‘Mids heavy’ wah recommendations please

What's Hot
Caffeine_VampireCaffeine_Vampire Frets: 3479
I don’t have much luck with wah pedals, they either have swampy lows or shrill highs. Even the ones with ridiculous amounts of onboard eq don’t seem to work for me. Can anyone recommend a vintage sounding, mid-voiced, throaty wah? Required to cover ground from Hendrix to Live & Dangerous. Nothing I have to spend a lot of time dialling in, just a simple on and off affair. 

With thanks.
'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26749
    The BYOC circuit is a good one, though you have to build it yourself... 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Crybaby 535Q is great because you dial in the exact amount of throaty mids you want. But it's very simple. It's just two extra controls.

Or a Budda wah.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1686
    edited June 2020
    See if you can get a clone of a boomerang wah.

They seem to have an extended mid range transition/hump or however wah pedals do it. So rather than that snap/whacka you get when bumping over it on CB/Vox style what's, you get a very vocal, expressive place to play.

Proviso. Get one that uses something close to the original pot value and taper. Big part of the sound and the usual 100k plus resistor hack to replace pots on the originals doesn't cut it.

Best heard here.

The colorsound wah is also good at this, they have a synthier sounding transition, but such a large throw that, depending on how you set the weird cam type system on it, the low end can actually be perceived as a volume drop when you're all the way heel back.

A note on that, have you tried adjusting the rack and pot?

• nick79nick79 Frets: 252
    The Dunlop Zakk Wylde wah is very throaty, i was after what you described and this one has been on my board for years.
  • WeZ84WeZ84 Frets: 154
    Sonuus Wahoo - a little bigger than a normal wah but you can tweak everything so you should be able to find the wah sound you are looking for.
  • shadyshady Frets: 252
    +1 on the Zakk Wylde wah, it's everything you've listed. It also comes with a tool to adjust the treadle resistance. 
  • Nice one. Options galore! YouTube reviews time :) Cheers everyone.
  • jdbwalesjdbwales Frets: 309
    EVH wah - nothing comes close for me.
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6627
    The BMF is a Maestro Boomerang circuit. Sounds incredible and you can swap out the board inside for any one of about 5 other classic wah circuits. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • Actually just watching BMF reviews now.
  • BMF winning. 
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    CAE 404 Wah  ... Bradshaw designed , dual inductor - footswitchable  ,  internal trimmers for frequency / Q adjustment of each inductor and a CAE switchable boost  ... 

https://equipboard.com/items/mxr-mc404-cae-wah  - not sure how upto date user list is but worth a look 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    edited June 2020
    The Petrucci and Cantrell signature Crybabies sound pretty good to me. I haven't actually played the Petrucci one but like how it sounds in demos, really throaty. The Cantrell one has a knob which adjusts how bright the toe down position gets, so you can lose the screechy top end.

I just don't understand why Dunlop choose not to put true or buffered bypass on all their wahs though. Their standard bypass kills your high end and sustain in my experience.
  • mattdavismattdavis Frets: 840
    After having the standard wah, and the Cantrell wah I settled in the Bonamassa model. Has a lovely midrange with v little too end shriek, and option for buffered or true bypass. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    The best one I know of is the Dunlop 535 - not 535Q, it’s an older discontinued model with just a 4-way range switch and a boost control. It just sounds better... I don’t know why. It’s not very common, but not super rare or expensive.

It also has fully buffered switching, which is an advantage - unless you want to run a vintage-style fuzz after it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6627
    Oh forgot to say the BMF has a switchable fuzz friendly buffer you can adjust too. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • @ICBM Funny you should mention the old 535. I had one years back, never used it apart from a quick test to check it worked, I’ll have a scour on the bay. Cheers.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6595
    I have a Sonuus Wahoo for sale. Does all the wah sounds plus a huge amount of other filter related things. 
  • @merlin Noted and on the shortlist :)