NGD - Aqua-blue ash thinline partscaster - finally finished it.

What's Hot
MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
Got this one finished at long last - @GSPBASSES made the ash body for me to spec, and sent it back in July last year. I did start a build thread in August lol, but life got a bit busy and things got abandoned for a while. Anyhow, my apologies for that, but I have had a bit of a push at the project recently, and got it completed a couple of days ago, and pretty happy with the result.

The finish is a Wudtone "Azure Lagoon" kit (IIRC) - I got the colour to where it looked nice, a few more clear satin coats on top, then I just used some fine wire wool to smooth it and buffed the surface with copy paper. I bought the neck unfinished for £65 on ebay and used a few thin coats of clear Wudtone to finish that too, and gave it a smooth matt finish with wire wool at the end. I was going to use a different all-maple neck with an amber-tint finish, but it looked wrong to me. The bridge is a Gotoh unit from Axecaster, who also supplied the string ferrules, string tree, jack socket and neck plate. The machines are from Axesrus.

Pickups are a GFS Surf 90 in the neck (very loosely a modern take on a Dearmond Dynasonic, but I suspect not hugely similar in sound) and a Mojo Broadcaster that I bought from someone on this forum a few years ago lol. Sound-wise, the neck pickup has a nice chime, but also plenty of body, and quite smooth - it can do a good jazz tone. The bridge pickup is kind of frightening, in a good way - it's a really aggressive, powerful, ballsy, cutting tele tone - had to lower it a bit to tame things a little, but a great pickup. The middle position I guess I'd say is another classic tele sound, but lighter sounding - would be nice for funk strumming, but other things too of course. The guitar is definitely a semi-acoustic - surprisingly loud acoustically.

0reaction image LOL 30reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MegiiMegii Frets: 1670

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

:)
    0reaction image LOL 10reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14423
    How hollow is the body? This is tFB. Somebody is bound to post, “needs a Bigsby”. :)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    How hollow is the body? This is tFB. Somebody is bound to post, “needs a Bigsby”. :)
    Indeed somebody is lol - the body is very hollow - solid under the central section where the pickups and bridge are, but fully chambered on both sides, plus another small chamber below the bridge. Still balances well on a strap though, which is a bit of a relief. :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Excellent job ! WOW'd
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Jalapeno said:
    Excellent job ! WOW'd
    Cheers @Jalapeno :)

• sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    Good job! Looks awesome
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    Super cool! Love the colour. The only thing I would want too change is the knobs ( personal preference) 
  • VinylfanVinylfan Frets: 33
    That looks amazing!  Well done. Lovely colour and the neck works really well with it.
    edited June 2020
    sawyer said:
    Good job! Looks awesome
    Much appreciated @sawyer, cheers!
    duotone said:
    Super cool! Love the colour. The only thing I would want too change is the knobs ( personal preference) 
    Thank you @duotone - most happy with the colour too. Understood regarding the knobs - I actually bought some nickel tele knobs, which I was going to use, but I just found them a bit awkward to use and wasn't sold on the look with this guitar, so went with the white strat knobs - but as you say, it's a personal preference thing there.

Vinylfan
    said: That looks amazing!  Well done. Lovely colour and the neck works really well with it.

Thank you very much @Vinylfan - hard to explain about the one-piece maple neck I was going to use, but I think if people saw it they would agree it didn't look right.

• EpsilonEpsilon Frets: 615
    Looks great!
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    That very nice.   Great work.

Epsilon said:
    Looks great!
    That very nice.   Great work.
    Thank you both, much appreciated - apologies for not replying sooner, have a family member currently not at all well, so have had to focus on that recently. The guitar really is a great player anyhow - feels lovely and responsive, and the extra acoustic volume makes it nice to use even un-amplified. :)

• hoopshoops Frets: 224
    Looks great - love the colour. 
    hoops said:
    Looks great - love the colour. 
    Cheers! :)

• Sweet looking guitar ,bet it sounds ace. Well done  ;)
    Sweet looking guitar ,bet it sounds ace. Well done  ;)
    Much appreciated @marktheharp , cheers mate! :)
  • tidy thinline. Love the colour with that grain. 
    I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    Wow!
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 537
    Looks awesome :)