Checked your driving licence lately?

What's Hot

Comments

• RustySpannerRustySpanner Frets: 553
    Has anyone taken the driver's educational course, and what does it involve?

I quite enjoyed mine. 

The two chaps who ran the course were excellent, very informative. 

I think it made me a better driver. 

A day well spent, tbh. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    edited June 2020
    rocktron said:
    Yesterday, I received a Notice of Intended Prosecution for doing 47mph in a 40mph zone on the elevated section of the M4 at Brentford, of all places. 

I expect that I will be requested to take an driver's educational course, or pay a fine and have points on my licence. I am not sure which is the best option.

The most boring experience of your life! Mine was about 4 hours i think.Take something to eat. That was my mistake. Could of eaten my own foot by the time i got out.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4168
    Checked mine, it doesn't expire until the end of 2022... I've set a reminder on my phone for May 2022, just in case :+1: 
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3654
    rocktron said:
    @Musicwolf: Thank you for the information.

My car battery was flat due to the car not being used for weeks while I was working from home. I had just charged the battery and was taking the car for an additional top up charge up the M4 and back to West London when I exceeded the speed limit.
    But what they will ask you to think about was - why did you speed?  Exceeding the speed limit wouldn't have done anything to top up the battery any quicker than cruising at 70.

The course is run in a very positive way.  Nobody will put you on the spot or make you feel bad and maybe you will come away thinking a little more about what leads you to exceed the speed limit.  I certainly saw it as a positive experience (although clearly the first one didn't have a lasting effect).

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9662
    edited June 2020

I quite enjoyed mine. 

The two chaps who ran the course were excellent, very informative. 

I think it made me a better driver. 

A day well spent, tbh. 

Also, if you take the points/fine then you have to inform your insurer (and risk an increase of premium). If you take the course then, with the majority of insurers, you don’t.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3670
    edited June 2020
    rocktron said:
    Yesterday, I received a Notice of Intended Prosecution for doing 47mph in a 40mph zone on the elevated section of the M4 at Brentford, of all places. 

I expect that I will be requested to take an driver's educational course, or pay a fine and have points on my licence. I am not sure which is the best option.

100% TAKE IT,..  I was done for 33 in a 30.. a while back and had this option so my license remains clean. 

lt is fun and easy going... usually a bunch of mums and old guys rather than the boy racers who got caught.  Mainly a refresher course on the highway code and update on laws.  Some tips and tricks for safe driving, risk awareness.  All good, useful stuff. 

it is semi-anonymous in that you don't need to inform insurers.  But the police will keep a record so if you do it again... it will be points, 
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2438
    @rocktron the course is worth doing because it's not a fixed penalty or conviction so you aren't required to tell your insurance company at renewal time
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3446
    Crap, mine expired a few years ago! and its on my last address! Does this mean I have to change address or renew my expired license?
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3319
    rocktron said:

@rocktron ;

Bummer was that the average speed cameras on the way in or was it traffic cops?
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Just checked mine, and got a little while to go, but good idea (h/t @skullfunkerry ) of putting a reminder in the diary. Knowing me, I'll set it two months before expiry.

Have just checked the UK Govt website, and you’ll be surprised to know that you will "receive a reminder before your current licence ends". [Stop laughing at the back]

For everyone's info ..... To renew online, you need a valid UK passport, to be a GB resident, addresses of where lived over the last 3 years, current driving licence, NI number. The new licence will be valid from the date your application is approved, not from the expiry date of your current (or your *cough* expired) licence.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309
    If you're lucky enough to still have one of the paper (no photo) licenses, I think there's no need to renew (until you change address).
    Phew! 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361
    fandango said:
    Just checked mine, and got a little while to go, but good idea (h/t @skullfunkerry ) of putting a reminder in the diary. Knowing me, I'll set it two months before expiry.

Have just checked the UK Govt website, and you’ll be surprised to know that you will "receive a reminder before your current licence ends". [Stop laughing at the back]

For everyone's info ..... To renew online, you need a valid UK passport, to be a GB resident, addresses of where lived over the last 3 years, current driving licence, NI number. The new licence will be valid from the date your application is approved, not from the expiry date of your current (or your *cough* expired) licence.
    In a wonderful example of government efficiency, all it says at the beginning of the application page is that you’ll need all the required paperwork to hand, but it doesn’t actually tell you what all of that is. The NI number wasn’t even mentioned until I got to the relevant  page. Luckily I remember it off by heart because it was part of my weekly job sheet at work. 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27453
    boogieman said:
    Just discovered that mine expires in 10 days. :o  

What do you mean ... “expires” ??

Ive still got mine from 1980-a-long-time-ago, and it’s fine ...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361
    TTony said:
    boogieman said:
    Just discovered that mine expires in 10 days. :o  

What do you mean ... “expires” ??

Ive still got mine from 1980-a-long-time-ago, and it’s fine ...
    Are you still on a paper licence then? The plastic photo licences only last 10 years, then you have to renew them. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    I shall have to renew at a Post Office. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Exactly this a couple of weeks ago. They only reason I found out was that our fleet team emailed to say I would have to hand my car back if I didn’t send them my new licence. Luckily once it’s renewed, it only takes a day to appear on the online  DVLA licence check and the card arrived within a week. 
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2438
    I think the government is giving an extension on all photo licences that expire been now and August
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31575
    robgilmo said:
    Crap, mine expired a few years ago! and its on my last address! Does this mean I have to change address or renew my expired license?
    It is definitely an offence not to change the address on your licence, and it's in your interests too, or speeding tickets could be piling up on your old doormat without you having a chance to deal with them before things get out of hand. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3586
    From this thread i checked mine....Opps, End of April 20. Herself was the same so we renewed online last night.
    It does say have all your docs to hand before because it will time out. There is a full screen review of all your answers where you can check and correct each before submission. Took a little over 15 mins each for us to renew. Again neither had any notice of expiration before or since and there was nothing obvious to say about COVID extention period on the .gov website.

Also beware there are the usual scammers that you can pay more to who then link through to the DVLA so make sure you get the correct update site.
    You get an email confirmation of receipt almost instantly.
    You are also asked to cut up and return your old licence, has everyone done this?

• fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    p90fool said:
    ICBM said:
    I never even knew this was a thing until you were 70. I just checked mine and it runs out in just under two months... if it wasn't for this thread it could easily have already expired and I would have had no idea.

This thread might be worth making a 'sticky'.
    They run out every ten years, but if you move house in that time you have to do it then anyway. 

Mine has two years left to run before I need to renew it, but I always keep the old one and say I've lost it as so many get returned with the motorcycle entitlement removed, forcing you to retake your test. 
    I've been in my house 12 years. Are you sure? Mine's not running out for cars until 2024.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.