NPD / Mini Review: Jam Pedals Delay Llama Xtreme

What's Hot
GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7155
This arrived on Wednesday but only had a chance to have a proper play yesterday evening. I'd taken the decision to move on my much loved Meet Maude because I wanted tap tempo and the additional functions as i'm limited to one delay by virtue of the size of my board. 

Wow. as much as I loved Maude, I dont think I'm going to miss it. This thing sounds stunning. For want of a better description, it sounds expensive. The standard delay has a wonderful warmth without losing clarity; the BBD noise almost feels like vinyl. Probably the first delay I've tried that stands up to my Moog MF104M really competitively. The Xtreme settings all sound great too, and will prove to be brilliant creative tools - the Vibrato set deep and slow is glorious wonk. Tape pretty much does what I loved out of Maude. Then we're on to the Pitch settings. Maybe not as much control as the Thermae, but tonally it absolutely wipes the floor with that. Couple that with the most insane level of packaging, and this has been one of the most impressive pedal discoveries I can think of - real magic. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• punchesjudypunchesjudy Frets: 1024
    Tldr version. He likes it. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I took the time to read this excellent review.

Always cheers me up when someone lands on something they like. 

Nice work, thanks for posting. 
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1057
    Great pedal. Love mine.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9514
    Nice review Gav, thanks for taking the time out to do it...

High praise indeed mate. These are getting a LOT of love lately, and I’ve just felt the Gasometer rise !!

Is there any background noise mate ?

I must comment on the Jam packaging; I think it’s superb, fun and shows a lot of ‘love’ and thought. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7155
    Nice review Gav, thanks for taking the time out to do it...

High praise indeed mate. These are getting a LOT of love lately, and I’ve just felt the Gasometer rise !!

Is there any background noise mate ?

I must comment on the Jam packaging; I think it’s superb, fun and shows a lot of ‘love’ and thought. 

BBDs inherently have noise- it’s considerably less than the Chase bliss offerings, and comparable with the Moog. The noise itself isn’t harsh as mentioned; I’d go so far as to say it’s desirable. 
  • Better than the Thermae? Well this one is definitely on the list...
    Better than the Thermae? Well this one is definitely on the list...
    I much prefer it. 
  • Better than the Thermae? Well this one is definitely on the list...
    I much prefer it. 
    I really did like the bubbly pitch-shifting on the Thermae, but from demos the Xtreme got very close.
    The core delay tone is much better on the Xtreme. You can craft differentials and patterns to far more detail on the thermae... but the Llama sounds better. 
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6682
    The core tone on it is fantastic. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • You can always expand it if you want more pitch-shifting control: just grab something like the 8 Step: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4FWJJqX_NA

Then you have a Thermae that actually sounds good ;)

Mine Llama is on order - can’t wait for it to arrive!
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12886
    Gav, have you tried a Hungry Robot Moby Dick, EQD Space Spiral, or Boss DM-2W?

I think you and I have quite similar tastes and I know you've been through ALL OF THE DELAYS. 

(I actually own a Moby Dick, but I'm intrigued as to how it compares to some other things). 
    I haven’t, though that and the skreddy were always of interest. They’re not analog though are they? I’m quite fussy about that. Empress are my favourite digital emulations I think. Best I can say about this Jam is that I can say that I’m no longer looking for delays. I have delay done :D
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12886
    They're "digital" in that they use the PT-whatever-it-is chip. (DM-2W is analogue though). They're very much analogue sounding and feeling though. 
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1057
    The core delay tone is much better on the Xtreme. You can craft differentials and patterns to far more detail on the thermae... but the Llama sounds better. 
    I'm glad to hear that from someone who has experience. I can only judge from demos due to my location. Always thought the CB functionality and form factor was really cool but never blown away with the sound.

One of the techs at Jam told me there was an expander box coming for the llama xtreme. Not sure if it is only a preset switcher or what, but even so it sounds promising!
    I'm glad to hear that from someone who has experience. I can only judge from demos due to my location. Always thought the CB functionality and form factor was really cool but never blown away with the sound.

One of the techs at Jam told me there was an expander box coming for the llama xtreme. Not sure if it is only a preset switcher or what, but even so it sounds promising!
    Always nice to learn that your future bank account will become additionally lighter 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7754

How many delay pedals is too many ?

Asking for a friend.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Paul_C said:

How many delay pedals is too many ?

Asking for a friend.
    This should be one of them 
  • Mike77Mike77 Frets: 14
    I'm gassing for something I didn't even know I needed now. Great review. :)