1988 PRS With Undisclosed Neck Break Now On Reverb and Ebay 2022 updated

What's Hot
Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2377
edited August 2022 in Guitar
We've mentioned this one before but I thought seen as it has been listed on Reverb tonight that it deserves another mention just to prevent someone here buying it and being mightily disappointed. The clear coat refin on the neck isn't looking so invisible with age now. Such a shame as this was a lovely guitar before the neck break. The seller was made aware long ago about the damage and repair but he is in denial.  Buyer Beware as always. 

https://reverb.com/item/34031592-paul-reed-smith-custom-24-original-factory-sweet-switch-prs-one-piece-figured-top-1988

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    Thanks - Not that I have that kind of spare cash at the moment but I would be pretty devastated to spend nigh on £5k to then get an undisclosed head break arrive in the post.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • "luck of the drawer"... 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9606
    “Any questions please ask”

Do you have a photo of the back of the headstock?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5013
    "luck of the drawer"... 
    Yep the one-piece maple tops were in one drawer, the two-piece tops in another.  ;)
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361
    There’s an awful lot of lacquer chipping by  the neck pocket and the very obvious difference in colour on the back of neck, yet somehow he doesn’t know anything about the neck being taken out or any repairs? “Ah no, they’re all like that guv.” 

I love the fact that dull lacquer “makes it look better” too. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    "luck of the drawer"... 
    Yep the one-piece maple tops were in one drawer, the two-piece tops in another.  ;)
    Is that the reclaimed wood he was using on early guitars? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7775
    “Any questions please ask”

Do you have a photo of the back of the headstock?

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2254
    edited June 2020
    So where's the break? I can see where perhaps it is (a split up by the nut perhaps), but it must have been exceptionally well repaired if it was broken.
  • AstorAstor Frets: 25
    edited June 2020
    I'm a former owner of the guitar albeit briefly as I bought the guitar on eBay back in 2011 and the neck break happened in transit to me (thanks Parcelforce!). 
    Thankfully the original seller was totally honest and accepted the guitar back (he isn't the one selling it now). The neck break was pretty clean and went in a v shape from the nut to just after the 2nd fret.

http://imgur.com/gallery/0cdGul2

0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 783
    And at the bottom of add it says it's 'flipping great', which it will be for him if dishonestly 'flipped' :)
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7775

Now I've seen the photo of it broken I can clearly see some indication of it in the photos of the "undamaged" neck.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3321
    Is it possible this seller doesn’t know it’s been broken or has one of us already told him or sold it to him in the past with full disclosure?
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030
    edited June 2020
    @grungebob ;;The guitar is also listed on eBay with an update stating that people had contacted him re. the neck damage, viz:

“UPDATE:
    I’ve been asked by numerous people if the neck has been out/refitted. I’m not aware of any work done to neck and I purchased from a reputable seller. However I have some more detailed photos of the guitar and it looks like the lacquer has reacted where it meets the body. This is not present at the heel, but is on the sides. The guitar plays perfectly and there is nothing to suggest it’s been damaged, everything is straight and the action/playability is as you’d expect (flipping great) from any PRS”

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72298
    Clearly broken, repaired pretty well, but the finish redone not very well. It could actually be made a lot less visible with a full-neck refinish done right, but you would have to re-mark the serial number.

I have to say it was also an unusually poorly-chosen piece of wood in the first place - the grain runs out at quite an angle to the neck, which is why it was able to break like that. That's something I haven't seen on any other PRSs I can remember - although it's fairly common on Gibsons.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3321
    edited June 2020
    @grungebob ;;;The guitar is also listed on eBay with an update stating that people had contacted him re. the neck damage, viz:

“UPDATE:
    I’ve been asked by numerous people if the neck has been out/refitted. I’m not aware of any work done to neck and I purchased from a reputable seller. However I have some more detailed photos of the guitar and it looks like the lacquer has reacted where it meets the body. This is not present at the heel, but is on the sides. The guitar plays perfectly and there is nothing to suggest it’s been damaged, everything is straight and the action/playability is as you’d expect (flipping great) from any PRS”
    I’ve edited this follow up comment as it’s obvious the guy’s not what we thought and has joined up and taken part in the discussion. 

Welcome to the fretboard 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22774
    @Astor Thanks for posting the pic of the neck break.  When you had it was there also damage at the neck/body join?

ICBM said:
    I have to say it was also an unusually poorly-chosen piece of wood in the first place - the grain runs out at quite an angle to the neck, which is why it was able to break like that. That's something I haven't seen on any other PRSs I can remember - although it's fairly common on Gibsons.
    @ICBM Just trying to understand as I look at the pictures, is it the way the grain lines angle across the  the back of the headstock, rather than running in a straight line between the two lines of tuners?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72298
    Philly_Q said:

@ICBM Just trying to understand as I look at the pictures, is it the way the grain lines angle across the  the back of the headstock, rather than running in a straight line between the two lines of tuners?
    No, it's the way the grain lines aren't parallel to the neck in the area where it's broken - they slope up towards the fingerboard from about the 3rd fret to the nut. This significantly weakens the neck since wood tends to break along the grain lines, exactly as it did.

If anything, you want the grain to run off slightly the other way so it follows the angle of the headstock to some extent and helps strengthen the weak point under the nut.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22774
    ICBM said:
    Philly_Q said:

No, it's the way the grain lines aren't parallel to the neck in the area where it's broken - they slope up towards the fingerboard from about the 3rd fret to the nut. This significantly weakens the neck since wood tends to break along the grain lines, exactly as it did.

If anything, you want the grain to run off slightly the other way so it follows the angle of the headstock to some extent and helps strengthen the weak point under the nut.
    Understood, thanks!
  • amarok1971amarok1971 Frets: 338
    grungebob said:
    Is it possible this seller doesn’t know it’s been broken or has one of us already told him or sold it to him in the past with full disclosure?
    He MIGHT have been advised a few hours ago to disclose everything on every selling platform or keep it... he also MIGHT have been sent the link to this thread  B)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030
    FYI - The price has been reduced by £1K with an update re. the neck break.

Just out of interest - question for PRS aficionados - what’s the consensus re. value, given the break/repair/refinish/current condition?

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/