Checked your driving licence lately?

What's Hot
boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12344
Just discovered that mine expires in 10 days. :o  

No reminder sent by the DVLA, even though google suggests they’re supposed to notify you at least two months before. I don’t know if this is a Covid related thing or whether they’re just perennially crap? Luckily it got spotted in time and because I’ve got a valid passport I can renew it online. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16290
    I only got a plastic one for the first time last year. Probably ought to check my passport come to think of it.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • jackiojackio Frets: 132
    Yes

I did mine a few weeks ago with a similar scenario. 

Its just been rejected as proof of identity by another govt agency because it is 'unclear'. I opted for the 'digital passport photo we hold on record' option rather than mail in a photo. 

Now I have to reapply for my DL :o  
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Oh also, no warning though maybe I was emailed at a very very old email?
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12344
    jackio said:
    Oh also, no warning though maybe I was emailed at a very very old email?
    From what I’ve read it’s a postal reminder from DVLA. I’ve never had an email reminder for my driving licence or passport expiring. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    4a expired 6 years ago. I still have 4 years left for 4b, phew.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72204
    I never even knew this was a thing until you were 70. I just checked mine and it runs out in just under two months... if it wasn't for this thread it could easily have already expired and I would have had no idea.

This thread might be worth making a 'sticky'.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31455
    ICBM said:
    I never even knew this was a thing until you were 70. I just checked mine and it runs out in just under two months... if it wasn't for this thread it could easily have already expired and I would have had no idea.

This thread might be worth making a 'sticky'.
    They run out every ten years, but if you move house in that time you have to do it then anyway. 

Mine has two years left to run before I need to renew it, but I always keep the old one and say I've lost it as so many get returned with the motorcycle entitlement removed, forcing you to retake your test. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4256
    Just checked, mine expired 7 years ago.  =)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33779
    If you exchange your licence for a foreign licence and then get it back the expiry doesn't change either.

I've done this 3 time sin the last 2 years and mine still expires in 2021.

I set calendar entries a month in advance for licence and passport expiries.
    Currently have 3 drivers licences (UK, Singapore and Switzerland) so I need to stay on top of it.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    edited June 2020
    So that's £14-£17 per application for renewal across the driving population as and when 10 years is up, not to mention the, potentially, huge number who being used to  previous paper licenses being ignorant of the 10 years rule due to lack of DVLA notification, being subject to a £1000 fine if checked. Someone should have been handed a decent bonus for that idea.  .
    TBH I had no idea about this and just realized mine expires next month. Thanks for posting this, it really would be a good sticky.
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1435
    Same problem for me. Applied for a renewal on Monday 1st, it arrived this morning.

No written or email reminder.
  • rocktronrocktron Frets: 806
    Yesterday, I received a Notice of Intended Prosecution for doing 47mph in a 40mph zone on the elevated section of the M4 at Brentford, of all places. 

I expect that I will be requested to take an driver's educational course, or pay a fine and have points on my licence. I am not sure which is the best option.

Has anyone taken the driver's educational course, and what does it involve?
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12344
    Dodge said:
    Same problem for me. Applied for a renewal on Monday 1st, it arrived this morning.

No written or email reminder.
    So that’s three or four of us just from this little community that could’ve been driving illegally fairly shortly. Makes you wonder if it’s a one off situation due to current conditions, sheer inefficiency on the part of the DVLA or a nice little money making enterprise for the gov’t. Presumably your car insurance is also void if your licence is out of date.  :o
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3650
    rocktron said:
    Yesterday, I received a Notice of Intended Prosecution for doing 47mph in a 40mph zone on the elevated section of the M4 at Brentford, of all places. 

I expect that I will be requested to take an driver's educational course, or pay a fine and have points on my licence. I am not sure which is the best option.

Ashamed to say that I've just taken my second (and had 3 points in between).

The course is well worth taking.  It costs roughly the same as a fixed penalty notice (last one was £90) but no points.  The course itself is actually very educational.

First time was attendance in person.  I think about 20 offenders and two people running the course.  All very good natured but it does take a couple of hours.  This time it was online (Zoom) with half a dozen reprobates plus the guy running it.  Technology worked ok (course leader had a couple of brief drop outs) but it’s still 2 or 2 1/2 hours long with a 10 minute break and no looking at email or surfing t’interweb whilst you’re doing it.  Interestingly two of us were joining from our home studios.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    rocktron said:

Biscuits, lots of biscuits
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3650
    rocktron said:

Biscuits, lots of biscuits

And of course there is the initiation ceremony, but we are sworn not to tell you about that. ;)

• If you're lucky enough to still have one of the paper (no photo) licenses, I think there's no need to renew (until you change address).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4908
    If you're lucky enough to still have one of the paper (no photo) licenses, I think there's no need to renew (until you change address).
    ... or get to 70 years old.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Maybe missed in my post

i am having to renew my renewal after 1/12 because the photo from the passport database is so poor. The cost to correct is, of course, mine 
  • rocktronrocktron Frets: 806
    @Musicwolf: Thank you for the information.

My car battery was flat due to the car not being used for weeks while I was working from home. I had just charged the battery and was taking the car for an additional top up charge up the M4 and back to West London when I exceeded the speed limit.