Help with getting started with rockabilly

What's Hot
MattGMattG Frets: 170
So i've not been about on here for a while, the last few years i've been in a rut musically and sort of fell out of love with playing especially whne i stopped playing live as it made me really struggle for motivation but recently i've been getting back into it and this time i want to do it properly!
I was a relatively lazy pop, indie and blues player but this time i want to start properly and have a more dynamic and less lazy playing style and i've alway loved rockabilly so I figured that would be a good place to start so any advice on getting started with rockabilly for beginers would be massively appreciated.

Cheers in advance all, and it's good to be back.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    Slap back delay, overdrive, tremelo are the only effects you need.

Some jazz chords and Travis-picking if you can manage it.

Jazz box and Bigsby are not essential.
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2423
    edited June 2020
    There's quite a lot of tuitional material on YouTube. Paul Pigat has some excellent tuition DVDs.

Buy Rockabilly compilation CDs cheap from HMV and other places to get the feel of it.

Overdrive is more the 'new' rockabilly - Stray Cats, etc. The guitars are cleaner on the original 50s recordings but plenty of slapback.

There are some great rockabilly bands around these days. Catch them live when lockdown is over.

I got into it aged fifteen when a friend's older brother challenged me to learn the guitar parts on Gene VIncent's first albums (which were rock & roll / rockabilly crossover). That was Cliff Gallup so quite a challenge D

• MattGMattG Frets: 170
    Jimbro66 said:
    There's quite a lot of tuitional material on YouTube. Paul Pigat has some excellent tuition DVDs.

Buy Rockabilly compilation CDs cheap from HMV and other places to get the feel of it.

Overdrive is more the 'new' rockabilly - Stray Cats, etc. The guitars are cleaner on the original 50s recordings but plenty of slapback.

There are some great rockabilly bands around these days. Catch them live when lockdown is over.

I got into it aged fifteen when a friend's older brother challenged me to learn the guitar parts on Gene VIncent's first albums (which were rock & roll / rockabilly crossover). That was Cliff Gallup so quite a challenge D

are there any specific learning resources you would recommend?
    I'm making my way through Justinguitar.com at the moment but could do with some more targetted learning as well.

Yeah im a huge stray cats fan i've been lucky enough to see them over here when they were supported by the jim jones revue and ive been hooked since!
  • Darrel Higham has some short YouTube vids that will give you a start.  He's a great player.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    The Damian Bacci stuff on YouTube is very clear. He has a couple of rockabilly courses as DVDs or as download. I haven’t seen them but his tuition style seems really clear. 
    Quite a few rockabilly courses on TrueFire and their stuff is usually well put together. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • SimonCSimonC Frets: 1399
    I got started down this road with a couple of excellent  Trufire courses by Jason Loughlin and Walter Broes, highly recommended.
  • yorkioyorkio Frets: 173
    edited June 2020
    I really like Randy Richter. Very clear and comprehensive.
  • MattGMattG Frets: 170
    thanks for all the advice guys i'll give these a look, i'm really excited to be starting down this route and am really enjoying playing agin.
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    Slap back delay, overdrive, tremelo are the only effects you need.

Some jazz chords and Travis-picking if you can manage it.

Jazz box and Bigsby are not essential.
    It's psychobilly, but P Paul Fenech always uses strat-style guitars with The Meteors I think. So agreed, semi/hollow body definitely not required.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2423
    Matt there have been some good suggestions here to help you along. I found I still have that Paul Pigat "Rockabilly Electric Guitar" DVD which no longer seems to be available in PAL format. It's for intermediate to advanced players but you said you've been playing in bands etc so you should find it OK I'm sure.

If you'd like me to send you a copy drop me a PM.
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    I have the following DVDs still with TAB booklets if you are interested drop a PM:

Rockabilly Guitar featuring Troy Dexter
    Rockabilly Guitar by Fred Sokolow
    Learn Rockabilly Guitar with 6 Great Masters [Hot Licks]
    The Guitar of Brian Setzer [Hot Licks]