Comments

• wesker123wesker123 Frets: 496
    @Winny_Pooh umm Jacob Rees-Mogg  :#
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    Lodious said:
    Aornic said:
    Lewy said:
    I saw a video a while back of him talking through the assembly process on a Strat and his accompanying chat certainly seemed to show him as a pretty unpleasant character. I can't be arsed to go back and find it again but my recollection is it was pretty misogynistic. Tit.

I believe you might mean this video?

He comes across as a fat bellend. 
    Fuck it. I'm just gonna say it. Isn't bigotry what got us here in the first place?
    Calling a fat guy fat guy fat maybe isn't nice, but I can't see how it's bigotry? (intolerance towards those who hold different opinions from oneself according to google). I'm also a fat(ish) guy so we don't even have different dietary opinions. I thought he came across as pretty obnoxious. Sorry if I've caused offence.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Lodious said:
    Lodious said:
    Aornic said:
    Lewy said:
    I saw a video a while back of him talking through the assembly process on a Strat and his accompanying chat certainly seemed to show him as a pretty unpleasant character. I can't be arsed to go back and find it again but my recollection is it was pretty misogynistic. Tit.

I believe you might mean this video?

He comes across as a fat bellend. 
    Fuck it. I'm just gonna say it. Isn't bigotry what got us here in the first place?
    Calling a fat guy fat guy fat maybe isn't nice, but I can't see how it's bigotry? (intolerance towards those who hold different opinions from oneself according to google). I'm also a fat(ish) guy so we don't even have different dietary opinions. I thought he came across as pretty obnoxious. Sorry if I've caused offence.
    It is. He does. Apology accepted, thank you, fella.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • idiotwindowidiotwindow Frets: 1397
    edited June 2020
    Maybe I've mixed in less rarefied circles than most people in this forum but I can't say I find Cruz's talk in the video particularly obnoxious. It's just some 'blokey' character telling a  few cocky anecdotes about working a few times with Mayer, including a moderately sexist and unfunny story about meeting Mayer's "friend".

He has been working in the Custom Shop along with a bunch of (I imagine mostly) men sanding and painting bits of wood and there are always jokers like Cruz in places like that. It's not as if he was a member of the Editorial Board of the Oxford University Press.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4182
    edited June 2020

there are always jokers like Cruz in places like that.
    There are, but they are not often public facing “masters” who’s work commands the biggest premium. 

I really don’t feel like Fender had a choice here. He’s known worldwide, and posted something that could not have been more contrary to the statement the company issued just days before. His continued presence could literally wipe value off the company.

Rough for him if it’s been his only foot wrong. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1205
    So to summarise, John Cruz made/designed guitars and Fulltone pedals to be thrown into rivers. Anyone else?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7160
    Babones said:
    So to summarise, John Cruz made/designed guitars and Fulltone pedals to be thrown into rivers. Anyone else?
    You’re never allowed to listen to The Police again 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993
    Babones said:
    You’re never allowed to listen to The Police again 
    People are waaaay ahead of you 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/jackkelly/2020/06/09/the-movement-to-defund-or-disband-police-heres-what-you-need-to-know-now/amp/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    What's wrong with his hands, they seem to be spasming uncontrollably?
    Not sure I'd trust him to make a guitar for me.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2695
    2020 can surely only go down in history as the year of hindsight
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4182

Or the year where people should obviously have applied a bit of foresight?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Lewy said:

Or the year where people should obviously have applied a bit of foresight?
    Hindsight is usually 20:20..... sadly foresight is very rarely anything other than a blurry mess...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3831
    Maybe I've mixed in less rarefied circles than most people in this forum but I can't say I find Cruz's talk in the video particularly obnoxious. It's just some 'blokey' character telling a  few cocky anecdotes about working a few times with Mayer, including a moderately sexist and unfunny story about meeting Mayer's "friend".

He has been working in the Custom Shop along with a bunch of (I imagine mostly) men sanding and painting bits of wood and there are always jokers like Cruz in places like that. It's not as if he was a member of the Editorial Board of the Oxford University Press.

Maybe so, but good that he got called out for it and maybe it might make others think twice before letting such things come out of their mouth..or keyboard, as it were.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • adampeteradampeter Frets: 775
    edited June 2020
    Again the world has gone mad, bloke who works with his hands in a factory all day with other similar people has opinions and humour that shocks the worlds snowflakes, 
    In the words of Ricky Gervaix "just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right"
    1reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3983
    adampeter said:
    Again the world has gone mad, bloke who works with his hands in a factory all day with other similar people has opinions and humour that shocks the worlds snowflakes, 
    In the words of Ricky Gervaix "just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right"
    Let's take that as a given and then on that basis assume that maybe what people are bothered about is something more serious than "being offended".
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • simonhpiemansimonhpieman Frets: 683
    Just to be clear, are we basing this entire story on an image posted anonymously on The Fretboard?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7160
    Just to be clear, are we basing this entire story on an image posted anonymously on The Fretboard?
    and the fact that he's been sacked, presumably? I dont think belittling this is an advisable route to tread. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • adampeteradampeter Frets: 775
    prlgmnr said:
    adampeter said:
    Let's take that as a given and then on that basis assume that maybe what people are bothered about is something more serious than "being offended".
    What are you offended by? the picture of the truck anonymously posted here? could you not see any humour in it? or did his attitude in the clip offend you?
    How serious was it? should someone lose there living over it?
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3983
    edited June 2020
    I'm not offended. I didn't say I was offended. I specifically said this wasn't about being offended.

As far as "Should John Cruz lose his job" I don't have a strong view either way, I'm not going to lose any sleep over him facing consequences for picking an unfortunate time to be a dickhead* but I don't see a Fender custom shop master builder as being a major locus for oppression or anything.

I'd also be surprised if he can't find a market for his builds in about 5 seconds after walking out of Fender for the last time.

*And even this is because a lot of brands have calculatedly decided that it will do them more financial good to vaguely appear in favour of current protests rather than because of any great change taking place in terms of actual rights.
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1013
    Hopefully he'll team up with John Page and help him sort out his headstock design.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom