Missing gigs

What's Hot
Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1258
Weekend before last I should have been playing the Acoustic Festival of Great Britain with one of my bands. Last weekend I should have had a couple of gigs in London (one at the Half Moon in Putney) in prep for playing the Isle of Wight festival next weekend.

This is on top of a good number of fun local pub gigs that haven’t happened. 

I’m pretty pissed off about this, felt like having a moan.

As you were.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    I was doing OK until this afternoon when a singer friend of mine popped round on his motorbike. He stood hanging over the gate and all social distancing was respected, But having chatted for 15 mins I'm now feeling like I'm missing lots of fun.

Back to life.
    Back to reality.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3049
    We were supposed to be playing one of our favourite venues on Saturday. We didn't play there last year due to their management changing.. just got back in and this all happened. 

I'm consoling myself with the thought that everyone will be mad for it when we get back out there properly. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm missing gigs to went from playing 4/5 a week to 0... very strange ive done roughly 250 gigs a year since 2012 ..and now nothing  but its good to practice and learn new songs to add to set and write new material which i wouldn't of done if we didn't have the lockdown.. but im ready to start again now..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4065
    250 gigs a year!   Didn't realise venues hosted so many days per week. 
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4722
    I'm not missing gigs. I'm really missing just playing ensemble music with other people. I don't seem to need to perform, but I do need to play. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10356
    250 gigs a year!   Didn't realise venues hosted so many days per week. 
    Yeah you can gig 4 nights a week quite easy just doing covers ... originals as often as you want with a bit of travelling. Frid, Sat and Sun are still the best paid normally though
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1258
    I'm not missing gigs. I'm really missing just playing ensemble music with other people. I don't seem to need to perform, but I do need to play. 
    Actually yes, that’s probably what I’m missing the most really.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10356
    Rowby1 said:
    Actually yes, that’s probably what I’m missing the most really.
    Well jamming over the net is a non starter due to latency but writing with other muso's over the net is very easy and it's kept me not only busy playing but determined to carry on in this manner even when the gigs are back on. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    One of the studios we have used for rehearsals in Colchester posted on base fook that they will open on the 15th with CV19 precautions and a one way system in the corridor etc. I messaged the funk band and got at best a like warm resonse. One of our singers teaches at another rehearsal studio near Chelmsford (which we also use). She has heard nothing from her employers about reopening as of last night.
    Whilst the urge to blow through a few things is strong, I too am reluctant to jump in just yet.

Very frustrating.
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 829
    edited June 2020
    First opportunity and Ill be out - absolutely no question.  Rehearsal, gigs anything.

Ive maybe got a different view to some though - Ive worked right though Covid - in fact my workload went up (Im a field engineer but support supermarkets, food production, transport and medical - amongst others).  My wife works night shifts in a care home, an shes been doing 5 a week to cover others as well.  Shes had 14 Covid + patients (all in their 80s/90s and all with dementia) but no staff are pos - 1 death....from cancer.  All those tested pos were neg when the went to hospital (non Covid related) - they get tested weekly,  and pos when they came back...having not been tested prior to discharge from Hospital (dont get me started on that one.....)  Weve both been tested every week or 2 and always neg.  

Given she has a face mask and gloves only, and those didnt come in the early days - I have got no mask/gloves/sanitiser or anything - except on 2 occasions where the customer provided (Toyota and Vision Labs.....) 

Given where she works, what I do - how we have both mixed (believe me - once you go "backstage" at supermarkets a 20 cm rule is rare let along 2 meters - similar in food production/packing), it puts a rather different complexion on how you view the risk....  

• pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    As much as I like playing and practising, it's always better to play with others, whether there's an audience or not. 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    This morning I was listening to one of Lee Sklar’s videos where he talks about playing off other musicians. You can record to a click in your bedroom, but it doesn’t have the excitement of playing with other people. 

Before lockdown I was rehearsing a solo singer, playing lounge jazz. Now I can learn all the chords, but until we play in the same room I don’t know which inversions I should use, or whether I should be comping along on a bass line with occasional chord stabs.

Like @paulmapp8306 I’m dying to get back into the rehearsal room.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 850
    Our practice venue is officially open from July, but they've let our bookings from Tuesday stand, to use us as a dry run and to take some photos. Looking forward to making noise with others, but ironically the virus has lead to an increase in the bass players volume of day job work, so he might be away......

I am also frustrated that unable to gig, we haven't achieved as much as I wanted writing or recording wise. Could have put the enforced time off to better use! 
  • First opportunity and Ill be out - absolutely no question.  Rehearsal, gigs anything.

Ive maybe got a different view to some though - Ive worked right though Covid - in fact my workload went up (Im a field engineer but support supermarkets, food production, transport and medical - amongst others).  My wife works night shifts in a care home, an shes been doing 5 a week to cover others as well.  Shes had 14 Covid + patients (all in their 80s/90s and all with dementia) but no staff are pos - 1 death....from cancer.  All those tested pos were neg when the went to hospital (non Covid related) - they get tested weekly,  and pos when they came back...having not been tested prior to discharge from Hospital (dont get me started on that one.....)  Weve both been tested every week or 2 and always neg.  

Given she has a face mask and gloves only, and those didnt come in the early days - I have got no mask/gloves/sanitiser or anything - except on 2 occasions where the customer provided (Toyota and Vision Labs.....) 

Given where she works, what I do - how we have both mixed (believe me - once you go "backstage" at supermarkets a 20 cm rule is rare let along 2 meters - similar in food production/packing), it puts a rather different complexion on how you view the risk....  

I can back up your experience in supermarkets. I'm a supermarket home delivery driver, and I've not had any down time during the lockdown other than the holiday I'm taking now (which should have been an actual, going away holiday, but that was cancelled).

And back of the shop, it's very rare that there's the room to be socially distancing. They're sort of doing it in the staff cafe, and there are signs everywhere, and some people wear masks constantly, but most of us just don't bother because too much of the stuff we handle is touched by too many people throughout the day to make any form of self-protection worth it, tbh. I always wash my hands before I eat, I always wipe down everything I touch in the van both before and after my runs, as does everyone else, and we never touch anything at the homes we go to. 

Thing is, one of the other drivers went down with it early, and hard, but since he's recovered and come back to work, so far no one else has.

Anyway, back to the original topic.

I'm not in a band, and the only thing I used to go to was a monthly singaround, and I miss that like anything. After playing in front of people (even if most of them weren't listening because they were too busy concentrating on what they were going to do next/had just done) strumming along on your own at home just isn't the same.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.