Gibson SG Junior 2019 models - all one piece bodies now ?

What's Hot
AK99AK99 Frets: 1563
Been looking at a couple of these recently (including one in the classifieds here) , and noticed that both had one-piece bodies. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gibson-SG-Junior-Vintage-Cherry/163972553415

Nearly all of the earlier (non custom-shop) SGs I've seen have had two piece bodies.  Is just a coincidence, or have they changed the spec and given all of the late model Juniors the one-piece body ?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MikeSMikeS Frets: 2133
    That one you've linked to is not a one piece body, so I guess that answers that.

If you look at the photo of the back, you see it more clearly.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1563
    I have to confess, I've pored over the pics of that one enlarged on the screen and even got a magnifying glass on it - but I cannot see the join :(
  • UncleBiffUncleBiff Frets: 52
    The join is good but if you look closely you can see the grain change where it runs into each other.
  • HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 470
    I can’t see the join on the photographs but I would be surprised if it was a one piece body. I find that the joins are very easy to see if you look at the sides of the body.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22515
    edited June 2020
    I can’t see the join on the photographs but I would be surprised if it was a one piece body. I find that the joins are very easy to see if you look at the sides of the body.
    Yes, look at the end grain near the strap button and you can always see the joins easily.  Also in the cutaways if it's a three-piece.  Unfortunately people rarely photograph their guitars end-on!  I think I can spot the joins in these photos, but mahogany can be deceptive, it can have very straight lines in the grain which look just like joins!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1067
    Regardless of one or two piece, I think they are gorgeous. I have been in the market for a p90 Open tuning / Slide Guitar for about 6 months now and so close to pulling trigger on the SG junior. I get paid next week, so there might be a new guitar joining the family!
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6838
    There was a fella here not so long ago bought one. 

Pictures are gone mind. But I remember it looking beautiful. 

The eagle eyed here noticed it was a 3 piece body.

I recently bought one of the Lp junior’s at the same price point. Its got a 2 piece body as far as I can see.

I reckon they are all likely to be 2 or 3 piece bodies tbh.
    However it wouldnt worry me. 

Some would say a 3 piece body has the edge over a 2 piece, as the neck on a 3 piece would attach directly to the 1 centre piece of the body and the 2 other parts are wings attached to that, rather than the neck on a 2 piece attaching to 2 separate pieces of the body. If that makes sense? 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1563
    edited June 2020

Still struggling with this

This is a pic the back of that Junior advertised on eBay.

Is it actually a 3-piece and not 2-piece - with the joins starting approximately 1/3 of the way round the arc of the cutout for both the upper and lower horn as you move away from the neck-joint ??
  • Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
    To be quite honest it wouldn't bother me at that price point. 

The only time it bothers me is when they use pieces that are so mismatched you and spot the joins from out of space.  If I was paying custom shop money then I would expect a one piece body but for a guitar like that I wouldn't bat an eyelid...it looks fab!
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22515
    Looking at that picture, I think there's a join line just above the top right corner of the backplate, and other in roughly the same place on the opposite side of the body.

They might even have centred the neck on the middle body section, with the other two pieces added as "wings".  Which is pretty tidy work for Gibson, I've seen them with three (or maybe more) pieces of completely different widths.  Sometimes there'll be a little bit just an inch or two wide on one side of the body.

Can see em here quite easily. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1926
    3 piece?
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10227

I always though my Les Paul was a two piece body until I stripped and re-finished it a few months ago. There is another jion about half way through the control plate cover. It's actually a lot more evident in the photo than in reality. Baring in mind it's one of the LPJ models, which was the budget offering in 2013, it's still quite impressive how good it looks, I think. 

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4066
    @breakstuff Almost looks like a 4-pc - isn't that another join about 1cm above the bass-side of the neck joint? 
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10227

@guitargeek62 agreed, it does look like a join in the photo, but looking end on you can see that it is definitely three pieces.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4066
    Quite right! Goes to show how misleading the grain can be from just one angle!
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1067
    @AK99 Have you pulled the trigger on a SG Junior? Looking at buying one myself. So much GAS.
  • Bennyboy-UKBennyboy-UK Frets: 1710
    I LOVE SG juniors and its always annoyed me that Gibson haven't released an accurate one over the years as per the pre 1965 ish era ones - which I think are the prettiest ones.

This time, they got the neck joint right which was great! - but the scratch plate isn't the right shape, and the headstock is too big.

I checked out the 63 Custom Shop reissue specs, and on that one they do have the scratch plate correct - but still have headstock thats too big. That seems a big miss if its meant to be a reissue?

Almost there - maybe in the next iteration, they might reduce the headstock size? - I expect if they do, they'll bugger something else up.

I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for:
    * Hamer Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62.
    * Music Man Luke 1, Luke II

Please drop me a message.
  • I bought one of the 2019 SG Juniors from GAK. It was two piece, possibly three, it was extremely hard to tell. It was a very nice guitar, but there was some poor finishing on the neck, so I sent it back.

I would also say that the varnish was very thick.

Sounded ace though.

I bought one of the 2019 SG Juniors from GAK. It was two piece, possibly three, it was extremely hard to tell. It was a very nice guitar, but there was some poor finishing on the neck, so I sent it back.

I would also say that the varnish was very thick.

Sounded ace though.

Yeah same about my Lpj from 2019. Great guitar but the nitro is thick as hell!