20 year old Martin 00-15, bridge shave or neck reset advice pls

What's Hot
JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 439
My much loved mahogany top Martin 00-15, has the not uncommon issue of the belly very slightly swelling with age and the set of the neck angle vs height of the bridge no longer has enough wiggle room to shave the saddle to return it to my favoured lowish action.

I could shave a mm or 2 off the the bridge but a neck reset may be preferable. I'm aware of Dave King in Newbury but is there a recommended Luthier/repairer that I could get a second opinion from and do a reset nearer me?

North east London, Herts, Essex area preferred.

Cheers, 

Cam 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7764
    This guy is based in London and does neck resets on loads of top end acoustics.

Kenji Okumura

okumuraguitars@gmail.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3493
    JCA2550 said:
    My much loved mahogany top Martin 00-15, has the not uncommon issue of the belly very slightly swelling with age and the set of the neck angle vs height of the bridge no longer has enough wiggle room to shave the saddle to return it to my favoured lowish action.

I could shave a mm or 2 off the the bridge but a neck reset may be preferable. I'm aware of Dave King in Newbury but is there a recommended Luthier/repairer that I could get a second opinion from and do a reset nearer me?

North east London, Herts, Essex area preferred.

Cheers, 

Cam 
    Any chance of posting up a pictures of the soundboard and bridge?

My favourite acoustic guitar's saddle has come down as low as is possible and I think it's in a similar position to yours and I'd be intrigued to see how it looks now.

Just out of interest have you had any issues with your bridge plate? I posted a thread here about my bridge plate having some tear out and Andy (who makes fine guitars) then said something about bridge plate problems can sometimes lead to the soundboard bellying which my guitar has a bit of.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • domforrdomforr Frets: 326
    LA Guitars in Finchley or Graham Parker in Lewisham. I have used LA guitars many times and they are very good, if a little pricey. I have only dealt with Graham by email for advice, but he has a very good reputation and seems very approachable. 
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 439
    earwighoney said: 

Any chance of posting up a pictures of the soundboard and bridge?

My favourite acoustic guitar's saddle has come down as low as is possible and I think it's in a similar position to yours and I'd be intrigued to see how it looks now.

Just out of interest have you had any issues with your bridge plate? I posted a thread here about my bridge plate having some tear out and Andy (who makes fine guitars) then said something about bridge plate problems can sometimes lead to the soundboard bellying which my guitar has a bit of.
    I'll see If I can post a pic up of the top and bridge in a bit, the bridge plate is sound as a pound. I had Leon of Grizzly Guitars do a marvellous refret on it a few years ago and he may have shaved a whisper off the top of the bridge at the time, not sure though? He certainly cut slots to improve the break angle over the saddle. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    This guy is based in London and does neck resets on loads of top end acoustics.

Kenji Okumura

okumuraguitars@gmail.com
    I can also vow for Kenji, I took my guitar for a set up when he was at Ivor's. Excellent work for sure.

His workshop I think is around the Queenstown Road station, near Battersea? I was planning to take a few things to him when things settle down a bit.

JCA2550 said:

I'll see If I can post a pic up of the top and bridge in a bit, the bridge plate is sound as a pound. I had Leon of Grizzly Guitars do a marvellous refret on it a few years ago and he may have shaved a whisper off the top of the bridge at the time, not sure though? He certainly cut slots to improve the break angle over the saddle. 
    Thanks for the info, good to hear your bridgeplate is still in great condition! Just out of curiousity what kind of fretwire did you have it refretted with? Seems like your 00's had a good life, a fine acoustic deserves to be played!
    Thanks for that JCA, hopefully someone like ICBM can provide his view if you can get by with the bridge being shaved.
  • EpsilonEpsilon Frets: 615
    Definitely do a neck reset. Bridge shaving takes mass off the guitar right where you want it and will affect the downward pressure on and vibration of the soundboard. It affects the sound. If you do a bridge shave you'll probably just end up replacing the bridge and getting a neck reset at some stage. A good neck reset will give you a guitar at peak performance for another 20-30 years.

As above, I've used Kenji Okumura for a neck reset before and he is very good. Turnaround times aren't quick but it's worth it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Epsilon said:

As above, I've used Kenji Okumura for a neck reset before and he is very good. Turnaround times aren't quick but it's worth it.
    He's pretty slow but I see that as a good thing. I've seen him in Ivor's working whilst trying guitars and he's slow and precise. Fine attributes for a repairman!
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    Dave king is the boy for Martins. No question. 
    Never shave that bridge that’s a trick for cheap crap, Harmonys, Taylors etc

I had a D15 with a bad neck angle. The modern 15s have a tenon joint with a screw (allegedly not part of the joint) but I nipped the screw up and it brought the neck back in line. Nice

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    All really helpful insights and recommendations, thanks.
    I've dropped lines to Dave King and Kenji Okumura. I'll let you  know how I get on.
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2411
    Keith Railton at Imperial Guitars is near Cambridge, he did a very difficult neck reset for me and got it spot on. Was quite a bit cheaper than most into the bargain.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72259
    What Epsilon said - always reset the neck, not shave the bridge if you have the choice on a decent guitar. Shaving the bridge reduces the string height above the top which will reduce the vibration transmitted into it and weaken the tone. If you reset the neck you can even increase the saddle height slightly.

Shaving the bridge is for cheap guitars like 70s plywood Yamahas where the neck was glued in with something like epoxy and can’t be reset without a vastly excessive cost, or really at all.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• EpsilonEpsilon Frets: 615
    Epsilon said:

He's pretty slow but I see that as a good thing. I've seen him in Ivor's working whilst trying guitars and he's slow and precise. Fine attributes for a repairman!
    Absolutely. It wasn't really meant as a criticism but simply a reality of having a neck reset done by a pro to a high standard.
    edited June 2020
    Dave King has said he can do it with a 2 week turnaround, only hesitation is the 140 mile round trip to drop it off and finding the time and justification during lockdown.
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5258
    JCA2550 said:
    Dave King has said he can do it with a 2 week turnaround, only hesitation is the 140 mile round trip to drop it off and finding the time and justification during lockdown.
    use UPS?
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    mgaw said:
    JCA2550 said:
    use UPS?
    Use ParcelForce....they will do the neck reset in transit. 
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    By way of a follow up: I sent it off to Dave King and he did a splendid job resetting the neck and my 0015 has got it's mojo back. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5258
    excellent news