and feedback switches, which makes adjustment while playing easy. I tend to like warping loops with pedals too so it's always good to have those options. 

Having said that, I love my Red Panda Context which gives me pretty much all the reverb I need - several brilliant algorithms and no real need to tweak while playing. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    For modulation I generally only find one usable setting per pedal. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26964
    The Strymon Deco is my go-to modulation. I've never got on 100% with any phasers, flanges or choruses in the past, but the Deco manages to do vintage-y versions of all of those with ease. It's properly brilliant.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    The Strymon Deco is my go-to modulation. I've never got on 100% with any phasers, flanges or choruses in the past, but the Deco manages to do vintage-y versions of all of those with ease. It's properly brilliant.
    I had one until recently. Although it does lots of things well I couldn't find one setting I wanted to stick with for long. 
  • KeyrohKeyroh Frets: 59
    Alexander Wavelength has survived a long time on my board for a small multi modulation pedal.
    It has 4 presets plus a ramp setting on each.
    I have each set up for a traditional chorus, trem, phaser, vibrato. I'm finding it to be a decent mix of flexibility and set and forget use.
    Keyroh said:
    Alexander Wavelength has survived a long time on my board for a small multi modulation pedal.
    It has 4 presets plus a ramp setting on each.
    I have each set up for a traditional chorus, trem, phaser, vibrato. I'm finding it to be a decent mix of flexibility and set and forget use.
    Sounds great. Let me know when you're ready to sell! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I don't like "Jack of all trades, master of none" type pedals and I can't be bothered with scrolling through menus and pressing the same button a hundred times.
    Sassafras said:
    I don't like "Jack of all trades, master of none" type pedals and I can't be bothered with scrolling through menus and pressing the same button a hundred times.
    I agree. But the DD-200 has been the exception to that rule for me. There are so many great delays on it and I've got to know a good handful well and can dial them in really quickly that it's a useful pedal.

I quite fancy collecting a few classic Boss / MXR one trick modulation pedals but that Alexander sounds interesting.

• BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    For modulation, on occasion, I like to use tremolo, autowah, chorus, phaser, vibe. Having a strymon mobius on my board made perfect sense for me. If I used less types of effects, it might make more sense to use individual pedals.. 
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    For mods, never heard digital multi stuff that gets even remotely close to something satisfying.

I’d get three mini pedals, Ibanez mini Chorus (brilliant), Mooer elec lady (punches well above it’s weight), and MXR phase 95 (a 45 and a 99 in one tiny pedal). Should cost c.£200. In fact, that’s exactly what I have.

If my pending Jam Ripley Fall works out (that’s an all in one alternative), I’ll sell you the above as a job lot!
    dindude said:
    For mods, never heard digital multi stuff that gets even remotely close to something satisfying.

I’d get three mini pedals, Ibanez mini Chorus (brilliant), Mooer elec lady (punches well above it’s weight), and MXR phase 95 (a 45 and a 99 in one tiny pedal). Should cost c.£200. In fact, that’s exactly what I have.

If my pending Jam Ripley Fall works out (that’s an all in one alternative), I’ll sell you the above as a job lot!

I have looked at all if those but unfortunately have an aversion to mini pedals. It's the tiny control knobs, they are the most infuriating thing I don't know why makers can't do something better.

Also, I need a mix control on a flanger pedal. 
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Fuengi said:
    dindude said:

I have looked at all if those but unfortunately have an aversion to mini pedals. It's the tiny control knobs, they are the most infuriating thing I don't know why makers can't do something better.

Also, I need a mix control on a flanger pedal. 
    True, the tiny knobs are annoying 
    Anybody tried the Keeley Bubble Tron? 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14423
    Fuengi said:
    No but very tempted for that “Ship Ahoy” stepped filtering texture. 

For modulation, I generally only find one usable setting per pedal. 
    That is my reasoning for using a Roland/BOSS Dimension chorus effect. If none of the push button presets suits the song, it probably didn’t really need chorus to begin with.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    Fuengi said:
    No but very tempted for that “Ship Ahoy” stepped filtering texture. 

For modulation, I generally only find one usable setting per pedal. 
    That is my reasoning for using a Roland/BOSS Dimension chorus effect. If none of the push button presets suits the song, it probably didn’t really need chorus to begin with.

Is that the Waza Dimension C? 

Are all four buttons just different chorus effects? 
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2325
    edited June 2020
    I've found the Boss DD500 and the Strymon Mobius do everything I ever want for modulation and delays.

The only single modulation pedal I have the that cannot be matched is an Ibanez PH7 phaser pedal .which although I don't use any more I will keep for ever!

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14423
    Fuengi said:
    Roland/BOSS Dimension chorus effect.

Is that the Waza Dimension C? 

Are all four buttons just different chorus effects? 
    The DC-2w is the most recent incarnation in a line of products.

The four push buttons are presets of increasing modulation rate and depth. On better versions, two modes can be engaged simultaneously. 

The effect is more impressive when run in stereo.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • In terms of modulation I'm a Mobius kind of guy. I wouldn't say every single engine on there is the best of the best. I mean, personally I struggle to hear the difference between one "all the features phaser" and another one from a separate company anyway. But the Mobius just feels creative to use.

I've not tried the Boss MD500, but I want to get one to evaluate it.

The TC Nova Modulator is a cool pedal too.

Bye!